New Pr Man Vs. Can (i Win)

popeye

About 45 seconds. I tried to get a second one off in under 2 minutes but failed.

Nice job man. I've been able to get my can busting down to 2-3 squeezes but have to brace one arm on my leg. I want to eventually get it to one squeeze with arms in front standing up with a few prep squeezes like Jon Wood does in his video.

Keep up the good work man. And wear gloves. I've slice my fingers and hands up all the time doing it and it sucks when I try to do the grippers again. I'm thinking a pair of cheap batting gloves would work well. Although in Jon's video he just uses a little tape on his palms, must have leather skin I think. :bow

45 seconds is good, how long have you been practicing for this?

What sort of exercises do you perform to build up to this event?

Keep it going, it is for me one of the most visually impressive feats of strength.

Grip it, Squeeze it, Crush it and Destroy it! Yeap, I think you got that down Popeye and with great speed. Great Job!

Glad you killed a Diet soda with no caffeine, I mean that is a bad as near beer!

I don't condone anyone running out and swilling a Jolt cola or Guinness, remember I am an addictions counselor. :D

Congrats on the can. And Deja vu!

I burst my first ever can this weekend too. After I trained grippers and tore a phonebook, so I was spent but I said "screw it--just do it!"

Only tried it twice before and all I got was "leaks", but this time a nice explosion--burst right in the middle like it was cut on a tablesaw.

I did a 16 oz beer can, which is probably easier due to the length--so maybe there's a tip for people who are having difficulty with this. Took about 45 seconds. Sure, I used lots of chest but no "bracing".

Phonebook was only 1-1/8" compressed, but I was quite surprised that I did it instantly in one quick motion--so that's a PR too!

Don't PR's feel nice! Guess my recent introduction of wrist work is paying off. Now I need to go get some cards and see if I can surprise myself there too.

45 seconds is good, how long have you been practicing for this?

What sort of exercises do you perform to build up to this event?

Keep it going, it is for me one of the most visually impressive feats of strength.

I tried it last week and failed. Then I tried it again and suceeded.

My training has consisted of grippers, pony clamp, home made wrist roller, block pinch, powerball and a bar with a weight at one end that I hold behind me and lift with my wrist.

Do you guys bury the can into your hands deep in your palm or dig your fingers into the soft of the can? I have a tough time doing it arms out as opposed to braced on one leg. It usually pops a little leak in the thing before I can get her.

I used the one-hand-over, one-under method. The index/middle fingernails are against the thumbpads.

I used heavy leather gloves, which made it tough to grip, especially cause my hands are small. I'll have to try thinner, tight-fitting gloves or mabye wrapping the can in a towel is a good idea?

thanks for the reply, I must try this sometime, probably after the grip comp now, would make a good event for the summer, drink one pop one!

can anyone do this one handed?

I don't think its ever been done. The vets will have to answer that. I thought I read in another thread that it takes roughly 500-600 lbs of pressure to burst a can. Two hands can be done but I don't think one hand is. If it has been done I would love to see it.

Not totally sure, someone will correct me though.

For a one hand burst, the best bet might be to try to drive the point of the thumb through the side. I don't think it's ever been done, though. Might be a good feat for the thumb strength freaks out there to try. Once you get your first one, there's a pretty rapid learning curve to it. My first attempt ever is floating around here on video some place. Pretty funny to look at in retrospect. You'll improve fast. I was doing the can bursting party trick a lot last summer, and I could nail one in about 2-5 seconds.

Edited by CMunger