Forthcoming comps

David Horne

Just a quick message to give out the details of a few contests this year, well in advance.

British Nail Bending Champs

April 20

Stafford

Two sections. Open and Novice

Six bends in each section getting slowly tougher.

British Iron Grip Champs

Aug 3

Stafford

Three sections. Open, Intermediate and Novice.

Events:

Two Hand Pinch Lift

One Hand Vertical Bar Lift 1"

Table Top Wrist Curl

Some gripper event [to be announced]

Seated Hammer Curl

Lift a replica Jowett anvil horn 1 hand

More info will follow, and of course be featured in Iron Grip mag.

David

Guest 115-1005574997

Dave

Im sure no one has seen a nail bending contest run before (i certainly havent) but am looking forward to it tremendously. Just out of curiosity, can you explain what the rules are, the kind of progressively  tougher bits of steel to be bent. when was the last time a NB contest was held?

Regarding the BIG championships in August, will the seated hammer curl be 2 handed on an H shaped bar? will it be a full range movement or a partial from thighs to top?  That Jowett anvil horn lift looks fun.

Im pleased to see the 1" v bar is to be contested as its a true test of toughness and strength (with a hook grip that ring gets a bit warm)  :)  

Its also good you posted the forthcoming contests now as it will give some people plenty of time to practice :)

Scott,

It is near 50 years ago (I'll find the exact dates) since Harold Cope, Arnold Dyson and Geoff Morris were challenging each other.

The hammer curl will be seated, using a H bar, starting from the top of the thighs. It will be refereed very strictly. Full info and rules will be posted/included in Iron Grip.

Yes, plenty of time to train, but build it up slowly.

David

David Horne, David Webster and David Gentle, in their book on grip training mention Arnold Dyson as being the world nail bending-breaking championin 1957. Most likely the quality of nails has changed over the years. In the sixties I could bend and break 6'' nails from the UK. Today even though my grip is stronger in every respect, I can only put a quarter bend in a 60d nail from Home Depot.  

BTW what is the H bar that is going to be used for the hammer curls ?

You are right, the quality of nails have changed over the years. The building trade don't want nails that will bend when hit. But everyone will use the same nails on the day so it doesn't really matter. An ordinary H bar will be used.

David

OldGuy,

Are you referring to the 1953 Pro NABBA Mr. Universe

Arnold Dyson as a champion nail bender?

David,

Please stop taking 20 hour naps and get busy reprinting

your course!

Yes that is the very same Arnold Dyson. As for the nails it is true that the same batch of nails will be used on the day, but comparing nail bending with what others have done is difficult. Tom black writes about the quality and varying difficulty of nails even within the same batch from the same box. Nail bending is fun but as in most grip events there are a great deal of variables. Not even grippers offer a constant. No doubt though that these days nails sold both in the UK and over here in the USA are from much the same sources. People who can bend or break nails often amaze me as there have been teenage girls who have done so, as is the case with horseshoes.

The order for the nail bending comp is:

1. Bend a 6" nail

2. Bend a 6" nail, underhand grip, arms in front of body.

3. Bend a 6" nail, cut down to 5".

4. Bend a 6" nail, cut down to 4 1/2".

5. Bend a 6" nail, cut down to 4".

6. Bend 2 x 6" nails taped together.

All have to bent to go down a tube in a period of time, if not the bend achieved so far will be counted.

The novice section will feature the same bends, but done with some thin bar.

By the way, the final event for the grip champs is CoC grippers inverted for a hold.

David

David, are all bends to be done in strict style or is bracing allowed? I ask only out of curiosity, I cannot attend.

Thanks in advance for the answer. Woody, if you are reading this, I would attend if it is close for you. I think you are selling yourself short by thinking you would not do well.

• 2 weeks later...

No, I'm afraid I don't. It costs me £10 ($15) to cash in each U.S. money order or cheque. Send cash between a couple of sheets of paper.

Thanks, David

• 1 month later...

