horseshoe bending technique?

mannek

is there any horseshoe benders out there? i am looking for suggestions on "proper" technique.  

today i bent and broke a bunch of our old and VERY worn out shoes, which was a big suprise to the onlooking horses.  :D

i held the first and weakest one like a bow and arrow, this worked and i bent it into an S, i then had to use my thigh to break it. the next few were much tougher and i had to hold them pressed against my thigh while bending one end up toward me, this seemed to be the best technique. i can't even imagine someone being able to pull them staight apart, holding infront at chest level :0

and just incase some of you mistakenly think i am a tough guy, i tried one of our brand new ones and didn't make even the slightest dent, i just went red in the face trying while the horses just kept looking on completely puzzeled :p

if anyone has any experience or info i would appreciate it.

all the best

mannek

In the one Milo article that I know of on horseshoe bending written by John Brookfield, he says that straightening the shoe is humanly impossible. Horseshoes are twisted into an S as you have discovered. As far as technique goes, John Brookfield directs the reader to study the photographs, grip really tight, and put your upper body strength into the bend. He also states that shoe strength varies greatly so you may find some shoes to be easy and others to be impossible.