Step Away From The Bar!

EricMilfeld

I was really starting to wonder if I hadn't reached my potential with short bar bending, but yesterday I shaved 1/4" off my previous best. I was not only very pleased and encouraged, but surprised. After giving it some thought I think I know where credit is due. Though I didn't do it intentionally, I realised I had backed off of short bar bending in preparation for the strongman show I did recently. I still bent every week, but only to maintain the groove. Most of my intensity was directed towards weighted chins, sledge levers to the nose, and card tearing. Once a week I would also do a little thick bar and dynamic thumb work with the TTK type machine that Mike Potts made for me. So then a couple of workouts ago I came back focused on my usual high intensity, low volume bending routines with fantastic results. I should also mention that I've only in the last couple of weeks decided to put on a little muscle mass. So far I've only gained about four pounds, some of which is fat, but this probably accounts for atleast some of my increased crush down power. I just might get a 5" Fat Bastard one of these days. So if you're in the bending duldrums, try a short vacation with a focus on some of the other grip disciplines, and come back with renewed vigor... and a personal best!

Ha, it's stupid to say but you are kinda my bending inspiration. Keep up the good work Eric!

I have found the same thing- I reach a peak, back way off, come back slow then go like a damn animal for a few weeks.

I'm gonna try to shave off another 1/4 myself in 2 weeks.

Eric,

Glad to hear you are moving in on the 5" FBBC. Good luck, I am sure you can get it. I got some goals right now, I was wondering what you are shooting for other than the 5" FBBC? Have you started into the G5 5/16" and Grade 8 5/16" yet?

Greg

Eric,

You give simple words of wisdom, that are so hard to follow for a person who is addicted to steel.

Great going on the PR and good luck on the MASS! :)

I forget where I heard it, but I remember reading that taking a break allows your muscle memory to forget it's limit, or plateau that it set to prevent you from hurting yourself. It is harder to say with resistance training, the boost may come from renewed enthusiasm or full recovery, but everyone can use a break now in then.

Way to go bro. Never any doubt here. I think the layoff helps everything from mini-injuries to that deep down drive that day in day out is so hard to keep going.

Thank you for the support guys!

Greg, my next goal is the 5" Bastard, but I still haven't given up on a 5/16"x7" grade 5. Did I hear you right? A 5/16" grade 8? You mean like four feet long, right? :blink

• 2 weeks later...

I'll have to second your statement, Eric. I haven't done any serious bending since the GGC, but this past weekend at Anson's I decided to give it a whirl (double underhand to boot). A 60d went down no sweat, so I grabbed a regular G5 and melted it. Feeling good I took a tough G5 and put a pretty good kink in it underhanded before switching over to kill it. I tried one of my super tough 60d nails, but that was a no-go. I've really been working my wrists hard the past few months and I think it's helped a ton.

* I should add that before this layoff a regular G5 was a struggle underhanded. Usually I would just put a slight kink in it before switching over.

Edited by underdawg