Final points scores

A DAVID HORNE     27

MARTIN WHITTRED   19

RICHARD SCOTT     19

JIM WYLIE     10

MARC WYLIE     8

B GARY HUNT   30

ELIZABETH TALBOT   21

JASON HORNE   21

SCOTT ESSERY    9

OLIVER HORNE     7

Category A results:

Bend 1 Bend 2             Bend 3

6" nail 6" nail u/hand 6"nail to 5"

DAVID HORNE 16s 25s             26s

MARTIN WHITTRED 22s 34s             21s

RICHARD SCOTT 24s 1m21s             15s

JIM WYLIE 1m14s 55s             1m05s

MARC WYLIE 1m37s 56s             54s

Bend 4        Bend 5 Bend 6

6" nail to 4.5"   6" nail to 4" Double 6" nail

DAVID HORNE 38s         52s 1m08s

MARTIN WHITTRED 1m53s         2mm done 0

RICHARD SCOTT 37s         15mm done 0

JIM WYLIE 8mm done         0              0

MARC WYLIE 5mm done         0              0

Category B results:

Bend 1   Bend 2                Bend 3

6" bar 6" bar to 5" 6" bar to 4.5"

ELIZABETH TALBOT 35s 38s             40mm to go

JASON HORNE 32s 1m23s             53mm done

GARY HUNT 16s 13s             18s

SCOTT ESSERY 42s 70mm to go 5mm done

OLIVER HORNE 40s 58mm done 0

Bend 4         Bend 5            Bend 6

6" nail        6" nail u/hand   6"nail to 5"

ELIZABETH TALBOT  43mm to go   13mm done      3.5mm done

JASON HORNE  39mm to go   9mm done   15mm done

GARY HUNT  22s        2m10s    21mm done

SCOTT ESSERY  5mm done     0                    0

OLIVER HORNE  0        0                 0

If the nails were bent to 1 1/2" (38mm) then they were classified as fully bent as they then slid down a standard 1 1/2" tube.

Ben Read (now 70 years old), probably Britain's best ever nail-bender, came up and did an exhibition for us at half-time: this will be fully reported in Iron Grip.

David

I put the charts on but they came out a bit off line when I added my reply: you can just about manage to read the results along the lines if you look carefully!

Guest 115-1005574997

crush

where does it say that?

Dave

Just wanted to say thank you for holding another wonderfully entertaining, competitive day and your hospitality is only exceeded by your strength :)

Its a real shame more people don’t make the effort to run contests as your missing out on a wonderful opportunity to meet new people, have a great deal of fun and see your gains and progress reach new heights.

Ben read is a wonderful example to all of us youngsters and to see him almost effortlessly twist and bend 6" nails into a link chain and in his teeth was awe-inspiring.  not bad for a man nearly 70 years old!

I think the next issue of Iron Grip will be well worth reading!

Well thanks Scott.

Actually, it's always as much fun for me meeting up with new as well as the old faces.

It was great to start the first British Grip champs in the presence of one of Britain's best ever nail benders, Ben Read. As Scott said, to see him at 69 (70 this year) perform the way he did was inspiring. By the way, he said that the nails we were using were tough ones. He trully is a link to the old time strongmen, and whilst chatting to him on the phone on Sunday he said that he was very pleased to see this art still alive, and commented on the strengths of everyone. He's sending some 30 year old posters up for us all this week.

If anyone thinks the times are a little slow, firstly we had to bend them so that they slid down a 1 1/2" tube, and secondly after wrapping the nail in a towel for protection it was actually taking us some 10-15 secs to get the bent nail out of the tightly wrapped towel. What a laugh that was!! Wasn't it Scott.

David

Crush,

To get the answer, look back to the 2 previous posts before the one that states "baldy, All bends allow bracing bar number 2. David."

I was answering baldy's question about if any bracing was to be allowed whilst bending, and my answer was the above. Number 2 being the 6" nail bend, underhand grip.

David