How do rip tennis balls in half?

Guest Youngguy

You don't. The ones Vansart tore in half back in his day were of extremely low quality compared to today's (like the coins he bent), that's how he did it.

This is one "myth" that Brookfield exposed in MOHS.  

It can't be done.  Perhaps it could be performed with tennis balls around the turn of the century.  The tennis balls of today are manufactured of better quality, and bursting or "ripping" one apart just can't happen.

Everyone re-read MOHS, Brookfield calls it a legitimate feat of strength to tear a tennis ball in half. He says crushing one is not legitimate, but tearing one is possible. He said the trick is to get a small tear started so you can insert your finger to tear.

I would cite the page number, but one of my friends has my copy. Someone check again and post the page number please. If memory serves, he wrote this at the end of the section about crushing one until it bursts (myth).

page 86

......"The second feat of grip strength that we will examine is the feat of squeezing a tennis ball until it bursts or explodes. This is not the same as tearing a ball in two. Tearing a tennis ball in half is very difficult, but not impossible. Grasping the ball and trying to start a tear in the seam is how you would accomplish this feat. It is easily one of the hardest feats of hand strength that can be tackled.".....

all the best

mannek

Thanks Mannek. I knew it was in there, just couldn't remember where. After I first read MOHS I tried on a tennis ball that already had a small hole in it, I couldn't even stuff one of my fingers in there.