One Hand Lift

climber511

I built myself a one hand lift handle (1"). Now before I mess myself up and get hurt doing singles - how would you guys train for this? With any luck, maybe David Horne might jump in with his thoughts of reps, sets, percents, frequency, etc. He seems to have this lift figured out - but I welcome everyones thoughts on the thing. Vbar training always leaves my back sore and I hope this will help the Vbar lifts as I'm approaching my upper body strength limit on the Vbar. The kettlebell work seems to be helping but I don't need another injury right now. My thoughts are to build a big base before I go heavier than maybe 80% or so. What do you all think?

I built myself a one hand lift handle (1").  Now before I mess myself up and get hurt doing singles - how would you guys train for this?  With any luck, maybe David Horne might jump in with his thoughts of reps, sets, percents, frequency, etc.  He seems to have this lift figured out - but I welcome everyones thoughts on the thing.  Vbar training always leaves my back sore and I hope this will help the Vbar lifts as I'm approaching my upper body strength limit on the Vbar.  The kettlebell work seems to be helping but I don't need another injury right now.  My thoughts are to build a big base before I go heavier than maybe 80% or so.  What do you all think?

HEY CLIMBER I WILL BE WATCHING THIS POST TO LEARN TO WHEN I WAS DOING MY VBAR LIFTS I WAS USING MY BACK TO AND NOT MUCH TECHIQUE BUT AFTER WATCHING ALL THE VIDEOS I SEE THAT YOU HOLD YOUR ARM IN TIGHT TO YOUR BODY DO A SMALL SQUAT AND PULL SORTTA GLUING YOUR ARM TO YOUR BODY SO IT DOESN'T STRETCH AND PULL I WILL BE TRYING TO LIFT LIKE THIS NOW AND NOT TRY TO POWER THE BAR UP GOOD LUCK AND THAT BAR IS EXACTLY ONE INCH THANKS :D AND ONE ARM RESTS AGAINST YOUR LEG

Edited by DAN PRAYDIS

Dan - did you check out Johan's 171K Vbar lift? That's probably the better technique to try for. Oh I have two new Vbar PRs from the other night on my 25 mm Vbar. Train hard but don't beat me - LOL. I tried the quick grab and pull like he does and it didn't work for me - I have to set my hand and position myself just right to do well.

The v-bar lift can be demanding on the upper back. It is important not doing them too frequently; not more than once a week. The most common injuries with the one hand lift are affecting the trapezius muscle. This lift should likewise not be performed frequently; once a week may be too often. Extremely important with proper warm up for the trapezius before attempting heavy weights in the one hand lift. Tiger balm would be a good thing to use. I have injured my traps doing the one hand lift and so has David Horne so be careful. I doubt your upper body strength is holding you back in the v-bar. It just feels like that when your grip is close to its limit. You may realise this when you discover that you can pull a lot more in the one hand lift than in the v-bar.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

Its a good thing to always train vbar before the OHL on the same day.

Since the vbar is normally trained using singles you can use the same weight

for controlled reps on the OHL (as a first approach, later you will use more weight for the OHL even when doing reps).

If I max out on the OHL I always have done the vbar and some bending before.

With that my traps/back and shoulders are warmed up pretty good.

Trouble with the 1 hand lift is that you ned to be strong all over. If I were you I'd start with some lightish poundages (140kg) and concentrate on getting your technique right. Take a look at the vid of dave doing the lift at the europeans - his technique is great.

One other thought - if I didn't have to train this lift for a competition then I wouldn't bother. It's not fun when things start getting heavy and you do run the risk of getting injured :(.

I think that climber511 is talking about having made a 1'' diameter lifting handle that is held like an RT handle, and that he wants to use it to improve his onehanded lifting strength on the V-bar. In the past I trained onehanded lifts once a week, and did several different lifts in the same session. I would do RT lifts, Ring lifts, non rotating 1'' and 2 3/8'', Inch handle lifts and EZ bar suitcase lifts. All were done doing singles until failure. I was able to make weekly progress on all lifts.

Exactly what Old Guy said.

I would do RT lifts, Ring lifts, non rotating 1'' and 2 3/8'', Inch handle lifts and EZ bar suitcase lifts. All were done doing singles until failure. I was able to make weekly progress on all lifts.

Wow!, what were your PR's on all those lifts? Did you train them all at one time or span them out? :bow

Did them all in the same session. I don't want to mention what I built up to poundagewise, and certainy could not duplicate most of them currently. BTW also did 3'' thickbar and plate pinches in the same workout. I was able to do this as it was not until the next day that my hands got really sore.