Qualification Events For Gripmaster

Sybersnott

This is an idea I've been thinking about for a couple days now, and thought I'd throw it out and get some opinions on it.  To qualify as "Gripmaster", you would go through a series of events (kinda like the Olympics).  You would have a total of ten events, but would only have to perform eight of them; those eight being picked completely at random.

Here are the ten events (in no particular order):

1.  Pinch block (for weight)

2.  Heavy Hammer II (for weight)

3.  Hub lift (for weight)

4.  CoC #2 (for time)

5.  Inch-handle lift (for weight)

6.  Rolling Thunder (for weight)

7.  Plate pinch (for weight)

8.  Anvil horn lift (for weight)

9.  One-handed bar lift (for weight)

10.  Kinney's "Secret Weapon" (for weight)

You would RANDOMLY select seven of the events, and perform them by rules set forth by the IGC.  At the end of the seven events, the "low score" event is thrown out, and you would then pick and perform an eighth event.  Totals are then calculated and percentages evaulated according to bodyweight.  This is then the "score" you are given, and based on what your score is - you are given a "grip rank".

All of this is just moot right now.  I am suggesting different events, and what events should be put into place; these events can change according to the IGC.  As to a time frame when all the events should be performed.... again, that would be set by the IGC.  I would like to think it would be like a "competition-type match", guys lining up waiting to take their turn until all the events are completed.  After it is all done, the calculations are then performed and ranks given.

What do you think?  Is this a realistic concept?  Comments, both good and bad - please post.  If it is a bad idea to you, please post a different concept.  Thanks!!!

that is cool- this way you have to be strong all around.

of course the next ranking i'm trying to accomplish is that second star under my avatar...

the words "grip wars veteran" would help to...

Guest Harlan Jacobs

Sounds like a great idea. I don't know about the bodyweight percentage. This is the first lifting that I have done that bodyweight doesn't seem to mater. We have some armwrestlers and rock climbers that have amazing power . Take Ed coan for example. At 200-230 he is the best powerlifter ever. But can't close the #3.  Should he be penalized for his bodyweight over a climber that weighs 160 that can do one hand chins ? I am not sure bodyweight has much to do with this game.

Guest 115-1005574997

Sybersnott

Excellent idea, but i think its best to have 2 different 'events'.  To qulify as an all round gripmaster, you have to be able to complete recognised lifts ie.

Pinch 2x45lb's

shut #3

plate curl a 45 (or 20kg)

lift an inch dbell replica

bend 2x 60d nail taped together

To find the best all round grip in the world and crown someone 'the grip master' a competition like the they do in the WSM is the fairest with no weight or age allowances.  the one who scores the most points and does the best in all lifts wins!

The contest featuring a lift for pinch, thick bar, crushing, finger and elbow (a curl) with 1 or 2 cross-functional lifts.  If they can be traditional as possible it will keep things in the spirit of the old time strongmen.  For what its worth my suggestion would be:-

Weaver stick to Rear(max single)

2 handed pinch grip on a 2" wide smooth sided metal block(max single)

Hub lift (max single)

A calabrated SOS at say 380PI for strap holds with a 2.5kg plate.

Inch Dbell replica for reps (from floor to above knee high)

Rectangular Fix (max single)

Anvil horn lift (max single)

A ranking system like you have suggested is like the IAWA and USAWA postal competitions and though fun wont have the same credability of competing head to head with other grip lifters for a tital, or achieving set mile stones in the grip world.

Of course, none of this is written in stone.... and is subject to various changes by the IGC.  The bodyweight thing is something that can be evaulated by the IGC committee.

As for the "All-Around Gripmaster"... I like that idea a lot!  :)  Perhaps a "World Class Gripmaster" title.  I stink at bending nails, and plate curling a 45 lb. plate?  Oh boy, if I could do ALL those things you suggested - there would be no doubt as to my gripping abilities!!  :p  :p

How bout it..... anybody else?  Comments, PLEASE!!!  :D

Sounds fun.

1. Just make the events easy to ref.

2. Items that are on hand to most of us.

3. Also make sure it's well balanced as Scott stated.

David

Change your name to Steve he he.

Just kidding :)

I like the idea of no weight allowance (I would though at 250 pounds) unless the poundage 'done' was equalled by a lighter man - a la the last Iron Mind Rolling Thunder comp.

Standard equipment. The Inch replica is very expensive here in the UK - £600.00!! Lets have a range of lifts that represent the varying types of grip strength - ie 4-6 lifts.