How Do You Guys Rate Grippers?

Old Dax

A few of you will quote a gripper as, say, a "1.7" or a "2.2" to alow comprison with CoC grippers. Is this done by experience or do yo use a formula / spreadsheet such as the one on Tom Blacks site?

I'm wanting to rate my collection of:

CoC T, CoC#1, CoC#2, CoC#3 and soon to arrive RB180, RB210 and RB240. so I can get a good progression on KTA.

Any hints?

Dax

For the most part its personal experience, grippers vary so much. There is a chart I believe in the gripper Faq section in which they take the gripper spring width and make a measurement from that. Others use the bathroom scale method, placing the gripper on the scale and appling pressure to close and rating from there.

It varies but the ones used in competition have been tested as much as they can. If the CoC 3 is reported as needing 280 pounds to close and then when tested comes in at 260lbs or less then one can say it's less than a '3' (say 2.75). Once you have a single base line comparison you can start comparing others in the same way. However, all other variables must remain the same. So how deep the spring is set, left handed winding or right, the width between the handles and so on MUST be indentical for accurate comparisons.

As that is nigh on impossible I never worry about it and just concentrate on shutting the grippers. For the purposes of the question - KTA progression - how yours compare with anyone elses doesn't matter. So just squeeze them and line 'em up in order of difficulty.

Nuff said?

It varies but the ones used in competition have been tested as much as they can. If the CoC 3 is reported as needing 280 pounds to close and then when tested comes in at 260lbs or less then one can say it's less than a '3' (say 2.75). Once you have a single base line comparison you can start comparing others in the same way. However, all other variables must remain the same. So how deep the spring is set, left handed winding or right, the width between the handles and so on MUST be indentical for accurate comparisons.

As that is nigh on impossible I never worry about it and just concentrate on shutting the grippers.  For the purposes of the question - KTA progression - how yours compare with anyone elses doesn't matter. So just squeeze them and line 'em up in order of difficulty.

Nuff said?

Cheers Mobsterone!

and soon to arrive RB180, RB210 and RB240

Very nice investment!!!!!

:bow

Tell us (me) what you think when they come in. I am pondering ordering the RB210 very soon.

When you get it tell me how it compares the the #2.

Les bon temps rouler!

RL

Edited by LAHotSauce

and soon to arrive RB180, RB210 and RB240

Very nice investment!!!!!

:bow

Tell us (me) what you think when they come in. I am pondering ordering the RB210 very soon.

When you get it tell me how it compares the the #2.

Les bon temps rouler!

RL

Will do!

Edited by Old Dax

Also if you've got the money to ship them and you are hell bent on "rating" them you could send them to someone in your area, preferably a #3 closer, or in the states to "rate" for you. They would be able to give you an estimate of the difficulty of the gripper based on the grippers they've closed. That would probably be an exorbitant shipping fee though.

Also if you've got the money to ship them and you are hell bent on "rating" them you could send them to someone in your area, preferably a #3 closer, or in the states to "rate" for you.  They would be able to give you an estimate of the difficulty of the gripper based on the grippers they've closed.  That would probably be an exorbitant shipping fee though.

That does sound 'spensive.

I'll go with Mobsterone's idea, when I get them.

BTW I've just ordered a Heavygrip HG200 off ebay a bargain at £10 incl. P&P

and I also got a digital dyno for £4.10, might be rubbish but I figured I would gamble.

Here's the tried and true GARUNTEED way to rate your gripper. Thats right this method will NEVER fail, it will give the exact same reading EVERY single time. What is it you wonder? Simple, listen carefully, there are only two ratings to this method......Closed and not !!! :):) :P

Other that who cares right? Hahahahaaha, sorry couldn't resist

Simple, listen carefully, there are only two ratings to this method......Closed and not !!!  :)  :)

Yes!! :D I haffta agree.... this method works with me 100% of the time!! :laugh