Water-filled Callouses From Bending

VeGripper

After the bending festivities yesterday over at Gamidon's (thanks again, Greg!), I wound up with some bad-ass blisters on my palms the likes of which I hadn't experienced before. One's about the size of a quarter and was puffed about 2mm high, the other about the size of a dime and just slightly less puffed. I poked both open with a clean Xacto blade and drained them, and testing things out, I cut the smaller one off and now I'm seeing some tender pink flesh that's going to take a bit of time to heal. I was anticipating cutting the other one off, but since the small one is extremely tender right now I'd rather not have to unless necessary. Besides, it seems to be melding back to my palm again and isn't all that loose, so hopefully it'll re-attach in a day or so.

So, without rambling any longer, what do the rest of you do? Do you only pop and drain them, and if so, do they actually re-attach well enough even if they're big? Any input on this would be great!

VeGripper

Maybe not be a wuss next time?

Haha, j/k. I always cut them off, and then use little (like surgical) scissors or nail clippers (these are hard to manipulate) to cut away all the extra skin so it kinda ramps up from the tear to good skin rather than look like a cliff edge. I also try to use one of those callous files on it (not the red skin, OUCH!) to make it even smoother. When that happens it always seems to heal better and much quicker. By clearing out all the damaged skin you are letting it heal quicker, similar to how a surgical cut heals faster than a tear. Also keep it VERY moist, use neosporin or vaseline on it so it doesn't dry out and crack.

Just for another perspective my boss (who is a PhD in Physiology) says not to cut them off and don't use neosporin. He saids cutting it off gives a better chance for an infection (I've never had one) and using neosporin only helps you get some nice little resistant bacteria that are immune to the anti-biotic ointment. I've NEVER had a problem doing it my way, and being a state gymnast in high school I"ve had plenty of rips on my palms.

personally, i try not to cut them off anymore (i must say i used to a while ago). my only reason behind it now is because i think the skin has gotten tougher, and they are now, the caluses, less probable of just ripping off or hurting as much.

if they are really raised, i will shave them slightly, yet not to expose pink; nothing is harder than trying to go heavy with pink hands (and i really don't like wearing band aids or athletic tape).

i guess maybe you could try both ways...try shaving, try keeping them. see what gives you the results you want. just ask yourself why you are doing it beforehand (you know, try to get a legitimate reason behind it. even if it is stupid sounding, kind of like mine, it still works for you).

good luck with em

First of all, you get blisters if you do things too hard before developing a callous. You probably knew that, but anyway.

This is how I've been taught to treat them: Puncture them with a needle that has been sterilized with, for example, a cigarette lighter. Puncture them from the side, parallel to your "normal" skin. Don't puncture them from the top, you don't want to push the needle into your flesh, just through the skin. Then drain them and let them heal. You may need to re-puncture them once or twice. If you have to train before the skin has properly re-attached, cover the spot with athletic tape.

Rolle

I vote for pop 'em - Mine worked out fine when I did what you did - just popping them and letting them re-attach. If they do not re-attach the dead skin will just fall off eventually anyway, so no need for you to cut them off prematurely. I remember hearing a great quote from the great Kaz: Be sure to pick the scabs you get from training, so they leave good scars. Nothing wrong with war wounds. :D

Edited by mmainlands

Ryan,

Now that I know you are suffering, I can sleep at night knowing that I pushed you hard enough :D:D:D

My two cents - cut them off, grab a trainer, and squeeze the heck out of it everyday. Everytime I let a blister reconnect I tore it worse later.

First of all, you get blisters if you do things too hard before developing a callous. You probably knew that, but anyway.

Rolle, I think you get callouses by taking it too easy before you blister :D

-Greg-

Edited by gamidon

I'd say don't pop it at all--avoid tearing it until the fluid is reabsorbed into your flesh, and the blistered skin will dry and be just as tough as before.

I got 2 monsters on my right hand the week prior to the So Cal Grip Decathlon, and were dried and fine by week's end.

^^^ apologize for my above statement....maybe didn't fully understand or think about the difference between callouses and blisters. :whacked

all i know is that my hands look like a dog's chew toy :cool

Guys - You are not supposed to pop blisters. That isa myth. Leave it how it is!

The fluid is sterile and acts as a buffer. Opening the skin will only drain the fluid buffer and allow dirt and infection in. Infection lengthens recovery time and could lead to scars.

My advice would be to just let the fluid be reabsorbed as Passman suggests.

-Jedd-

Much thanks for all the advice on how to handle the giant blisters (should have called them as such instead of callouses!) Too late for not cutting the one off, but the other one will be left alone to heal naturally. I wish I hadn't cut the other one off because it stings like hell, but not much I can do now other than bandage the hell out of it before I head to the gym today. At least it'll be squat day and I can work around it well enough!

VeGripper

PS to Greg and Ryan - I did my best not to be a wuss, and next time will be even less wuss-like! Thanks for putting me through the wringer, as now I hurt in a whole lot of places at once :D

Remember when you get a blister it is a catabolic response, as apposed to an anabolic response, which is a callous. It's no different than training and overtraining for your skin.

VeGripper -

Keep it clean.

Apply Neosporin or some other Triple Antibiotic.

Keep it uncovered when you shower, covered when you train or are around dirt, and open at bed time.

These are the tips I got from my doc when I got bit by that wild cat last fall and I was healed up ready enough to compete within a week or so.

-Jedd-

Jedd,

That's exactly what I've been doing - I've put a few coats of Neosporin on it today plus I wrapped about 5 layers of masking tape around it when lifting and managed to keep it clean the entire time. I'm itching to start bending again after the weekend, so anything I can do to heal it on up by then is good stuff!

Guys - You are not supposed to pop blisters.  That isa myth.  Leave it how it is!

Well I'll be danged! Learn something new every day... :) I just checked from two sources, and popping blisters really is not recommended unless they are in places where they

1) interfere with movement (most likely in the foot), or

2) are likely to pop by themselves.

Rolle