Dynamic Training for the hands

Clayton

How many people here do "dynamic" exercises like tossing dumbells, or cleaning plates by the edges.  

What kind of stuff do you do?  Has it helped you a lot?

In the past I've tried a few things, but never really worked any of them for long enough to see big gains.

Anyone have any comments or suggestions?

Brookfield had an article in the latest Milo about cleaning & pressing plates. I was surprised at how much harder it was than just pinching them, especially when pinching 2 together. I haven't done any serious lifting like that though.

I have always been pinch-challenged. When I first tried to pinch my goal was 90 lbs with 2 hands. I could never come close until I got a York 40 lb dumbell and cut it in half as Brookfield suggests for block weights. I cleaned the weights about once a week for one set to failure and I tossed one weight from hand to hand at the end of every grip workout for a while. Worked my way down to tossing it for 50 or so tosses with thumb and 2 fingers. I put 30 lbs on my 2-hand pinch in a month, but then it parked and I probably haven't put 5 lbs on it since. I like plate cleans because I like one-hand clean movements, but I don't know how much they would help you.

Scott, one goal you might keep in mind is cleaning a 50 lb blob to shoulder. I read that Wade Gillingham was the only one to do this so far, you could be the next. In fact, work on snatching it and you would probably be the first. Also that blob would surely help you train for your other pinch goals. I think Sorinex has blobs available, maybe give Richard a call.

Well, I've tried tossing a couple of plates back and forth for the last 2 workouts.  The first time I used 44 and 50 pounds, and monday, I used 50 and 60 pounds.  

I expected it to maybe hit my thumbs and even make my hands a little sore.  But, it was a lot more effective than that.  My thumbs, and my wrists are sore and weak.  Yesterday, I was going to do some shruggs, but I couldn't even get through my warm-up set because my hands were too weak and tired to hold on.  Friday, I plan to pinch grip up to a heavy single.  If there is a decent jump like I'm expecting, I'll definetly keep the tosses in my routine.

Guest RobbyTooSlobby

Can you guys go into a little more detail about tossing?  For instance are you pinching the weight and tossing it or are your hands on the bottom?   Can you toss weight plates?  

Also I bet plate curls are pretty effective for pinching.  I am very new to plate curling though.  Anyone have any advice?

Robby,

tossing plates or blocks means your hands are on top, with a pinch grip.  i do these with my 27lb  block once a week, and it has helped my plate pinching incredibly.  give 'em a shot, i think you'll like 'em. ;)

Yeah, like underdawg said, hands on top, and just "toss" back and forth.  If you put a bar through the plates, you can throw farther because the plates won't seperate on you.