Tou

Guest Matt Brennecke

Guest Matt Brennecke

I started doing strap holds, and you were right.  I get better at them all the time. Yesterday I did a "set" of ten with ten pounds. When I started it was five pounds for six reps.

I've been doing strap holds one day a week, switching to negatives with my left when my left hand gives out, and doing sets of five reps on another day later in the week. Does that sound about right? Or should I do strap holds both days for a while? As of right now I can only close the #1 about 4-5 times, and I am trying to get to where working out with the #1 is reasonable.

Thanks again.

Matt, I can't figure how you can do reps on strap holds. It is an isometric movement. On a strap hold, you crush the gripper on the strap, lift the weight off the floor and then, HOLD it as long as you can off the floor. Shoot for 5-10 seconds time targets.

Forget the negatives for the instant. Focus on strap holds once or twice a week for a long run. Also, work on your speed by doing many singles.

Feel free to ask for more (me or the others).

p.s. : you can use the messenger service to send personnal messages instead of posting on the board. See at the top right of the screen.

Guest Matt Brennecke

I didn't do reps really.  That's why I put set in quotes.  I did 10 holds for 5 seconds each until I couldn't hold five seconds.  Number eleven was only 3 seconds.

Just so I understand, if my left hand can only do 3 timed strap holds, do those three and then let it rest even though my right hand can do ten? Should I be doing these singles after the strap holds or on thier own day?

You did the rigth thing Matt. Ten 5 seconds holds is a lot but it will built tendons strength.

For your left hand, when you fail on strap holds, do timed holds. Close the gripper and hold it shut for 10 seconds. Repeat and repeat until you can't close it past 5 secs.

One or two gripper exercises per training day is enough. When At this time, I work the grippers once a week. I do strap holds with my modified #2 and negatives with my #3.

Here's what I suggest you : strap holds on your two days. At least 5 sets of 5-10 seconds. Finish up with 4-5 sets of low reps. Choose 1-2 other grip exercises and work them after the grippers. Work hard, have plenty of rest and watch out for the results.

Guest Matt Brennecke

OK. Submitted for your approval: last weeks workout

-Regular weightlifting workout

-Coc trainer strapholds 10# -7 seconds.  Five holds for the full time both hands.

-Coc trainer singles 35 left 40 right

-2" bar deadlifts 100# per hand 5 lifts each hand. 4' long bar, so torque is a minor factor.

Does that sound about right?

Thanks again.

Matt, this is a good workout.

The strap holds are done right : many sets and low time. However (and I'm sure you know it), you have to crush the handles like you want ot break them.

Did you perform 35 singles or a 35 seconds timed holds. 35 singles is way too much. When you fail on strap holds, you might want to try this. Perform a 10 seconds timed holds with your right. Then immediatly do it with your left. Then, without no rest, 10 seconds on the right. Do it for as long as you can hold 10 seconds. I did it with my #2 and managed 18 consecutive 10 seconds holds with each hand. Your forearms will be pumped like ####.

Work the 2" bar deadlift with holds too. Very heavy loads for 10-15 seconds holds. One of the best grip strength builder.

Good luck in your training !

Guest Matt Brennecke

After 5 sets of strapholds for each hand, I did singles. One rep with left, wait a few seconds and then one with the right.  I did that for about half an hour, and did 35 with the left before I couldn't close it again, and forty with the right ( I could have kept going with the right).

I'll do timed holds instead of singles next time.

I'll load the thick bar in the rack next time and do 10 second holds with big weight for five sets or so.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Matt Brennecke

OK. I am up to 7 holds for 5-7 seconds with 12.5#. My left hand is up to 5. I am then doing consecutive 10 second holds about 5 each hand so far, and the 2 3/8" bar holds(both hands) for 5 seconds to failure which is usually about 195X5.

Two questions:

-When should I add weight to the strap holds? When I really own the hold for 5 sets of 10 seconds? Or when I can get 5 by 5-7 seconds?

-Is it cheating to squeeze my thumb against my fingers during the strapholds or timed holds? Or is that part of the deal?

I ordered Mastery of Hand Strength yesterday. Until it arrives, thanks again for the help.

Squeezing your thumb around the fingers is correct.

