Trouble Bending Yellow Nail

chrisshirling

Hi. First let me say, I love the board and the community here.

My question is what can I do to build-up the strength to bend the yellow nail?

It's been four weeks since I started bending. I bent a few of the white nails on the first go. Second week bent the rest of the whites and some of the greens. Third week I bent all of the greens.

I am on my fourth week now, and I cannot even kink the yellow nail. It does not move.

I bought 8lb and 10 lb sledgehammers and have started levering them to building up my wrist.

Will training with the sledgehammer enable me to eventually bend the yellows, or should I look at getting more nails to bend?

Thanks!

Sledges are cool, but "nothing improves nail bending like bending nails".

Buy a dozen feet of 3/16" square stock.

Start at 6 or 6.5 inches, work down to 5".

Bend all 12 feet of it.

You'll be ready for the Yellow.

For the beginner, it's all about technqiue and tissue firmness.

Improve on technique, harden your hands, work up your strength and stability with the sledges. Too easy.

Play around with the search.  This thread should help you:

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=11925&hl=timber

I'd also recommend buying and bending a butt-load of timber ties. I used these to work on form and eventually for volume bending and they are great. I bought a 30# bucket of them at Home Depot or Lowes for ~$30. Plus they look cool bent!

Do you bend overhand or underhand? I can bend the blue easy (in 15 sec or so) if I kink it underhand and then switch to overhand. I still cannot kink the yellow overhand. :whacked

Rolle

i have top agree to buy either 3/16 square or timber ties till you can bend the yellow. i did the same. in fact i just hit a new pr last night bending 3 60d nails in a row im so close to the grade 5 i can taste it :D good luck with bending and youll get the yellow in no time. :rock

I can't believe I didn't think of timber-ties.

If you can find them, the 30 pound bucket is perfect.

6" spiral nails. Square, 30-pound plastic buckets on the floor at Home Depot, 30-40$. WELL worth it.

I must have gotten a exceptionaly hard batch of timeber ties. I've bend the yellows d.o. several times but barely can kink the ties. 3/16 square is a good in betweener. I must have picked up some Cld rolled or something because the most recent stock is way harder to bend then the home dpot variety.

What style are you using to bend Chris? I remember having big bruises from a yellow all over my right thigh trying to bend a yellow braced when I started, then when I learned the DO crushdown that all changed.

I can't believe I didn't think of timber-ties.

If you can find them, the 30 pound bucket is perfect.

6" spiral nails.  Square, 30-pound plastic buckets on the floor at Home Depot, 30-40$.  WELL worth it.

hey bender, how many Ties are in the bucket? I got a 5lb box a while ago and it was like $12, if you get a lot more in the 30lb one, i'd rather get that.

-Jon

I must have gotten a exceptionaly hard batch of timeber ties.  I've bend the yellows d.o. several times but barely can kink the ties.  3/16 square is a good in betweener.  I must have picked up some Cld rolled or something because the most recent stock is way harder to bend then the home dpot variety.

Hi. I bring the nail wrapped in the rolled up blue pads the bag of nails came with, up to my sternum. THen with an overhand grip, I take a deep breath and put my traps into it. It feels like most of the pressure is on my wrists, but they cannot just transfer the power.

Am I doing bad for not being able to bend in the yellow in the first month?

There are a lot in a bucket. I don't have an a good feel for it, but 700+ sounds close.

There are two types of timber ties. There's Made-In-America (or south america) Timber ties which were smooth, and there are Made-In-China Timber ties which were flakey and rough. Check your crate to see which is which as they do mark what country the nails come from.

If I recall, the US ones were a bit harder than the Yellow, but not much. The Chineese ones were noticably easier than the Yellow.

When I started, I had the "hard" ones, later to find that Home Depot started to only sell the "easy" ones. If I recall, there was a 30-40 pound difference in the two nails.

Of course not! You just have a weak point. Train your wrists hard, give it some time, and your weak points will come up to meet your strong points. Stay focused and you'll meet and then surpass your bending goals.

Also, by the time you finnish bending that 30lb box of Timber Ties, you'll look back on this statement and laugh. You'll see. Just bend that whole box first.

Definitely not. When I first started bending, I could barely make the green nail without killing myself, and after a few weeks of trying the yellow and failing I gave up for a couple of months. Bought the timber ties in a 15 lb. bucket and had a go at them a while down the road, and after a few shots I could finally get one (though, I was using really bad technique and that didn't help at all). That was the first step toward moving up, and they're a great way to transition up to the next level.

If you haven't already read the "Unbraced Bending" article by Dave Morton and Greg Amidon, download it, print it, and read it over and over again - learning the tricks to a solid DU bend is what got me moving quickly, and once you start getting the 1/4" round stock to bend it will increase quickly from there. I think that almost anyone who has done some lifting and grip work is probably capable of making a yellow or even the blue nail from the get-go, but without honing technique and finding your groove you'll never know your potential even if you have plenty of strength.

Get the timber ties and practice, practice, practice again and again until you're tearing through them like butter. Then, once the technique is in place you'll go far in a hurry, but you've got to build that base!

VeGripper

i have top agree to buy either 3/16 square or timber ties till you can bend the yellow. i did the same. in fact i just hit a new pr last night bending 3 60d nails in a row im so close to the grade 5 i can taste it  :D  good luck with bending and youll get the yellow in no time. :rock

Hi again.

I just bought a 5lb box full of hot galv. 60d 6" timber ties. They seem pretty weak, maybe as weak as the white nail.

What type should I have gotten? Thanks!

Edit: The seem to vary in strength. Some seem a bit harder than the green. Perhaps I should have gotten a large bucket instead of a 5lb box ;)

Edited by chrisshirling

i have top agree to buy either 3/16 square or timber ties till you can bend the yellow. i did the same. in fact i just hit a new pr last night bending 3 60d nails in a row im so close to the grade 5 i can taste it  :D  good luck with bending and youll get the yellow in no time. :rock

Hi again.

I just bought a 5lb box full of hot galv. 60d 6" timber ties. They seem pretty weak, maybe as weak as the white nail.

What type should I have gotten? Thanks!

Edit: The seem to vary in strength. Some seem a bit harder than the green. Perhaps I should have gotten a large bucket instead of a 5lb box ;)

from what i see timber ties vary in strength i have seen three strengths. the shiny ones are easiest the ones that look old and covered in concrete are medium level and the ones i have bought which are dull looking are the toughest i think. you really cant pick and choose. mine were in a 30lb bucket i bought for 40 bucks id say there are about 300 or more in there.if you want pm me maybe i can send you some to test out....update i have bent a grade 5 bolt with reverse grip with a quick brace for the initial kink then double overhand for the rest and crushdown.this was done about 5pm and the crushdown was tough. but in the next two weeks i hope to be able to do it without a brace.

Edited by Concrete Pete

Where can I buy a bucket of timber ties online?

I can bend two whites together but I can't bend one yellow. :erm

Edited by DieselWeasel