So Cal Grip Decathlon

Hubgeezer

I got back from my 285 mile trip to LA around 2 hrs. ago. I will post a little now, try to be purely factual, and as people wake up, get around to posting, commenting, and gathering results, they can chime in.

This was the 3rd grip contest that Keven Meskew produced since March of 2004. Kevin is an Iron Game enthusiast, highly competitive power lifter in the 1970s and 1980s, recent small gym owner, and all around good guy. He should be given some kind of award for putting these things on.

There were 8 competitors Saturday: Clay Edgin, Steve B, Handgripperman, MeatLoaf, Zach Passman, Human Machine, Hubgeezer, and a young man from Solvang, California(100 miles North of LA, small inland town) named Rick sorry I only caught the last name verbally, who I believe is on The Gripboard. Clay won, received medals in 9 of the 10 events, and I believe he won 5 of the 10 events. The 1st place in the other 5 events were spread among Zach, Handgripperman, Meat Loaf, and Hubgeezer.

I think the most interesting thing, from a technical point of view, is that Kevin scores the events in the same manner as, say, the Olympic Track & Field Decathlon. He uses Strength Tables from fitness statistic guru(and member of the Gripboard) Dale Harder. For this event, I believe that Kevin used tables already developed by Dale, recently developed by Dale, and some that Kevin came up with for this particular contest. It works in a very different manner than, say the GGC in September, which was based on the lowest score winning, and the total score was reached by adding together what place you came in on the individual events. The results could be significantly different for a contest if it was measured using one of the two separate methods. As an example, in the first 3 events, I placed 5th, 4th, and tied for 3rd, and yet at the end of 3 events, using the points method, I was a distant 5th. Meat Loaf had scored huge in the Plate Curl, Handgripperman had scored huge in the grippers, and big scores count for more than places.

The events were:

1. Grippers. The individual competitor chose which gripper level by IronMind he would attempt to hold a poker chip between the handles of the gripper. If you held a chip between the handles of #3 for 2 seconds, that feat would be worth more than hoding a chip for 2 hours between the handles of a #2. The stopwatch was stopped when the chip fell to the floor.

2.Plate curl. One repetition, how many pounds of a semi-strict curl could you do. I think Meatloaf won with a 45 lb plate. There was some cheating allowed, as it is almost impossible to strict curl a barbell plate.

3. Apollon's Axle. Maximum weight for one repetition.

4. Two hand plate pinch. Maximum weight for one rep.

5. Wrist Roller. This was a homemade contraption that stood over 6 feet tall, and a chain hung from the device to the weight stack on the floor. How fast could you roll it up? Some stood on crates to be at a higher level than the roller, some stood on the floor and worked it with their hands rolling it at a height taller than their head. A stopwatch was used to measure the time, the bar was more than 2 inches thick, and the weight was 75 pounds.

6. IronMind Block for maximum weight. I forgot to mention, most events had 4 separate attempts in a rising bar format.

7.Phat Ass Dumbell Lift. Another homemade device, basically a pipe 3 1/2 inches thick. You had to deadlift it, and lifting between the legs to the crotch was not allowed. It was either overhand deadlift style or suitcase side-style.

8. IronMind Hub Lift.

9. Rolling Thunder.

10.Trap Bar hold for time. Everyone had the same weight, and it was lifted from blocks approximately 18 inches off the ground. The weight was either 500 or 505, I don't remember.

More to come from others, I am sure.

Hubgeezer

Thank you Mike for warming up the crowd before I give the details (results), which I'll post either sometime today or tomorrow, (it is Easter, and I gotta work a few of my 6 tasks with my fiance), and OBTW, the young man named Rick, his last name is Haenal...till then, Go Illinois U !!

:mosher

I got back from my 285 mile trip to LA around 2 hrs. ago. I will post a little now, try to be purely factual, and as people wake up, get around to posting, commenting, and gathering results, they can chime in.

This was the 3rd grip contest that Keven Meskew produced since March of 2004. Kevin is an Iron Game enthusiast, highly competitive power lifter in the 1970s and 1980s, recent small gym owner, and all around good guy. He should be given some kind of award for putting these things on.

