Nagging Amwrestling Injury

Guest CanadaCrush

Guest CanadaCrush

I have this nagging injury to the inside of my right elbow. It might be the same tendon as Golfers Elbow (maybe?). I've taken it easy for the past several months, but it is still there, especially with sidepressure hooking moves. Other than "rest and tiger balm" what can I do to speed up this already (for me) too slow recovery?

-Mark

Mark,

Try some light supination and pronation work, especially pronation. One of the best exercises we use is an exercise with a spade shaft that I worked out a few years ago, and was featured in my courses. Firstly, have two uprights available (the uprights of a bench can be fine), from here place the shaft (with a D-handle, and no spade on the end) across them. Affix a rope to the middle of the wooden shaft with a nail or bolt. Add the weight to the bottom of the rope. Have the height of the supinator/pronator at about waist height. Grab the handle and turn it back and forth-like turning a key in a door. To do the opposite (supinator or pronator), wrap the rope the other way. Hope this helps. By the way I took Jim Wylie and Jason to their first armwrestling contest on Sunday. They both did very well (in the novice sections), but Jim missed tonights training with a sore arm that has kept him awake! Armwrestling is a tough sport!

David

You should warm up verly slowly and completely before working out.  And try icing the area after workouts.

As far as I know tendonitis is caused by use/strength imbalances between opposing muscle groups.  You should find a movement you can do that "stretches" the area that hurts, and contracts the muscle that opposes it.

If it's the inside of your elbow you may try tricept extensions using a rope, and really twist your hands at the bottom to stretch/strengthen the tendons and ligiments in your elbow.  Also, maybe the wrist roller or wrist curls to hit the upper muscles in your forearm?  You'll have to experiment and see what works best for you.

Guest 115-1005574997

Hia Mark

Medial epicondilitis is usualy caused by flextion of the wrist under pressure (wrist curls, weaver stick to rear and top rolling may trigger it).  Good advice from David and Clayton but i can also suggest you get a Tight Tubigrip (compression of the area) and wear it during training and for a few days after in addition to iceing the for 20 minutes 3 or 4 times a day to decrease inflamation after training.  Try to massage the area regularly throughout the day as tendinitis, in my experience, is often caused by lesions and scar tissue building in the surrounding muscles thus making the joint less flexable and placing greater stress on the tendons.  Also stretch the wrists 3 or 4 times a day and do finger extensions with rubber bands as this will work the antagonists and get some nurishing blood pumped into the area.  Combine that with the ibruprofen, tiger balm, maybe 800mg of glucosamine 3 times a day and 600mg of MSM 3 times a day you have covered all the bases.  As a contraindication, heat may be more benificial in chronic cases so try applying a hot water bottle to the area as often as you can.

http://www.medicalmultimediagroup.com/pate.../mepi/mepi.html

interesting answers there to injury problems.

scott:

do you not think using the tubigrip and still training is dangerous because you feel less pain and may train more intensely, therefore slowing or blocking the healing. We have a bit of the same debate in climbing;  I personally feel that strapping injured fingers is generally a bad idea (except to prevent sound fingers to reinjure). Myself I prefer to feel pain if I climb so that I know exactly what my finger can take, and what holds I may grip.

also, I agree on the mystery: should we ice or warm up the injured area? icing after an injury and warming up for chronic pain sounds coherent, but still I'm never sure what to do (same goes for doctors I have talked to)

train hard (well, not you CanadaCrush),

david

Guest 115-1005574997

David (the swiss)

Im going to have to pick your brain for climbing tips in the next few months as i intend to take up boldering for the first time this summer and im a total climbing beginner.

Anyway back to the topic.

The problem i have with all main streem 'medical' professions (physiotherapy, general practice) and general lifting/climbing advice, is its lack of specificity. After years of training, working with others and combating my own injuries I now feel every single person should be treated as individules and what works for 1 might not work for another.  I know of people with injures that are eased by round back lifting and kyphotic back positioning, which is totaly oposite to what the 'general' rules say.

In direct answer, my opinion is this:- be self aware and understand what your unique feelings mean.  I think you can understand what im saying David.  By using tubigrips over my elbows i no longer get medial epicondilitis and pain in the tricep tendon from dipping, which i once had.  For me it works as a preventative.  If (and i am only speculating) i had 'golfers elbow' from arm wresting, i would stop all supinating moves for about 1 month to allow things to settle.  I would only do pronating, pinch lifting, hammer curling moves for that month and then slowly, very slowly, work back into the arm wrestling and 'listen' to how my elbow 'feels', then react accordingly.  Experiment with ice and heat to see which is best and work back to supinating moves over 2 months.

If you have an injuy (for arguments sake say 1st finger pain caused by 3 or 2 finger holds) and it keeps being agrivated by repeating the injury causing event then it will NEVER heal unless you stop and by masking the pain with analgesics and straping, will result in a major injury.  your body has a habit of stoping you damaging yourself in the end, either through pain, ilness or a severe injury that will stop you all together.

What do you think Dave? :blush

Guest CanadaCrush

Thanks for the responses guys. Scott - wow, that seems like a lot to do. Where am I going to find time to do that between working and watching TV?  Times are rough.

-Mark

Guest 115-1005574997

Well, if you DO manage to do all the suggestions, i recon your 'golfers elbow' wont be bothering you any more :)

Just take a few ideas, give them a try and if it doesnt work, take some different ideas and give them ago instead.

Dave (the swiss) is correct that if you just ignore something it wont go away.... it will get worse.

Good luck mark and i just hope your pain goes :)

good points, scott.

I really agree that everyone is different. Strength training for climbing is a good example of that. i'm sure you'll really enjoy bouldering; a wonderful strength sport.

train hard

david