Convert An Oly Bar To A Thick Bar?

Jacko

Hey, I've not got a load of money at the minute but I really want to get started with some thick bar work, my local gyms don't have any thick bars.

What would you do? Are there any attachments available to give a normal bar a thick grip, or would even wrapping some material around the bar do the trick?

Thanks.

Edited by Jacko

Take it apart and sleeve it with pipe until you get the thickness you want. In other words a pipe that fits closely around the bar, and then another on top of that and so on.

You can do a lot of things to make a thick bar but it's easier and cheaper to make a separate bar the thickness you want. 1 1/2" schedule 40 or 80 black pipe will make a

1 7/8" bar - if you want 2 3/8" - just sleeve it with 2" pipe. Easy, cheap, and works very well.

You can do a lot of things to make a thick bar but it's easier and cheaper to make a separate bar the thickness you want.  1 1/2" schedule 40 or 80 black pipe will make a

1 7/8" bar - if you want 2 3/8" - just sleeve it with 2" pipe.  Easy, cheap, and works very well.

Very true, and much easier than converting an Olympic bar, which means that unless you restore it you no longer have an Olympic bar. I use plumbing pipe to make many training tools.

I was thinking more along the lines of an easily attachable/detachable sort of thing so I could use it at the local gym.

But after some more thinking it'll be more beneficial to just get myself 4x20kg plates, a wrist roller and make a thick bar, no messing around :).

Thanks for the replies.