There were 8 competitors Saturday: Clay Edgin, Steve B, Handgripperman, MeatLoaf, Zach Passman, Human Machine, Hubgeezer, and a young man from Solvang, California(100 miles North of LA, small inland town) named Rick sorry I only caught the last name verbally, who I believe is on The Gripboard. Clay won, received medals in 9 of the 10 events, and I believe he won 5 of the 10 events. The 1st place in the other 5 events were spread among Zach, Handgripperman, Meat Loaf, and Hubgeezer.

I think the most interesting thing, from a technical point of view, is that Kevin scores the events in the same manner as, say, the Olympic Track & Field Decathlon. He uses Strength Tables from fitness statistic guru(and member of the Gripboard) Dale Harder. For this event, I believe that Kevin used tables already developed by Dale, recently developed by Dale, and some that Kevin came up with for this particular contest. It works in a very different manner than, say the GGC in September, which was based on the lowest score winning, and the total score was reached by adding together what place you came in on the individual events. The results could be significantly different for a contest if  it was measured using one of the two separate methods. As an example, in the first 3 events, I placed 5th, 4th, and tied for 3rd, and yet at the end of 3 events, using the points method, I was a distant 5th. Meat Loaf had scored huge in the Plate Curl, Handgripperman had scored huge in the grippers, and big scores count for more than places.

The events were:

1. Grippers. The individual competitor chose which gripper level by IronMind he would attempt to hold a poker chip between the handles of the gripper. If you held a chip between the handles of #3 for 2 seconds, that feat would be worth more than hoding a chip for 2 hours between the handles of a #2. The stopwatch was stopped when the chip fell to the floor.

2.Plate curl. One repetition, how many pounds of a semi-strict curl could you do. I think Meatloaf won with a 45 lb plate. There was some cheating allowed, as it is almost impossible to strict curl a barbell plate.

3. Apollon's Axle. Maximum weight for one repetition.

4. Two hand plate pinch. Maximum weight for one rep.

5. Wrist Roller. This was a homemade contraption that stood over 6 feet tall, and a chain hung from the device to the weight stack on the floor. How fast could you roll it up? Some stood on crates to be at a higher level than the roller, some stood on the floor and worked it with their hands rolling it at a height taller than their head. A stopwatch was used to measure the time, the bar was more than 2 inches thick, and the weight was 75 pounds.

6. IronMind Block for maximum weight. I forgot to mention, most events had 4 separate attempts in a rising bar format.

7.Phat Ass Dumbell Lift. Another homemade device, basically a pipe 3 1/2 inches thick. You had to deadlift it, and lifting between the legs to the crotch was not allowed. It was either overhand deadlift style or suitcase side-style.

8. IronMind Hub Lift.

9. Rolling Thunder.

10.Trap Bar hold for time. Everyone had the same weight, and it was lifted from blocks approximately 18 inches off the ground. The weight was either 500 or 505, I don't remember.

More to come from others, I am sure.

Hubgeezer

I put my two cents in on the other grip decathlon thread.

Nice report Mike.A pleasure meeting you.

You truly have my respect with your gripping feats of strength.

I think you showed all us young bucks you are for real.

I can't believe that at one time I decided not to come to this contest. I had such a fun time! The weekend started for me at 9:30 am Friday when I left Salinas for a quick 4 hour, 290 mile drive. When I got into Chatsworth at 1:30, I called Kevin M. and he said he was working till 5, so I killed time by driving between and around Chatsworth and Arleta for a while.

At 5:30 Saturday morning, we woke up to start getting things together for the contest. By 9:30, most everyone had showed up to the gym and we got started right at 10 as planned. Before the contest, we were testing grippers, bending, and tearing phonebooks. With all that was going on that day, I can't remember what everyone did, but here's what I remember:

Grippers - Kevin (handgripperman) stepped up bigtime and held that poker chip between the handles of a solid #3 (which we both thought was harder than the MM1) for 28.something seconds. I somehow managed to hold it for 28.something seconds too, and beat him by a half second. A word to the wise - your hands do NOT like going for a max effort hold on a tough ass gripper without a proper warmup.

Plate curl - not a strong event for me. As with powerlifting and strongman, our own natural body types either help or hinder our performances in a lot of different events. We used a 25lb standard (1" hole) plate that was maybe 1/2" thick as the base for the curl. Due to my large thumb pad, I couldn't pinch more then 40lbs with it. I could pinch the plate in the left hand, but couldn't curl it. So 40 is where I finished I think. Or 37.5, I can't remember for sure. In the process of the left handed curl, I jammed my ring finger which quickly went numb and swelled up. I still can't get my wedding ring off. Zach took second in the event and BannedLoaf took first with a very easy looking 45lb curl.

