17 Year Old Thrower/football Player Doing 45 Hub

Captain Crunk

He's one of the kids i help coach. very very strong kids pushing 600 in the squat already. Does no grip training and little deadlifting. I asked him if he could do it and well he did it pretty easy. :bow

http://x2.putfile.com/4/9720065320.jpg

I need to get this kid some grippers and see what he can do with a bit of training and practice.

Edited by Captain Crunk

:) A 600 pound squat's pretty good for 17! He doesn't even look that filled out yet.

Put that kid on the right program, and he might end up a wealthy man- Doesn't look slow- mix in some plyo/agility work and there's no telling where those legs of his can take him. Can't wait to see how he crushes, pinching a 45 right out of the gate. :bow

17 and 600 with that lower body? Was it some sort of quarter squat? Was it in equipment? How much does he weigh?

Put me on the doubters list on this one. :)

17 and 600 with that lower body?  Was it some sort of quarter squat?  Was it in equipment?  How much does he weigh?

Put me on the doubters list on this one.  :)

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=4/9721220323.jpg&s=x2

That was 565 for a set of 4

just knee wraps and a belt. does that look like a 1/4 squat :rolleyes squats are done hip to knees.

6-3 240lbs with a 4 pack abs

305 clean

350 raw bench

4.8 40yard, he's working on it he runs like he has a stick in his ass and its holding back his throwing a lot

4.1 shuttle

31" vertical

Edited by Captain Crunk

:) If that kid puts a little rythum in his step, he's got an excellent shot at going where ever he wants.[Even a little basketball doesn't hurt, in small doses :D ]

He'll probably top out over 6'5' if he eats his Wheaties. That frame's got potential written all over- definately a 300lb'er. You got a potential meateater on your hands, coach.

Some damn good numbers. Have him hit the jump rope and raise his vertical and bring his 40 down a bit and he'll be a good prospect. He's got the height and everything going for him.

Damn 17.....now I feel like 20 is old....lol

Edited by Dude

looks like hes sitting straight down and not back

his knees look so far forward alrdy i doubt he could go much lower or even hit parallel without his heals coming up. bar looks 2 high on his back also

but strong mofo for sure, awsome 45lb hub

Edited by porky

That squat form is terrible, but he is obviously a monster.

Tell him that what he's doing with that plate is awesome for anybody. let alone a 17 year old. If he has time, he should keep training Grip and come to the Global Grip Challenge later this year.

-Jedd-

I have been told I go to low in the squat so compared to what I call full squats thats about 1/3 squat. Don't get me wrong it's impressive. For football training stupid. Theres much better ways to build strength in the lower body for football or anything for that matter than doing half ass squats wearing equitment.

I think he is doing too much weight so he is sacrificing proper form. Have him do lighter weights to gain proper form and then work from there.

To clarify my earlier post = While in most cases any squats are better than no squats - I must say the squat form in that photo is better off not being done at all. It looks like some terrible pressure is being put on his knees.

-Jedd-

Jedd is right that is TERRIBLE for and if you call that paralell you need not teach any body.

Well shit guys, I guess I'm the only person on this board that CAN'T squat 565 for 4 reps that deep. All you guys must be dunking 800 right?

Even if they are high squats, that's a lot of weight. The guy is young and will only get stronger.

I swear, the level of bitchiness on this board has grown exponentially over the last 6 months.

wait,the "trainer" said that was paralle? i hope thats not the case.

maybe that pic was on the up or down stroke? i hope.

if not,that is horrible,big time.

Although he is putting alot of pressure on his knees and keeping far from parallel, this is NOT powerlifting ! The results are obvioulsy there if you look at his scrore sheet and his squatting is the most effective way for sprinting results.

I'm training 2 hockey players this summer and most of their squats are going to be above parallel with a close stance, the knees simply wont be infront of the feet but the principle is the same and the results will come quicker.

17 and 600 with that lower body?  Was it some sort of quarter squat?  Was it in equipment?  How much does he weigh?

just knee wraps and a belt. does that look like a 1/4 squat :rolleyes squats are done hip to knees.

305 clean

350 raw bench

4.8 40yard, he's working on it he runs like he has a stick in his ass and its holding back his throwing a lot

4.1 shuttle

31" vertical

I went to school with a kid like this. The guy(ninth grade) could leg press a ton, don't actually remember the exact poundage. He was around 275 pounds and played fullback/dl and the other kids(3 years his senior) bounced off him. He was a monster with UNLIMITED potential in strength sports, but it must not have been his CALLING. He quit school after his freshman year and joined the Navy. Who knows what he has achieved, nobody(at least I didn't) ever heard from him again.

Edit starts here:

Something else that I remembered about Doug(that was his name). He lifted a VW Beetle into a walkway for a prank. I'll never forget it. Remember, he was a Freshman in high school.

Edited by Wanna Be

305 clean

350 raw bench

4.1 shuttle

31" vertical

Wow, pretty good!!!

Also a nice Hub Lift. :bow

Well shit guys, I guess I'm the only person on this board that CAN'T squat 565 for 4 reps that deep.  All you guys must be dunking 800 right?

Even if they are high squats, that's a lot of weight.  The guy is young and will only get stronger. 

I swear, the level of bitchiness on this board has grown exponentially over the last 6 months.

Bitchiness?

I guess when coaches tell their players good job but they need to shape up with this and that they are just "bitching at them"? ;)

Because one can't squat as much as this kid, they don't have the knowledge to provide feedback to make him BETTER in the future? Or, so we just let things go and say "good job kid". I've seen plenty of lifters lift some decent weights with TERRIBLE form that will eventually catch up to them. This kid is only 17. I hope he gets the right training to maximize his potential because if that is the bottom position of the squat, he's NOT getting it now IMO. I don't care what he's lifting.

Jedd is right that is TERRIBLE for and if you call that paralell you need not teach any body.

I guess you might want to take up reading for once before you post drivel

He squats hip to knees, the powerlifting depth. A picture showing him coming out of the whole and everyone is a naysayer. :rolleyes

BTW good job at the strong man event Clay, you're a sexy beast. :bow

Well shit guys, I guess I'm the only person on this board that CAN'T squat 565 for 4 reps that deep.  All you guys must be dunking 800 right?

Even if they are high squats, that's a lot of weight.  The guy is young and will only get stronger. 

Bitchiness?

I guess when coaches tell their players good job but they need to shape up with this and that they are just "bitching at them"? ;)

Because one can't squat as much as this kid, they don't have the knowledge to provide feedback to make him BETTER in the future? Or, so we just let things go and say "good job kid". I've seen plenty of lifters lift some decent weights with TERRIBLE form that will eventually catch up to them. This kid is only 17. I hope he gets the right training to maximize his potential because if that is the bottom position of the squat, he's NOT getting it now IMO. I don't care what he's lifting.

You're right bad form does catch up. And he still needs to loosen up a lot. But whats obvious in the thread is that people can't accept a 17 year old kid tearing them up. He squats at a legal powerlifting depth. I already posted that. You should read the whole tread next time before you attempt to say such things.

Bitchiness?

You're right bad form does catch up. And he still needs to loosen up a lot. But whats obvious in the thread is that people can't accept a 17 year old kid tearing them up. He squats at a legal powerlifting depth. I already posted that. You should read the whole tread next time before you attempt to say such things.

I think what most people are refering to when they say bad form isnt the depth because we could assume he went deeper but his knees went out in front of his feet and that spells long term trouble.

Basketball uses 185 for their bench tests right ?