Finger Tip Push Ups

kelby

I don't think it would help with tearing cards or building the thumbpads, but it seems it would help for apples, as it would help build finger and fingertip strength.

Probably the best way to train for crushing apples is.... crushing apples. :D

I think some people work this exercise before having enough finger strength. It can really hurt the ligaments of the fingers if you allow your finger tips to bend back while you do the push up. Keep the whole hand tight. Often I work this exercise with my fingers perpendicular to the floor, it feels like your finger bones will go through your finger tips.

Never really did many of those. What do they build besides finger strength? Maybe a bit of the pinch?

:mellow It depends on how you do them. As with everything, use creativity after you've built a solid foundation. I feel tension all the way to my spine [everything should do this, in my opinion], depending on how I do them. I prefer taking fingers away to reps, personally. Static work is really good for your base strength- whatever area. Try hands spread, narrow; fingers pointing in, out, up, down; between two chairs spread apart; etc., etc.. Along with the hammers, this exercise will make your wrists very strong.

I think some people work this exercise before having enough finger strength. It can really hurt the ligaments of the fingers if you allow your finger tips to bend back while you do the push up.

Absolutly true. Good advice. Listen to this guy. He's got the right idea.

I too have seen too many young martial artists doing silly push-ups with their fingers bent back way beyond their natural ranges of motion. Not good for anything. Bad for the joints, the ligaments, tendons. It's also bad to look at, as fingers shouldn't bend like that. And these people trained that way daily...

If you want to keep this exercise, do focus strongly on keeping your fingers straight and tight. If they do hyperextend, stop for the day. Like squating with bad form, you're better off not doing them than doing them wrong.

I do recall some one from a long previous post doing finger-tip-push-ups on two cooking sheets complete with cooking spray. That's hard. I woudln't want to mess with that guy.

As far as bending you're refering to somewhat hyperextending outwards like your opening your hand as much as you can? Or bending in the natural motion like your making a fist? Also, do you guys have any special form for finger placement, such as a circle with all the digits, spread out wide or narrow, etc...?

I've tried them once or twice before and have def felt that back tension Glute, I know what you mean. Wonder if finger pushups translate to helping upper back strength at all.

If you want to keep this exercise, do focus strongly on keeping your fingers straight and tight.  If they do hyperextend, stop for the day.  Like squating with bad form, you're better off not doing them than doing them wrong.

Eric,

I think I have a great idea for your site. Maybe you can prescribe a workout like what you mentioned above complete with photos. Then we would have a reference! :)

I think that bodyweight is an issue also, I weigh about 67kgs and worked my way from three finger to one finger, one thumb press-ups over a period of a few months.

I think that at a lower-end body weight and that my fingers are quite short, this allowed me to progress with them without seeing the 'unnatural' flexing that Bender was quite right to talk about. I saw my friend doing them last night and was horrified to see wht his fingers were doing, bad form in this exercise must equal some nasty potential damage.

I do believe though that it is a great for certain cross-overs E.g. My twin has mastered his 30lb blob along time ago but he can still not pick it up by the face because he does not have the finger-tip strength to lift it. I, on the other hand, cannot do all the blob work he can do (1 handed tosses etc.) but can lift it by the face, my record being 30lb blob with 10lb attached. I put this down to this fingertip training....Any thoughts?

Digz.

Fingertip pushups can be done with the fingertips extended outward. This is an unnatural position, but one you'll find your fingers in often when rock climbing. It's essential to build upstrength in those small ligaments.

Edited by Left Side

Ah crap that hurts. I just read the thread and had to try them right now. Did about 8 pushups and my finger joints feel like they were gonna break. I think I did a good job of keeping them straight so its just pain from having weak hands I spose.

You think just holding yourself in pushup position on the finger tips would build strength in them, like iso stuff instead of movement? The movement seems to hurt more.

Fingertip pushups can be done with the fingertips extended outward. This is an unnatural position, but one you'll find your fingers in often when rock climbing. It's essential to build upstrength in those small ligaments.

That may be true for the grip on a rock with a particular shape but if your finger tips are extended from doing finger tip pushups it is because of weakness, they simply are not pulling and you are not building strength.

