#3 Coc

thedon83

I am about to start KTA and I am tying to close the #2 so I have got a #3 to do negatives with but I cannot get that damn thing closed to save my life, I was just wonderin if anyone here has used a vice, to close it and do the negatives with, I'm not sure wether this would damage the spring or not. Any feedback would be appreciated

Cheers

You do not need to close it fully for the negative. Close it as far as you can, forcing it shut against your leg and using your other hand.

Fair enough, thanks for the replies, I heard you don't have to close it fully but I thought I had a good plan to close it and get more out of it. I will just crack on and use the leg method.

Cheers

try the BBSM, or any other gripper in between the 3 and 4 if you want to get a little ego boost by closing it further. i know what you mean though. sometimes it is hard to figure out the line between too hard it is worthless or too easy it defeats the purpose. no matter what, in time you will be able to push that 3 a little further.

Don't worry I'm doing the negs with the #4 and I can't get very close to parallel at all with my left. My right I think I can almost get a little beyond that. After a few it feels like my hand is seperating in my palm, verrrrry painful for sure. Hope that feeling is the feeling of progression and not of something breaking, haha. Good luck with the program

Edited by Dude

You do not need to close it fully for the negative. Close it as far as you can, forcing it shut against your leg and using your other hand.

Like Wanna said... you're trying to cheat it shut. This is called a cheat close.

Do the best you can. You might not get it all-the-way closed, but get as much as you can.

• 4 weeks later...

i agree with wannagrip and snott.

Whatever you do, don't put it in a vice.. Things can get nasty when you do that. #3 is good enough for negatives, even when you can't close it fully. I couldn't even budge my RB300 past parallel, and somehow i ended up closing the #3... Don't ask how, it just worked :)

This is an interesting thread, cause I'm having the same problem. I just started another round of KTA--going for the #3. So I'm trying to use my new BBSE for negatives, and I can't even cheat it to parallel!

The real problem though, is I can't properly set the gripper. To even get my pinky around the handle I have to put the dogleg handle farther back in my palm than I would if I was going for a normal close attempt. Is this a problem, and does it defeat the purpose since you're working at a slightly different angle?

My current plan is doing half my negatives on the SE I can barely budge (adding more as I get stronger), and the other half on the Elite that I can cheat shut.

I have a theory too for us "less than gifted" folks. When I was going for the SM, I did negatives on the 3. I didn't manage to shut it until I started adding negatives on the Elite. My left was a little weaker, so I kept doing negatives with the 3 and never fully closed the SM.

Now that I've been going for the 3 (for awhile), I noticed that negatives on the Elite aren't going to cut it. Hopefully the SE will do the trick, if only I could move the damn thing!

This is an interesting thread, cause I'm having the same problem. I just started another round of KTA--going for the #3. So I'm trying to use my new BBSE for negatives, and I can't even cheat it to parallel!

The real problem though, is I can't properly set the gripper. To even get my pinky around the handle I have to put the dogleg handle farther back in my palm than I would if I was going for a normal close attempt. Is this a problem, and does it defeat the purpose since you're working at a slightly different angle?

My current plan is doing half my negatives on the SE I can barely budge (adding more as I get stronger), and the other half on the Elite that I can cheat shut.

I have a theory too for us "less than gifted" folks. When I was going for the SM, I did negatives on the 3. I didn't manage to shut it until I started adding negatives on the Elite. My left was a little weaker, so I kept doing negatives with the 3 and never fully closed the SM.

Now that I've been going for the 3 (for awhile), I noticed that negatives on the Elite aren't going to cut it. Hopefully the SE will do the trick, if only I could move the damn thing!

Think about giving Warren a call and ask for an SE with the spring bumped

higher about 5/32 or maybe 3/16 from the normal spring set. This will give

you a tweener inside the Elite and normal SE.

Or Warren will send you the gripper unpinned and you can set the depth

yourself

Think about giving Warren a call and ask for an SE with the spring bumped

higher about 5/32 or maybe 3/16 from the normal spring set. This will give

you a tweener inside the Elite and normal SE.

Good idea. I probably should have got a custom. $$ is tight, so I'll have to work with what I have. That's the beauty of KTA--if it's "too hard", you can still use what you've got and you'll get stronger.

My SE is the widest spread of any of my BB's, just shy of 3"--same as my 2004 #3! Probably why I have a tough time setting it. "Just ordering one" is a roll of the dice, but oh well.

Of course, a year ago my #3 felt like my SE does now! So I'll just keep using it and get stronger.

rying,

If you are having a technique problem getting the SE into a full

neg, try this out. I learned of this from a post by Heath Sexton a long time ago.

Sit on a stool or chair with your forearms resting on the tops of your legs. The outside of your elbows will be about even with the outside of your legs. Lean forward a bit untill you feel your forearms pressing into the top of your quads.

Your hands will be between your knees. Put your gripper in let`s say your right hand first. Your gripper hand should be about 3/4 facing up

towards your face. Now take your left hand and cup it around the back

of the fingers of the gripper hand. The middle knuckles of the gripper

hand should be in the center of the cupped left hand.

Start squeezing the gripper and at the same time begin pushing with the left hand on the fingers of the gripper hand and at the same time this movement starts you flex your thigh muscles hard and drive your

left knee towards your right knee. As all the squeezing starts your hands may drop a little towards the floor, that is ok just keep squeezing

with the right, pushing with the left hand and driving the knees towards each other all at the same time. Your left knee will be driving against

the back of the left hand. Tense everything up together as you drive

the handles together.

Practice first with a #1 or #2 untill you get the feel for it. As you get stronger you will explode the handles together in a split second. A little

timing is involved but it will become second nature the more you do it.

After a while you can resume just mashing the handles together against

your leg or by just using a free hand

After you get it closed, release your gripper hand from your knees and free hand and do the smooth out neg

Also, you can`t be loose and relaxed. You need to be locked and braced when you start the movements

--------------------

Rick Browne...

Cyberpump Donator 2002,2003,2004 and beyond ))--->