Axle deadlift - I don't remember what anyone pulled, including myself, but I think I won the event with a pull in the mid 300's. I used my last attempt to get some extra points but couldn't keep the bar in my hands past the knee.

Two hand pinch - instead of the dyno, which we didn't have, we did the two hand plate pinch. Kevin M. has the prettiest plates for pinching you ever saw. York plates that are 2.5" together with nice deep spiral grooves in the plates from the machining process. I was sure that I was going to nail 200 on those plates yesterday, but missed 195 after getting 185 and taking 2nd in the event. Kevin (HGM) did 175 and it was his first day trying the event. Zach took the win with 195lbs

Pinch block - holy shit, I don't even want to talk about this event. I sat on my ass and watched everyone warm up with it pulling nearly 50lbs easily, so I figured I could do it. My lack of preparation and, well, arrogance almost cost me the contest. I've pulled 55lbs on Hubgeezer's IM pinch block and I knew they were slick as snot, so I thought I could get 50 yesterday. I opened at 48 (I think). Miss. Okay, regrip. Miss. Slip. Miss. Miss. Miss. Miss. Slip. Hover. Miss. flabbergastenpoopy, okay I will just take the zero on this attempt and try this weight again in a minute. I tried everything - water on the hands, chalk, no chalk, alcohol. I went up to the weight again with the same result as before. About 10 misses. Sat back down. What the flabbergastenpoopy? Finally I spit on my hands, rubbed them together, and hoisted the 48lbs with the left hand to lockout, then not-so-gently lowered the weight to show it who was boss. I would guess that I made 30 attempts at lifting 48lbs, and only one had a chance of locking out. I missed my last attempt at 53lbs or whatever it was. Had I not made 48 in any of my 4 at-bats, I would have bombed the event and lost the contest to Zach.

3 1/2" dumbbell - there was 81lbs (including the handle) on the bar for a warmup. Some guys got it, most didn't. I deadlifted it, then cleaned it, so I felt comfortable about doing better in this event. I ended up with a 101lb lift for the win in the event and a failed last attempt at 111lbs.

Let me take a break here to comment on something. Zach Passman is a strong sonofabitch. Thickbar lifts are, IMO, a combination of wrist strength and thumb strength. Zach stomped me on the pinch block, plate curl, and two hand pinch but couldn't quite transfer that strength to the thickbar stuff. He should have beat me on the thickbar events too!

Wrist roller - Dan "MisunderstoodLoaf" Harrison started us off with a smoking time of 9 seconds. As Geezer mentioned, this roller was maybe 6ft high and 75lbs was difficult to roll due to the apparatus. Steve Belanger came back with time a half second faster and the race was on. Zach set the roller on fire by hauling up the weight in 5.something seconds. I managed 6.something for 2nd place. Until Zach did 5 seconds, I didn't believe it was even possible. But every time he put his hand on that roller, the weight moved up 6 inches!

Hub - another mediocre lift for me. I think I have done 55 or 57.5 at Hubgeezer's garage, but knew I couldn't get that here after doing so many events. I think I got either 48 or 50, Zach got 52 I think, and Hubgeezer SMOKED 55 for the win. He made several attempts at 65lbs and had it off the ground many times.

Rolling Thunder - The handle we used hasn't seen a lot of activity and is probably only ever used in these contests. Opened at 147 to get a feel for the implement, then went to 177, 192 for the win, and tried 202 to make up some extra points, but somehow it felt glued to the ground.

