Grip Machine

gripfreak

Right now I'm doing 175 lbs with both hands and going up weekly. I was wondering how much weight do u guys do?

How many negatives per set is recommended?

thks

What type of grip machine are you using?? The hardy handshake type, the go really grip, etc..

I have a homemede grip machine designed for negatives (it has a foot pedal) by Steve McGranahan. Currently I'm using 310 for like 12 sets max, remember this is the negative portion of the movement only.

Did Steve Build that or did he sell you the one he won at BFGS?

-Jedd-

The machine I bought from Steve had a good price as far as machines go, and he even delivered it :D. It is home-made from his friend. I can't rememeber his name, says he's a blacksmith. The quality and craftsmanship of the machine are excellent.

The machine I bought from Steve had a good price as far as machines go, and he even delivered it  :D.  It is home-made from his friend.  I can't rememeber his name, says he's a blacksmith.  The quality and craftsmanship of the machine are excellent.

Ed built it, Steve brought it to my house to deliver to Tom.

Would that be Ed Claypoole? If so, I would be interested in seeing that machine and knowing how much it costs. I got some blobs from Ed in the past and he was really nice. I would be interested in getting one from him.

Tom

That's A cool grip machine Greg.

is that a foot peg on the bottom to assist with a neg. lift or is it a lock?

Ed don't make junk. He is a master at his trade. His phone # is 1 724 282 4488. Loves to talk about grip stuff too. He still has a few blobs left too. They are wicked!

That is a foot pedal to assist with the negative. Makes getting the weight up easy, so use a lot when your doing only the negative portion as I do with the machine.

The top handle is hollow round on mine, and the bottom is solid, so it gets much tighter than a gripper. The one in Greg's link is actually my machine.

One other tip I figured out is to spray WD-40 down the tower, because it is square box it may bind without a lubricant. Feels like it has wheels after you spray it, makes it much harder.

Ed is a nice guy, a good craftsman, and a lot less expensive than IM or anybody else for that matter, he can build whatever you want to your specs.

Here is a picture of the machine Grip Mcahine

That grip machine design is very much like the one Kinney has in his grip video.

The only problem with using that machine is that you can only use it palms outward.

Right now I'm doing 175 lbs with both hands and going up weekly. I was wondering how much weight do u guys do?  How many negatives per set is recommended?

If you're using the BeefBuilder like I am... I am doing 200 pounds right now on it.

Negatives, timed holds, reps, one handed holds - stuff like that. :)

Two things about the palm out thing. With the palms in you can cheat the grip alot to pull the weight up. I think the palms are out when you close a gripper. One thing I did notice is that you can walk around the OTHER side of the machine and your palms will be down. Yes it is a better grip machine than Kinneys. Ain't that what we all want a better mouse trap. Move on and move up. If you don't want that please move out of the way.

Two things about the palm out thing. With the palms in you can cheat the grip alot to pull the weight up.  I think the palms are out when you close a gripper. One thing I did notice is that you can walk around the OTHER side of the machine and your palms will be down. Yes it is a better grip machine than Kinneys. Ain't that what we all want a better mouse trap. Move on and move up. If you don't want that please move out of the way.

Steve, do you know if Ed makes them on a regular basis, and if so, do you know how much he sells them for? I am very interested in buying one as I myself, like Sybersnott, like to collect grip machines for my arsenal. I will probably call him anyways but I was just wondering if you knew.

One thing I did notice is that you can walk around the OTHER side of the machine and your palms will be down. Yes it is a better grip machine than Kinneys.

I didn't think about that... good one, Steve. As for the Kinney version, he would get on top of it and put his knees on the top of his hands while using the machine.

One thing I did notice is that you can walk around the OTHER side of the machine and your palms will be down. Yes it is a better grip machine than Kinneys.

I didn't think about that... good one, Steve. As for the Kinney version, he would get on top of it and put his knees on the top of his hands while using the machine.

Yeah what I liked about Kinney's machine is that he had it welded to a big wheel that allowed him to stand directly over it.

That's just what I was getting at, Ed can customize the height or a stand, or anything you want. I am very happy with the design he gave me and although I make slow progress, it is steady.

In my opinion any progress is good progress, because once it stops, so does the desire to train usually.