I used to do these, but now that I've done block weights, pinch grip work, CoC, and other gripwork, my fingers are much more stronger now than they were when I was doing those.

dude

Yes. Although it isn't particularly bad to do reps, holding yourself at various stages of the push-up position will make you stronger in a different way. Remember to build a solid foundation first.

Foggymountainmuscle

This is not true. You may not be able to perform the extended finger push-up with correct form now, but when you do it will be because you are stronger- especially through the palm. You will certainly be building strength.

I still disagree, your fingers are not getting stronger by being jammed into the joint while the tendons and ligaments hyper extend. Doing a finger tip pushup properly is much more stressful on the palm than doing more with the finger tips laxed. I think it would be much more productive to learn the form while doing finger tip pushups on the knees than trying to build up enough palm strength while jamming the joints of the finger.

I still disagree, your fingers are not getting stronger by being jammed into the joint while the tendons and ligaments hyper extend.  Doing a finger tip pushup properly is much more stressful on the palm than doing more with the finger tips laxed.  I think it would be much more productive to learn the form while doing finger tip pushups on the knees than trying to build up enough palm strength while jamming the joints of the finger.

I recognize the misunderstanding.

Fingertip push-ups with fingers straight down is a fine exercise, but by no means the only 'proper' one. As long as the fingers are in a natural ROM, it is proper.

As you continue to develop your strength with this exercise, you will notice the many variations and their usefulness. For example, it is an excellent way to develop the wrists. You will eventually be able to do reps of fingers facing out, to fingers pointing down- and back again. Don't limit yourself, but be cautious just the same.

I have a feeling, if you continue to grow with this, you may change your perspective. :upsidedwn

Fingertip push-ups with fingers straight down is a fine exercise, but by no means the only 'proper' one. As long as the fingers are in a natural ROM, it is proper.

This statement doesn't contradict what I've been saying all along.

Just remember guys if your fingers feel very bad after doing these, you will need to retool your technique.

This statement doesn't contradict what I've been saying all along.

Just remember guys if your fingers feel very bad after doing these, you will need to retool your technique.

Being within that natural ROM is the key . Your fnger tips only have about 5% of motion back agianst the knuckle (learned that when I broke my fingertips last year)everyone will have alittle variance but if severe pain is there and not going away after a while your doing more harm than good.

If you want suggestions on finger tip strength I recentley purchased my own set of eagle loops and there great if you can stand the pain during use for pull ups,DLs ,and chin ups. You also don't have to worry about bending your fingers backwards because if you don't have the strength yet to do them you fall to the floor when your fingers straighten.

(learned that when I broke my fingertips last year)

OUCH!!!

How did you do that??

Its a long story to put it short.I install overhead doors and service them for a living commercial and residintial. I was supposed to tear out a door that had a broken spring and install a new one. I had the cust push opener button to help off floor because with broken springs the opener won't barely open it. When it came off the floor a little i put my hand under to lift it up but before I got my other under the customer walked up and pulled the op release.Needles to say I can't one arm a 400# door so it crushed my fingertips like a guilitien. The part that hurt the worst was picking up the door with the smashed hand to get my other hand under to lift it. HURT LIKE HELL! :yikes

(learned that when I broke my fingertips last year)

OUCH!!!

How did you do that??

Its a long story to put it short.I install overhead doors and service them for a living commercial and residintial. I was supposed to tear out a door that had a broken spring and install a new one. I had the cust push opener button to help off floor because with broken springs the opener won't barely open it. When it came off the floor a little i put my hand under to lift it up but before I got my other under the customer walked up and pulled the op release.Needles to say I can't one arm a 400# door so it crushed my fingertips like a guilitien. The part that hurt the worst was picking up the door with the smashed hand to get my other hand under to lift it. HURT LIKE HELL! :yikes

WOW! That must've hurt... like hell! :laugh What a dumb/silly/etc. customer. :dry

one thing people don't understand is that a finger pushups is for striking/hitting with the fingers and not for grip training. I am a martial artist and I know this.

I know this my sound rude to do, but I'd rather use my fingers to tear skin or muscle- than to poke. I understand it may be quicker in a pinch [no pun], but weighing in the health aspect in the preparation and conditioning phase- it just seems like a better trade.

tearing skin and muscle in self-defense is good, but isn't killing with only your fingers is better? Thats why marial arts train there fingers.