Pinching 2 25's

Guest NotchJohnson

Guest NotchJohnson

There are 10 lb. plates and the next jump is a 25 pounder.  That means that a jump with the pinch would go from 20 lbs. to 50 pounds.  How do you make this jump?  Are there auxillary exercises?  What is a repectable pinch grip hold?   ;)

You could do long holds with the 10's, or you could do 3 10's, or 4 10's, or 3 10's and a 5, or a 25 and a 10, etc, etc.  You could also do negatives.  They actually can work pretty well for pinch gripping.  You could also just keep trying them until they eventually come up one workout.

I would say 2 25's is respectable as most people can't do it.

Michael Falkov

I'd suggest getting a dowel, running it through the pair of 10's, and loading some 5's and/or 2.5's on the outside of the plates. That's what I did to get to the double 25 pinch, although the wider grip took a little getting used to.

Another way to get there would be to lift them two-handed with a bar through the middle and add weight progressively until you can lift 100 lbs.  Then, 2-25's with one hand should be pretty close.  Good luck.

If all you have are 10's and 25's, you could try using the 10's with less fingers, for example just your thumb and index finger then thumb and middle finger for timed holds.  Or, you could try and pick up two 45's with both of your hands, and that will get you where you need to be.

Guest Askalas

The way I did it was to use a pinch block with a loading pin with weights attached.  Although this is not the same as pinching strictly on plates it did allow me to get up to 2 25's.  I'm using a dowel through the center of the plates now inorder to get up to 2 35's...I like this method a lot better because I just like the feel of pinching the plates instead of a wooden block.

Negatives sound like a good idea too.  Just 2 hand pinch the weight up then let go with one hand and hold on for dear life ;)

Too work up to the 2-35s, I used 2-25s on one end of an olympic dumbbell.  I then added 2.5s (any size larger and I couldnt get a good grip) until i got to 70 pounds for 10 second+ holds.  

THe only problem with this training method was that the bar kept the plates from slipping apart which made it a little easier.  I could do 70 this way for a few weeks before I finally got the 2-35s.  I will continue this method with the 2-35s once I can to train for 2-45s.

Rick Walker :hehe

For me, long holds with lighter weights were the way to go.  In your position, I would work with 2 tens until I could hold them for 45 seconds to a minute.  Then, try pinching 3 tens.  When you get 30 pounds for a minute, you will have no problem pulling 25's off the ground.