Just Starting Out

Holes

Hey guys i'm new to this board but i thought i'd let you all know how i'm doing...

My name is Mike, i am 18, I am from Ontario, Canada and presently in university.

Presently i can close the No. 1's for about 20 reps right hand and about 15 left hand i am going to buy the No. 2's and the No. 3's next week when i return home for summer, but i unfortunately have no way of buying the KTA book as i am out of money.

Currently I am training after my workouts 3 days a week by doing 4 sets of 5 reps and then pinching 3 10's for holds.

When i get my No. 2's i plan on warming up with the 1's, 3 x 5 reps with the 2's and then 3 reps negatives with the 3's and then pinch grip

Am I on the right track?

sounds like you are my friend.

one word of advice: try some overcrushes. i think that you will find they help considerably with establishing a stronger crush.

best of luck

overcrushes, is that whe you file down the ends to allow to to crush farther?

Overcrush is when you squeeze the gripper so hard it feels like its going to break against itself for a certain period of time, 10 seconds longer or shorter depending on what you want to do.

Take your #1, but pretend its a #4, then close it with the appropriate force a #4 would take. Pay no attention to the fact the #1 is already closed - thats an overcrush.

ok cool so i tried the overcrush. i didn't know i had that much power in my hands. I squeezed the 1's like butter and held them for a good 10 seconds completely shut. I can't wait to get my No. 2's

If you think you have a lot of power in your hands because you can squeeze #1's like butter you need to get around more. Theres guys that can squeeze grippers much tougher than #3's like butter around these parts.

easy he's a newb

I agree. I don't think you should always interpret what someone said as being cocky. I think he was excited about it (closing the #1 like butter) which is good! :)

calm down matt :angry: , he is just a newbie,he has pretty good crush for just starting grippers and being 18, let him be happy with what he could do, dont bring him down :angry:

This issue has been addressed through the Moderator`s Forum, so no need

for members to pile on with anger intended replies. Thanks!

well done on mashing the no1 keep it up :mosher

i am sorry for my outburst, and from now on will know my place, the only reason i posted what i did above what out of excitement, my full apologie's go out to matt and anyone else i offended for becoming upset at his remarks and at him, i am very sorry for this and hope that we can start over and be friends, i meant no intrusion on others power and was just excited since i am just starting out.

i hope you can accept this apology and we can start over

as well thank you for all those who offered encouragement. i would one day like to join the ranks of the rest of you with truly strong hands

again i offer my most sincere apologies

If your just starting, and you can close the #1 for like 20 reps. You will be smashing #3s in about less than a year. you just started gripping and your only 18, 20 reps with the #1 is amazing. :)

i am sorry for my outburst, and from now on will know my place,  the only reason i posted what i did above what out of excitement, my full apologie's go out to matt and anyone else i offended for becoming upset at his remarks and at him,  i am very sorry for this and hope that we can start over and be friends, i meant no intrusion on others power and was just excited since i am just starting out. 

i hope you can accept this apology and we can start over

as well thank you for all those who offered encouragement.  i would one day like to join the ranks of the rest of you with truly strong hands

again i offer my most sincere apologies

I hope this was sarcastic, because it was really funny! :D

Eeh, nothing to worry about bro, that comment from Matt was actually kind of childish.

Closing the #1 for 20 is nothing to scoff at. You probably will be able to put some real hurt on the #2.

hey man, good for you on closing that 1. butter or not, you closed it. i am pumped for you. heck, if anybody has ever read my log, i get excited like nobody's business. screw it if somebody else can beat my efforts; what is essential is that you continue to beat your own efforts, standards, and constantly strive for new personal records.

if that 1 is getting too easy or you want to try something else, try filing the non dog leg down with a metal filer. this will require you to crush the gripper even further, thus making it more difficult than say, a normal 1. give it a shot-i think it will prep you well for the 2 close. but get ready for that 2.

i want to hear the sound of those handles clicking from my college dorm room :rock

btw, this board is not a place where "you know your place." this isn't a freaking bar. we are all newbies in a sense; heck, if we don't ask questions, how can we be expected to grow? you know your place man, and that is on the front lines right next to me, banging out some excitment for our mutual addiction to grip.

diesel up champ!

hey thanks alot guys good to hear other people are getting excited as me over the little things :)

and no that apology was sincere i don't wanna start off on a bad foot

but yea i am picking up my no 2 and 3's on wednesday so i'll let yall know how close i come on the 2's when i get them. last time i tried them i cale about 1/4" or so but they were easier ones i expect as a week before that i got a different pair to just beyond parralel

UW...great job on getting the #1 and keep going :D When I first came here people were nice to me and I know you'll see the same ;)

Welcome and I look forward to reading about your progress with the #2. Use the 1's for OC's and your 3's for negs if you can.

As for pinch, you'll likely want to work up to more than 3 tens. Try 4 tens. If you can't yet do it, try doing negs for pinch. ..ie.. assist lifting with your other hand and then let go and hold one handed 'til failure. If you can hold 4 tens a few seconds this way, it will help you train for it, if they just slip right away, try 3 tens plus a 5.

.. neilkaz ..

I see you made your way over here from Bodybuilding.com :happy

Glad you could make it! Welcome to the forum!! :)

yep training slowly, so question still on my mind for anyone, are weeks off advised as they are with other muscles?

Hey, and welcome to the board. That is some impressive progress with the #1. You may be able to squeak out a #2 close when you get it based on the number of reps you're getting with that #1. I agree, if you're just starting and are having this kind of progress, you probably have a good chance of knocking the #3 out within a year with hard, persistant training. Keep on doing what you're doing and worry about getting KTA after you've worked with the #2 some, IMO.

As for taking a week off ... I don't know that I'd take that much time off. When training grippers hard, I generally go for 5 days on and then take a few days off to recover. Some also do every other day. You just have to play around with it and see what feels best / works best for you. There are plenty of tips for training grippers on here. Try using the search function for strap holds, overcrushes, negatives, and filing grippers. Good luck and let us know how you do against that #2.

Steve

excellent thanks alout dude!

and i'm not officially up to 27 reps with the right hand on teh #1's :) hahah i just picked them up today after 3 days off and they are feelin good

Edited by UWBodyBuilder

well i got the No 2 3 and 4's today hahah 3's and 4's are so hard hahahah but that's ok cuz i closed the No 2's right off the bat, i'll take a picture of it later and post it! i'm a happy man, now i can learn to do it for a bunch of reps and then go to the no 3's