Training idea for little finger

Guest DavidHW

Guest DavidHW

I'm convinced that my pinky is the only obstacle between me and closing my No. 3. So last night, I tried training it more directly. Here's what I did.

Take a Trainer- or No. 1-level gripper. Squeeze it all the way shut and hold it as if you're doing strap holds. Then, while holding it shut tightly, slowly remove your index finger from the handle. Then, if you're stronger than me (and most of you here are ;-), see if you can remove your middle finger from the handle so that only your ring and pinky fingers are keeping the gripper shut.

I was able to hold a No. 1 shut for, oh, 3 seconds, after removing my index finger. The remaining fingers got quite a workout, and I could feel the new muscle recruitment taking place.

FWIW.

David

nice idea.  i feel the smaller fingers are vital in closing a heavy gripper, but they are often neglected.  finding new and creative ways to train is always fun too, and usually leads to big gains.

Guest 115-1005574997

David

Have a go at inverted gripper training as it always fries my little and ring fingers.

More direct little finger lifting would be to use an eagle loop or carabina ring attached to a verticle loading pin

David,

If you have access to a gripper machine such as

the Hammer-Strength which allows for the placing

of only certain fingers on the handles...

Hey David something my brother`s been experimenting wuith recently is 2finger deadlifts with the last two fingers of each hand.

You could try PinkyFinger deadlifts.

Faheem

This morning I tried the Hammer-Strength machine

using only the little finger and the finger adjacent to

it (both hands). Used the machine empty just for

the feel of it- tomorrow is my wrist curl day, and

I may incorporate some of the two finger squeezes

as well.

Guest liquidtheorems

Sounds like you all have a different opinion of how useful the little finger is in closing a heavy gripper.  I am near to closing my #3 and my little finger barely touches the handle.  When I put my entire hand around the gripper I have a harder time closing it.  Same with all my grippers.  Am I the only one that experiences this?

Bob