Joakim Palmqvist - a future crushing freak?

Guest StrongerthanArne

Guest StrongerthanArne

Joakim Palmqvist (not a board member) is a 20 yo guy who works out at the same gym as I do. He first tried a gripper in April last year I think. It was Arne's No 2, which is rated at 286 ip but is probably harder than an average #2 (it is harder than a 338 ip PDA gripper of mine). On his first attempt he was a few mm away from closing it. Over the next eight months he tried mine and Arne #3 every now and then (we did our best to hide our grippers to slow down his alarmingly fast progress). He only does singels and never negatives. In late November he closed my #3 and two months later he closed Arne's harder #3. He bought a 399 ip PDA gripper which he does several singels with every day plus that he tries my and/or Arne's #3's as often as he can. The 399 is very close to my #3. The odd thing about him is that he seems to get stronger the more often he closes a hard gripper. Now he is aiming for my 437 ip PDA gripper and he will probably get it in a couple of months time. When I do two or three singel attempts with a #3 I need at least three days of rest before I can repeat the result. He seems to need more like a few hours. I suspected that he would leave me in the dust in the gripper department once he got a gripper of his own and I was right. For warm up he does a maximum attempt with a #3 and usually gets it to within a mm or so. Then he closes it on the next attempt. It is not as much his strength as they way he gained it that amazes me. Several heavy singels every day or even a couple of times per day, month after month. The resting time between the singles (usually three to five) is in the order of a minute or less. He is of large built but not remarkably strong in regular weight lifting as he has only been working out for a year or so.

• 3 months later...
Guest StrongerthanArne

Well, it took him three months and two days. Yesterday, Joakim closed my 437 ip PDA and was about two mm from closing my #3 left handed. He told me he is 7-8 mm away from closing his Elite (it not yet fully seasoned). I have no doubt he will get it before the end of the year. As always he does several singels almost every day and just keeps getting stronger. I did not do too bad myself as I finally managed to close my #3 again (with a bit of grinding I might add). Now, where is that camera.

This guy sounds amazing. He has a naturally strong crushing grip. I too love singles and I find them VERY productive in both weightlifting and grip training.