Weakest Fingers On Gripper

Wanna Be

Just a thought, folks. It seems, on the gripper, that the weakest fingers are the ones doing the work. For example, during my 12 ounce curl exercises I also incorporate bottle cap crushes with my fingers. I can easily crush the caps with fingers one and two and sometimes the third finger. The fourth finger(pinky) is weak as sin. When using the gripper, it seems that my strongest finger(one) gets very little play in the close.

Any ideas folks?

As an aside, I just closed the Ironmind #4 with a table no-set, April Fools. That was my weak attempt at humour. :whistel

Edited by Wanna Be

The last 2 fingers are working through a greater range and apply greater torque to the close (lb-for-lb), but if you're squeezing as hard as you can, I think they all will be working hard. IMO though, inverted closes or a parallel-handled grip machine would put more emphasis on the first 2 fingers than grippers--more ROM 4-sure.

I've mostly trained only on the grippers. I guess the question is whether training crush only on grippers will cause the first 2 fingers to lag in strength (relative to their potential)?

Maybe. But then you've got guys like Nathan Holle that only train on the grippers but can still close a #3 with 2 fingers?

I've started doing "inverted-style" closes on my ISG, and toyed with the idea of 2-finger closes (I/M and P/R).

Do any of you guys regularly do 2-finger closes and has it helped your training?

Do inverted closes or training on a machine carry over more to a dyno than regular gripper closes?

I find that doing claw curls with the ring and pinky (I use the IM claw curl) has helped me closed the last part of my coc #2. It is that last 1/4 inch that is the hardest and it is mostly the responsibiblity of the ring and pinky to finish the close.

I can now do about 8 no set reps on my #2 and I'm less than 1/4 inch away from

no-setting the PDA 262. I attribute this largely to the ring and pinky curls...

They just mimick the close....

-t

Just a thought, folks. It seems, on the gripper, that the weakest fingers are the ones doing the work. For example, during my 12 ounce curl exercises I also incorporate bottle cap crushes with my fingers. I can easily crush the caps with  fingers one and two and sometimes the third finger. The fourth finger(pinky) is weak as sin. When using the gripper, it seems that my strongest finger(one) gets very little play in the close.

Any ideas folks?

As an aside, I just closed the Ironmind #4 with a table no-set, April Fools. That was my weak attempt at humour. :whistel

I've thought about this aswell. When holding on to a bar, it seems the first 2 or 3 fingers are doing most of the work. Inverted closes should probably go a long way for increasing your barhold strength.

I like doing pull-ups with various combonations of fingers. That's a cheap way to target the weak digits. :)

It feels nice to hang out up there on the last two- pretty comfortable, and you can always take it to failure with safety.