Outer Limits loops

Guest danreeves

Guest danreeves

Has anyone bought or used the new product Ironmind had in their last catalog, the Outer Limits Loops? I know Mr. Brookfield mentioned this type of training in his book, but I've never heard anyone talk about doing it as a regular exercise or using this new grip tool.

Guest JSallee

I bought them when they first came out.  I like them but I think you could get just as good of extensor workout with other "tools".  You could use the jar lift, rubber bands, bucket of sand.

I am pretty adamant about muscle balance.  I use the Outer loops for holds, and rows sometimes.  It will surprise you how little weight it takes to get a good workout with them.

I think that extensor work has helped in all aspects of my grip training, something to think about.

Guest kINGPIN

I just do not think that the extensors should be worked in an isometric way.  I don't see them having much in the way of benefits for me.  If the quality is anyware near as good as the eagle loops then they will be well made but I just don't think that static holds are the answer.  I am waiting to see if PDA of WW will better it with something that works them in a dynamic way.  Until then, I will stick to my giant rubber bands. :hehe

Guest danreeves

I remember seeng a device at an import shop in the mall that was supposed to help with hand strength. Was a square frame with springs attached to it. Each spring had a loop for the finger to fit through and it supposedly trained a clawing or sort of crushing type action. I can imagine a device along the same lines would work for the extensors.

Imagine this. A small metal ring, say an inch across, and five short springs attached to it, placed so that your finger tips fit into a loop on each spring. Or maybe a short stout rubber band. You open your hand and get tension throughout the whole range of motion. Hard part i think would be finding the small springs for it. But as I sit here typing I'm inspired to run down to the local hardware store and find them.

Guest kINGPIN

I think you are talking about the eagle catcher.  Sold in most martial arts shops.  Yes, you are right.  WHat you are saying is to have a smaller version but have the springs and loops on the outside.  Good idea.  As for the resistance, dynaband cut to size would probably work.

Guest danreeves

Kingpin,

Put my idea to the test in a basic way. Took a key ring, only think handy at my desk, and looped 5 short thick rubber bands, I think the box said tehy were 2 3/4 long by 3/8 thick,  around it. Worked fairly well, was able to get some good tension and full range of motion. I think pieces of Dynaband would work, but they need to be short.

Will go by the hardware store tomorrow and look into the idea of springs

Guest kINGPIN

I could imagine that is would be quite efective.  Lets face it, it is the one movement that needs reletivly little resistance for it to work.  .....if only I could say that about the squat. ;)  ???

I purchased and use the Outer Limit loops.  Kingpin has a point about the static nature though; I also use thick rubber bands for a dynamic/range-of-motion exercise.  The key ring/rubber band or key ring/springs idea soundls like a good one...I want to try that....sort of a reverse "eagle catcher".

VS