You seem to have developp a good basis. Now, shoot for 5 sets of 10 seconds. Add weight whenever you can (I'll say always add weight, micro-load). Drop the timed holds and keep at the thick bar holds.

Do this for 2-3 months and you'll be up for the #2.

I'm not an expert, but I think it's time to move up.  I don't like going over 15lbs with a gripper, too much wrist strain.  Also, if you're doing that many holds you're not holding enough.  If I do straps hard, I have 3 good sets, after that it's all down hill.  I say use the #1, just my $0.02........

I've got an interesting experiment for the both of you (Tou and Matt).

Can you try this?..... instead of doing strapholds - put the weight around your wrist, then PRETEND you are doing a straphold.  Hold your arm out as if the weight is still there (like a straphold), and close the gripper.  Try it!!

If you're not an expert Bearcat, I wonder who is one. You're right : too much weight is hard on the wrist. Plus, there's no comparison between a 20 pounds with #1 strap hold and one with 10 pounds on the #2. The #2 is better even with less weight.

As for working sets, it's a personnal preference. I work 5 sets of low reps in my weight training and I like 4-5 sets in grip training too. 2-3 sets can do the job too (obviously it worked weel for you).

Do you have a #2 Matt. If so, start working on it seriously.

Sybersnott- I'll try it.

Tou, you're right it is a personal preference.  I think StrongerthenArne uses 5 holds too.  His may be based on time?  To me, 5 sounds reasonable, but 7 is a bit much.  My po' widdle hand would fall off.....

You are right, 20lbs with a #1 isn't as good as 10 with a #2, not even close, but that is just my $0.02 also......

Guest Matt Brennecke

No #2 yet. I think I'll work up to 15# with my trainer, and switch to the #1 after that.  It should only be next week or the week after. My left hand still only closes the #1 once. I'm surprised you think I'll need the #2 so soon.  That's pretty exciting.

BTW how do you get your gippers tested? I'd like to know how my #1 tests out especially if I buy a #2.

Matt, I do not recommend testing a #1 class gripper or lower. Testing is expensive. If you must know a gripper's IP rating and other specs, spend your money to test a stiff #2 or better.

I'll send my #3 for calibration when I'll close it. If the number is high enough, I'll certify with it. If it's too low, I'll get a tougher #3. I don't want to be the guy who is certified with a 350 in/lbs #3 when most of the guys have 400-430 #3.

I am also not an expert by any means on strapholds, but here is an observation.

It seems to me that the question as to when to move up to the #1 (or any next level gripper) would be obviously based on the minimal ability of holding the particular gripper closed for the goal time.  Since Matt "goal time" is 10 second sets, he should wait until he can close the #1 for that time before doing a straphold with it.  Matt mentioned he can close the #1 4-5 times, but didn't mention how long he can hold it shut.

On another point, I think Matt may be a little ahead of himself with the weight he is using on the trainer strapholds, because he is only getting 5-7 second sets, but it seems his goal is 10 seconds.  

I've studied many straphold routines and still like 3Crushers the best (See the FAQ).

Steve did three sets for 10 seconds.  I think the most salient point in the FAQ is  "I would recommend using a weight that you can hold for 5-10 seconds. As soon as you break 10 seconds for at least your first two sets, increase he weight."

I believe that at one point Steve was adding only a washer (maybe 2.5 oz) for a twice per week workout.  This was at the time when he was very close to closing the #3.

By the way Matt, I hope you don't consider me an expert. I'm just a grip trainer who enjoys it and received tons of valuable informations from Tom Black, David Horne, John Brookfield, Heath Sexton, Wannagrip, Sybersnott and many more.

3crusher is the guy to talk to for strap holds.

Guest Matt Brennecke

Anybody who knows more than me is good enough for right now.

I used 15# last night and got three solid ten second holds right handed, but only one 2 second left handed.  My right hand can do one ten second close on the #1. My left hand can just barely close it. With 7.5 pounds on the left hand, I can do 4 ten second holds with the trainer.

I think what I'll do next week is warmup and then do 3 ten second closes( or whatever I can do) with the #1 right handed, and try ten pounds for ten seconds with the trainer left handed.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Guest Matt Brennecke

After reading the post mentioned above, I think I need to get a thinner strap. I've been using a cut off dog leash that is almost 1/8" thick.