New Article In Articles Forum

Bill Piche

Great article HH....

Makes me want to go try out them techniques...

Thanks guys.

I know scrolling and coiling isn't that popular but I think everybody will enjoy the article a little.

You gotta forgive me because it's looooong, I just got carried away. Hell, I probably could have split it into two articles. Like I said I got carried away.

If you want to get started in scrolling I recommend getting Brookfields book The Gripmasters Manuel. This is an excellent resourse. This book and the article should get you well on your way.

If there are any questions anybody has for me just ask me here. I'll be more than happy to answer you.

Thank you Bill, for all your hard work making this Board available to Everybody. It's the best damn place there is!

-Erik

Very nice article,thoroughly explained and lots of nice photos.

Looks like lots of fun,thanks for the time spent to put it together and for Bill for putting it up :bow

Nice Dog.

I just now got a chance to read your very informative and entertaining article, Erik. Thank you! I was gonna hit my steel supplier today, but my wife needed the mini van. Hopefully I can get over there tomorrow, because I am really anxious to get started on some thick steel.

Glad you liked it Eric! Remember to take some way to cut the steel to fit it in the vihicle. Some suppliers will cut it for you, but this often comes with extra charge and a long wait. I take my angle grinder and just plug in at the wearhouse. They have an extension chord specifically rigged up so customers can plug in their saws and grinders.

Now, none of this matters if you're gonna just scroll the whole 20ft bar. :D

-Erik

I paid a visit to Metal Supermarket today to replenish my stock of 5/16" CRS and to get some of that 1/2" HRS everyone's been talkin' about. The thick stuff is sold in ten foot lengths, so I bought two pieces. With a four foot section I made a fish with a loop at his head. With the remaining six foot section I made a high class art sculpture. And with the other ten foot piece I made a standing lawn ornament from which I've hung the high class art sculpture via steel wire. What a day - bending steel and getting in touch with my artistic side, and capped off with a St. Pauli Girl Dark! Life is good.

By the way, this Metal Supermarket chain gets two thumbs up. There's never a wait and they cut the steel free of charge. Maybe I could be their spokesman! :laugh

That sounds great Eric! You lucked out that they cut it for free!

Post some pics of your scrolls!

-Erik

Anyone know a good site selling decently long steel for cheap. I dont have a hardware or steel supplier who sells more than 4 foot lengths for over 20 miles from my house.

20 miles ain't bad. That's about what it is for me to go to my steel supplier.

Check metal shops too.

Ordering it will rape you in shipping. It would be better to just do the drive. Also, You're not gonna get a 20ft bar mailed to your house.

-HH

I think scrolling is actually fun. Fun because you can manipulate the steel to look how you want it to look. I scrolled a wine bottle holder for my parents, and they have had 10 requests for more.

It is fun to do, people like to watch it, and the results are cool!

-Rick Walker

I have access to 2 steel retailers - one is a 30 minute drive and the other is 45 minutes but is a little cheaper. Both will do one cut for free to make it fit in my minivan. Both also give a cheaper price if you take the whole stick (length). I just bought some 3/4" HRR (hot roll round). I needed 10' but bought 20" because the difference was only $3.75. Depending on what steel you get, it comes in 10', 12', 20' or 24'. It's almost always worth it to buy the full length but I have to borrow a truck with racks to get the long pieces home without cutting. That said, it's also a good idea to ask about "drops" or the little pieces left over when other people don't buy the full length - you can get good buys on these sometimes as well if you can use short pieces. Get a price sheet from the steel shop, and ask about cutting cost and full verus partial lengths - it might surprise you.

Climber-

That's some great information. That reminds me, I need to check out the scrap/drop pile at my supplier!

-HH