Slippery Blobs

ryaneverk2

zcor - I've never used rosin before - I somehow thought that was considered cheating.  Isn't rosin sort of sticky or tacky?

I put it up for Ryan`s benefit. If his hands produce excessive moisture,

I think he would benefit from knowing about all products that would allow

him to trial and error to help with wet hands.

There is also Pitcher`s Rosin that keeps the hands dry. I do not know if it

is cheating to use rosin or not. I do not follow contests or any rules that may

be in place. Anyway, I view it as inconsequential if one trains in one`s own realm.

My feeling is that a 40 lb. blob will feel just as heavy whether one has a drying

agent on his hands or not. I have used rosin at times, but did pay attention if

it was tacky or sticky.

Good question though Climber

zcor - I've never used rosin before - I somehow thought that was considered cheating.  Isn't rosin sort of sticky or tacky?

It would just be for training use. I mean, if I were to put athletic tape on the blobs to help with them slipping, then rosin shouldn't be too big of a deal. :D

In a contest situation, only calcium carbonate (chalk) is allowed, as far as I know.

It would just be for training use. I mean, if I were to put athletic tape on the blobs to help with them slipping, then rosin shouldn't be too big of a deal. :D

In a contest situation, only calcium carbonate (chalk) is allowed, as far as I know.

Calcium carbonate? Isn`t that billiard chalk? Ryan, if you are using that, you

could not get a grip on your own ass. :)

MAGNESIUM CARBONATE is the chalk you want. :)

maybe get it sandblasted to give it a slight even texture and then repaint it?  Its a tool to train with, not some exacting standard that cant be modified....

~Steve

you hit the nail right on the head :laugh i think all the old york dumbbells have been sand blasted i have a lot of them and they all have a rough texture they probably did it before they painted them plus all my york plates have a rough surface :rolleyes Edited by DAN PRAYDIS

Calcium carbonate? Isn`t that billiard chalk? Ryan, if you are using that, you

could not get a grip on your own ass.  :)

MAGNESIUM CARBONATE is the chalk you want. :)

Woops, I think you're right. :blush;)

Edited by ryaneverk2

I've never done anything to change the texture of the York blobs we have. A couple hundred attempts and getting stronger seems to cure any problems with the surface.

I do remove the gray hammertone paint from hex blocks.

I've never done anything to change the texture of the York blobs we have.  A couple hundred attempts and getting stronger seems to cure any problems with the surface.

I do remove the gray hammertone paint from hex blocks.

how do you remove it? just sandpaper?

The problem with my York Blob is that sneaky little fellow who comes in my garage at night and glues it to the floor. Seriously, I have lifted Doc's Blob and the surface is fairly rough as a result of the million or so times he's picked it up, most of the paint is worn off as well, whatever was on it before. I have a Blob50 with flat black Rustoleum on it that's kind of in the middle texture wise but weighs in just a hair over 50# that I can lift sometimes. I also have my York Blob that weighs a hair over 52# and was slick as snot. I have the Rustoleum textured paint on as a training aid - and I still can't budge it. After I can do it with the texture on it, I'll strip it down and put the flat black on it. Then I'll say I can actually lift it. In reality, I think deliberately rusting it might be the best solution. Not to the point of big pits in the surface but enough to make some surface texture. It's kind of the luck of the draw, if you buy one that's rough when you get it, everyone thinks that's fine so making it that way should be OK as well. Also considering that they come it different shapes as well, Blobs have some pretty significant differences in difficulty if they all had the same texture. My York is the rounded shape and slick but I like it - when I can do this one - I fugure I can do any of them.

To remove hammertone paint:

Drop block on gravel, scrape paint, repeat until paint is all gone.

Edited by Sean Dockery

• 2 weeks later...

try magic grip from mueller. u can buy it at www.powerliftingsuperstore.com. it's not tacky and it's not chalk, but it's an adhesive that helps repel water. i use it a lot at my gym, since they won't allow me to use chalk. it's easy to clean off, since all u need is water and soap to get rid of it, but mainly water, though.

Well, I brought it inside, but it didn't seem to help a whole lot. On the night I tried that I actually had to stop my workout for a family crisis, but I had lifted enough to realize it wasn't gonna be good enough.

I ended up putting a layer of atletic tape on them, and that plus liberal amounts of chalk seems to help quite a bit. What can I say, I just have some sweaty hands. :blush

I figure I'll keep working at them with the tape, and then when a particular blob gets easy w/ the tape, I'll take it off and work on being able to do it without the tape. I might also take them to some gravel area and just drop them over and over to get the paint off, so they end up nice and.... not slick. :D

I really appreciate everyone's suggestions.

Well, I brought it inside, but it didn't seem to help a whole lot.  On the night I tried that I actually had to stop my workout for a family crisis, but I had lifted enough to realize it wasn't gonna be good enough.

I ended up putting a layer of atletic tape on them, and that plus liberal amounts of chalk seems to help quite a bit.  What can I say, I just have some sweaty hands. :blush

I figure I'll keep working at them with the tape, and then when a particular blob gets easy w/ the tape, I'll take it off and work on being able to do it without the tape.  I might also take them to some gravel area and just drop them over and over to get the paint off, so they end up nice and.... not slick. :D

I really appreciate everyone's suggestions.

Does the athletic tape work well? I figured that it would just stretch and pull off. I'll have to give it a try.

It works well. I put it over the top, from where the handle used to be up and over the top and down to the same spot on the opposite side. The biggest problem I've had is the tape tearing some on the edge of the blob where my thumb rubs it. I actually put a new strip of tape over that part, but I wrapped it all the way around the blob so it overlapped itself, since it wouldn't stick to the existing tape which was real chalky.

Clean the blob first and then stick the tape on, and it should do okay.

Have you tried antiperspirant on your hands? Not right before (since your hands might be a bit more slippery), but maybe a few hours earlier.

Have you tried antiperspirant on your hands?  Not right before (since your hands might be a bit more slippery), but maybe a few hours earlier.

Mmmm.... no. I did think of using baby powder to sort of dry them up, but haven't done that.

The tape and chalk seems to work well. I'll probably stick with that until I get strong enough to overcome the slipperiness.

• 2 years later...

My pinch has been poor since the temp dropped, blobs have been very slippery. I'm going to have to follow climber's advice and bring the blobs inside before any PR attempts. Who knows, maybe I'm getting stronger with the added degree of difficulty, but on some days the blobs won't budge at all. I knew something was wrong when I couldn't lift the 40 in warmups the other day, in the past I could always lift that weight no matter how weak or tired I was.

I removed the hammertone slime from my 52.5 hex, painted it as Rick Browne suggested and broke it from the ground for the first time despite the cold weather. It always seemed unliftable to me before, and I wondered how Sean Dockery ever lifted the other half of my 105 until I read he removed the hammertone from his as well.

I've noticed facelifts are more reliably achieved than normal blob lifts for me in the cooler weather.