Negitives

Guest Harlan Jacobs

Guest Harlan Jacobs

Through many years of weight training, I have done negitives on many exercises.I have never been a fan of then except for maybe bench. Then it was just to get use to the feeling of the weight. I know many people on this board are big fans of negitives. I just spoke with sybersnott, and he told how well he liked them. I can understand how they would help to hold a gripper closed once you have it shut. But as far as helping you close it I don't see how it would help.To me, that is like comparing a crush grip with a supporting grip.The negitives would be great for a support grip,But a crush grip ? Now before someone gets all fored up about this let me say , I know I have been proven wrong on my thinking. I would just like to be explained to  why ?

Harlan,

You should read the article, titled The Hand and Negatives, by gorilla Hands,  it is under the training section, but make sure you view it from the beginning, this may help you understand your question a bit better.

Harlan, I think that most people on here have not had much success with negatives for crushing. SS is very outspoken about them, but it seems he is about the only one getting a lot out of them. His achievements show that they work for him, but it would seem that the majority of heavy crushers haven't done much negative work (going by what is posted here). Heath said they make his crush weaker. Richard Sorin told me in a phone conversation that he never used his grippers for negatives while training for the Silver Crush #3 he shut to get 1st COC. Wannagrip said they do not help him. It would seem that you didn't need them to conquer your #3 either. I have never closed my #3 but if I ever do I don't think it will be because of negatives. Wannagrip posted about this a while ago questioning why it only worked (apparently) for 2 people (Kinnney and SS).

BTW, if someone benching what you do told me negatives were the way to go, I would try it too.  :)

baldy,

Right on brother!  Yes, you are correct in stating that they worked for me.  And just because they worked for me doesn't mean they can't work for someone else.

Herein lies the paradox..... what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another.

Unfortunetly, you might have to "experiment" with what does work (for you), and what doesn't.  Severe negatives worked for me like gangbusters.  I made tremendous gains... but that's just me.  They worked for Kinney.  It will NOT work for everyone, so now you try what does work, and what does not.

I say give them a try.  Ya never know until you do!!

Syber, they didn't work for me either. Currently I don't do any crush work but when I do start working with grippers again I will probably stick to full range movements with weight I can handle. That seems to be what works for me. Reps.

Guest DavidHW

FWIW, I made my first big leap of progress (from 3/4 inch to about 5 mm) on my No. 3 gripper @ two weeks after starting negatives. For me, they've worked. Well. Granted, I'm still struggling to get the last 1-2 mm on the No. 3. And the negatives may have only gotten me to a certain point of strength that's going to take some other activity to help surpass. But I *am* sure that doing negatives has made my strength more *consistent* over different workouts, i.e., I don't have "bad" or "weak" days anymore with the grippers. Doing negatives keeps my hands always primed and ready for excruciating pain and pressure. :-)

Again, YMMV.

David