Choker Closes

chrlslee1

Does anyone else find a close with a choker set at parallel to be as hard as a full close? The resistance is at the end and i find the begining to be easy. besides, if i cant do the begining, i have no chance at the end. Maybe this is just me because i have never seen a post that says differently.

It probably depends on what you call a full close (parallel set, TNS, etc..). I know with a parallel set there isn't a gripper of mine that I can close in a choker that I can't close with a parallel set. I can get closer with a choker on my wide spread P4dud but that's about it. I know others find chokers make it easier so it just depends on the individual I suppose.

I've never practiced seriously with a choker or used a strap hold. I find closes in a choker to be harder than closes without one. Momentum seems to help me.

Edited by Scott Styles

I mentioned this before somewhere but yes I think it's harder in a choker. I think it's because the momentum from setting and the sweep gets me through the middle so I've developed a weakness there.

That's also why I think choker work has been so effective for people that were stuck (like benching from a dead-stop off the pins in a rack set at the midpoint). Hopefully it will turn out to be the "missing-link" for me on my way to the #3.

I think chokers are key to closing tough grippers. Once you can close it in a choker let it out some until you don't need the choker anymore.

• 4 weeks later...

I find a gripper easier in the choker, probably because you can position the gripper in your hand better than you can with a normal close. Everyones different.

Chocker closes with the #3 (Clay Edgin style) and severe negatives with the Elite (KTA style) are what got me to close the #3 for the first time. I definitely credit this to not only the negatives, but especially to the explosive power that chocker closes gave me.

I find the chocker allows me to put the gripper in a better position but does not help me get any closer.

I mainly use my chocker for timed holds so I dont have to close the thing every time and waste energy on that...

Its all about the hybrid movements!!!