Eupopean Grip Championship 2005

Arne

I'm interested to organize this competition in Löddeköpinge in August this year again.

Arne Persson

Great to hear this, Arne.

Hopefully we meet again.

Great news, you did a great job last year, Arne :rock

Indeed great news!

Thanks for taking your time and money to do this.

And with the quality of last years comp's organization, I think people should train really hard to qualify for this one.

Thank you my friends! I hope that I can do a good and fair competition.

• 1 month later...

Steve

Depends on the events. not too keen on getting into bending again really as it messed my shoulder up last time....

I'll probably organize the EUropean Grip Championship the 20 th of August. I'll check the locality tomorrow.

Mikael was kind enough to let me know about the bending event. Thanks.

I don't really want to get back into bending so I'm going to give this comp a miss. It's over to you Steve :)

Mines already apt. Be careful I don't change it to 'stronger than smitty' :p

Like your autosig Jim :) - brutal man...brutal

He had it coming ;). I'll take it down when he closes my 4# :D.

• 3 weeks later...

I was thinking, how long time did the last championship take?

Because I really hope it will go faster than LGCXIII, or am I hoping for too much?

11 hours! Made longer by not having a 'rising bar' rule. The longest portion was the Two hand pinch. It was the longest comp I've ever been in. GGC was 9 hours with 18 competitors, Europe had 12 by 11 hours and most of the British comps have been 4-5 hours for the last few years.

One suggestion is for an adaption of the rising bar to be used as per what Andy did at the last Brits. We told him in advance what width and then our opening poundage. Another suggested after the last European was having another adjustable pinch set up so that one could be getting set up while ones being lifted and judged.

11 hours! Made longer by not having a 'rising bar' rule. The longest portion was the Two hand pinch. It was the longest comp I've ever been in. GGC was 9 hours with 18 competitors, Europe had 12 by 11 hours and most of the British comps have been 4-5 hours for the last few years.

One suggestion is for an adaption of the rising bar to be used as per what Andy did at the last Brits. We told him in advance what width and then our opening poundage. Another suggested after the last European was having another adjustable pinch set up so that one could be getting set up while ones being lifted and judged.

Haha! Okay, I guess I have to bring LOTS of food again :D

LGC XIII took roughly 8 hours (8 competitiors I think), but I though the v-bar and onehand lift took the longest since we competed with both hands.

LGC used to take about 45 minutes per competitor when it was organised by me and Arne. With only Arne having to do almost everything it takes about one hour per competitor. My suggestion for the European Championship would be to make sure Arne has help available throughout the competition. One for keeping track of the score and another one or two for changing weights etc. Separating the competitors according to their pinch width would speed things up. I am not a big fan of the rising bar system but it could save time in the one hand lift for example. Finally, another compromise would be to limit the number of attempts to 4 (down from 5). Allowing competitors to go down in weight would still have most ending up close to their maximum potential for the day; even with only 4 attempts.

The Iron Grip competitions did not take very long mainly because you only had three attempts and used a rising bar system. It did however, give the competing organizer a very substantial advantage against the opposition. Many times have I observed new competitors in the LGC competitions wasting several attempts not having any clue where their maximum potential is on, for them, new equipment. I basically like the idea of competitions geared towards maximum results rather than resembling a guessing game.

A final note; competing with both hands is what makes is a truly allround grip competition.

LGC used to take about 45 minutes per competitor when it was organised by me and Arne. With only Arne having to do almost everything it takes about one hour per competitor.

So why don't you move back to Sweden, I'm sure you'd be of great value here! But I guess it's not an option for you :cry

By the way, I got an off topic question if that's okay, about your rating of grippers. About how much is 1 mm in resistance between 2 different grippers?

Looking at Mikeals reply I agreed with his comment re the new guys but here's the thing - test yourself before you come or use a 1 rep max calculator. There's no way they shouldn't know what they are going to do, at least for openers.

The Iron Grip competitions did not take very long mainly because you only had three attempts and used a rising bar system. It did however, give the competing organizer a very substantial advantage against the opposition. Many times have I observed new competitors in the LGC competitions wasting several attempts not having any clue where their maximum potential is on, for them, new equipment. I basically like the idea of competitions geared towards maximum results rather than resembling a guessing game.

True up to a point, but new competitors were given ample opportunity to try the equipment, loads of advice from top gripsters (Steve and Jim), and were allowed to take warm-up attempts until they reached their competitive weights.

With 5 competitors the comp took just under 4 hours to complete which is about 45 minutes per competitor.