Crs And The Im Red

Lyle

Guys, and Gator, I know you played with the CRS 5/16.

I've finally obtained some 5/16th CRS, and I'm thinking the IM Red is 5/16th CRS so in theory they should be similar in strenght right? I am bearing in mind that all CRS is not equal but, removing differances.....5/16CRS X 7" should be the same as IM RED????

I'm asking because I'm pretty horny for a Red Bend, I've given up my grippers for the time being, this bending stuff is just too fun!!

According to Erics great post about bending stock calibration, the (modern) IM Red is about 94% the strength of the 5/16" CRS FBBC bar at the same length.

FBBC bending stock calibration

I can bend the 7" Red and the 7"x5/16" CRS.

I'm stopped by the same bars at 6.5" length.

However, I get a decent kink (around 20°) in the Red and just a little kink in the FBBC bar.

Hope that helps.

I've got some FBBC stock, so Franky to sum it up "yes" my local CRS stock 5/16 should be the same, maybe a little harder than a RED?

I'm gonna try the 5/16th CRS local stock I got tonight, it's less shiny than the FBBC 5/16 stock.

Lyle, steel varies not only from brand to brand, but from batch to batch of the same brand. As an example of just how much 5/16" CRS can vary, consider the stock used for the Chanllenge Bars with that of the FBB. At 7" the Challenge Bar is easier than a 1/4"x6" grade 5, while the FBB is tougher than a Red Nail.

so if I order some IM reds, it's possible that the ones I get may be from a different batch than the one I cert on, and therefore may be harder or easier? the same batch can't last forever right?

Lyle, steel varies not only from brand to brand, but from batch to batch of the same brand.  As an example of just how much 5/16" CRS can vary, consider the stock used for the Chanllenge Bars with that of the FBB.  At 7" the Challenge Bar is easier than a 1/4"x6" grade 5, while the FBB is tougher than a Red Nail.

Eric mentioned challenge bars, are there any sources for these right now? I bought some from David but know he stopped his calibrations, and I believe Jeff mentioned that Warren may offer some but don't remember if that ever happened. Does anyone sell calibrated stock right now?

I have some 5/16 from my local Home Depot and it is easier than a Red. I think a 6.5 or so of my own stock is more along the lines of a red. It all depends on where you get it from.

I have some 5/16 from my local Home Depot and it is easier than a Red. I think a 6.5 or so of my own stock is more along the lines of a red.  It all depends on where you get it from.

Pardon my ignorance folks, but I have a question(I'm just in the "thinking about starting" stages regarding bending, embryonic at best). I have been around construction sites and approx 3 or 4 inch nails are laying everywhere. I have picked these up and kinked them(not fully bent) with little effort, what do they correspond to as far as what you guys are bending?

I agree with Eric that the metal can and does vary. Personally I don't think it would vary to a degree that it would be like bending a lesser diameter of CRS or even a HRS 5/16" piece. My plan is to bend all the 5/16" CRS stock that I buy locally until I can bend it with the Ironmind wraps and within a minute or less. Then I will scrape up the dough by looking in the couch cushions and behind the car seat until I can purchase some IM Red Nails, unless a few wish to donate a Red or two or more to the GatorGrip Bending Budget. That will sure motivate me to bend that Red fast because I would not let yall down. :D As I was saying then get the IM Reds and practice bending them making sure to bend them strictly under the certification rules and under a minute. This way you spend less to train and spend the bigger bucks on the official Red Nails when you are close to certifying.

That is just my plan but I think it is fairly logical, especially for a Gator! :laugh

well, thanks guys, I'm going to bend now, and my first hard piece is 7"X5/16th CRS so I'll let you know my results

well that sucked, I tried the 5/16th X 7" CRS and not even so much as a Kink, feeling bad I went for the same piece only HRS, no kink, now I'm pissed, so I decided to finish off with some 60d's. only a small kink. feeling this is an odd 60d, I tried a 6" G5, no Kink........I walked away....PISSED!!!!

Lyle,

Work throught the grade5s and grade8s. When you are getting Grade8s regularly you will be ready for a go at the red. You will get there soon enough.... The red is harder to kink than a grade 8 and a little harder on the crushdown. Practice on these CRS bars you have by prekinking them with pipes to varying degrees to get your crushdown up to the level you will need it to be.

Greg

well that sucked, I tried the 5/16th X 7" CRS and not even so much as a Kink, feeling bad I went for the same piece only HRS, no kink, now I'm pissed, so I decided to finish off with some 60d's. only a small kink. feeling this is an odd 60d, I tried a 6" G5, no Kink........I walked away....PISSED!!!!

Lyle that 5/16" CRS IS LIKE ARMY ISSUE TOILET PAPER IT IS ROUGH AS HELL AND DON'T TAKE SHIT OFF NOBODY. :yikes

Listen to the Master of Steel or his more recent title Demigod in Human Form! :laugh The one the only gamidon the "Human Tendon". He has been where we are and has learned a few things along the way to Bending Valhalla. Pre-Kink that stuff and go from there, plus get those G5s and then the G8 bolts, you can even go for a tweener of 1/4" CRS Square after the Grade 8. Most say it has some comparability with both the G8 and the Red Nail. Then there is always that famous Grade 9 callous killer which Dave Morton told me it was reddish but I told him that the ones I had were goldish :laugh Seriously they are supposed to be very close to a Red but I wouldn't waste a lot of time with them because they are very expensive as bolts go and are 6" and you should concentrate on the 7" x 5/16"CRS or actual IM Red Nails if you are that close.

Keep your chin up and your elbows high - you will get it Lyle because you have a passion for this goal. :D

Your Friend and Fellow Bender In Training

GatorGrip

Gator and Gamidon,

Thanks, my next bending session is Monday, I'm definately gonna try the cheat kink and work back from there until I'm bending straight bars, Funny how I knew that already from Greg & Dave's article also from Eric's "maximized Bending" but when a person gets frustrated I guess they forget some options, Thanks Guys for a reminder and more motivation.

Good luck Lyle, I bought some 5/16" CRS that is really mean. I prekinked it and it's way tougher than Reds. Like it's been said a million times: "Steel varies."

-HH

I can't comment on the "harder than Red part" but being anxious, I kinked 3 pieces of 5/16CRS X 7" today and had to try one, Well I tried a piece kinked to about 30d and DAMN that's hard Freakin' stuff. I managed to get it to just 2.5"

That stuff doesn't give at all and it doesn't get easier the closer you crush it either.

I always had great respect for those who bent a Red but that just increased tenfold.

Work a couple of times with that stock Lyle.

You'll adapt soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't want to start a new thread as this was close enough...

Being a sucker for stock, what 1/4" would be 'close to' a red? I'm thinking FBBC and IM stock here. I've just bent an IM blue cut down to 5-1/2". Would I for example be able to make a serious run for the red when I can bend a 5" blue? Maybe not quite, having seen the table on Strongman's page. Maybe the FBBC 1/4"x5-1/2" round?

Rolle