Trap bar hold - this is probably the best way to finish out a contest. I think BFGS did the farmer's hold last too. You're tired, you're hungry, you've been through 7 hours of maximum efforts and intensity. All you have to do is hang on. We were all given one shot at this, with a second attempt if desired. My pick for the event, Dan, dropped after 11 seconds so I wondered if I had underestimated the weight. After all, here's a guy that trains with pro strongmen and keeps up with them. Kevin Bussi ground through an impressive hold on a bum knee. Steve B came back after his first attempt to greatly increase his time, even with an elbow he injured a long time ago. Hubgeezer hereby forfeits his right to bitch about his bad back anymore, as the 50 year old CPA held onto 505lbs for 22 seconds. I pussed out at 38 seconds thinking that was all I had to do in order to win the event and the contest. Zach Passman, who I can't say enough good things about, pulled 30 seconds I think. Meat came back for a second attempt and held on for a half second longer than me. All the while, he was showing off by picking up one leg and balancing himself and the quarter ton effortlessly on the other leg. There was no way I was letting Dan beat me, so I stepped back into the hex bar with the intention of letting my grip fail before I let go. I wanted one minute, but had to be happy with 48 seconds.

It was interesting to watch everyone deadlift the bar and then as time wore on, their bodies stretched and compressed to the point where the weights were barely hovering over the blocks.

Despite my poor showing on the pinch block and finishing behind Zach and others in a lot of events, I took home a few real nice trophies (225lb+ class winner, overall, biggest RT pull) 9 medals, and two gift certificates that were donated by Ironmind - one for the overall win and the other for the biggest RT pull. A combined value of $60. The FIRST thing I'm buying is a new pinch block and if there is enough left over I'll get a new RT handle. No way do I want to be caught with my pants down like that again.

After the contest, we lifted and carried on while eating pizza. Dan and his brother took turns stinking up the place with some disturbing flatulence. Dan's brother Tony was lifting during the entire contest. He is maybe 110lbs and he was pressing near that weight on an 8" log ALL DAY LONG. Then he'd watch the contest for a few minutes, fart near someone (Zach was the most memorable victim) and then go do heavy log cleans or axle curls and front squats.

Dan and Zach did some front squats and I worked in at 225, although I was so burnt out that I didn't go heavier. Dan missed 405 but then nailed 365x1 and 315 for a few. I convinced Dan that we needed to press so we left the bar in the rack and did some push presses. 225, no problem for either of us, 285 I failed on while Dan knocked out 3 reps. Then Dan tried for a PR of 305 and missed it twice. I actually came close to locking it out but couldn't get my right shoulder to work for me. I hit 275 afterwards and was happy with that. Dan wasn't though. He went on to Four score and seven years ago I am the MAN because I swear and I want everyone to know how manly I am by using profanity.ing stick 315 overhead @ 252lbs bodyweight for the first time. Dumbass that he is though, someone said "Hey Dan, let's see you jump with that weight over your head" so he tried it and almost crippled himself. His feet did leave the floor when he jumped though... Missed 325 but made 305 again.

We went back to Dan's house to lift, eat, and drink. We warmed up with his 95lb 12" log and then did 185 and made too big of a jump to 275. Dan was inches from backpeddling into an old dresser in his driveway with the weight, so we had to be careful. I had little in the tank at this point and missed 275 on the log although I should have had it. Dan cleaned 325 with some effort and didn't even attempt the press. First smart thing he did all day! hahaha Again, Tony was off to the side pressing the axle overhead with some weight on it. We took the weight to 235 - Dan made 3 reps and I made 4, nearly stumbling into aforementioned dresser in the process.

Then Dan used my straps to affix himself to 375lbs per hand on the farmer's walk and made it what I would consider to be about 60 feet roundtrip. His body strength gave out several times and he had to keep relifting the implements. Then he collapsed on the ground at the finish line. 10 minutes later, he was strapped to the handles again, making a faster roundtrip with 750lbs in his hands. The guy is a monster.

Kevin and I said to hell with that FW nonsense and did some bending. Various nails and bolts and Kevin tried a shiny red. He got it within a minute. I tried a dark one and didn't remember them being so hard. Other than doing one 60d last month, I haven't bent anything since December. Got it though. Then two more back to back and now they were going easily. I wanted to try something challenging, but attainable probably, so I wrapped up a 6" FBBC and got it fairly quickly. My shoulders are singing today though, with all the pressing and bending going on.

Afterwards, we went to a local burger/burrito place and had some of the hottest carne asada burritos and biggest cheeseburgers I've ever eaten. Damn tasty. Then we came back and made Jeff, Tony, and Kevin watch Rocky Horror Picture Show for the first time. Great movie.

This morning Dan came walking into the living room like all his joints were seized up, and he sat down with such caution that you could tell he was in serious pain from the previous day's workout. I contemplated pushing him over for fun, but thought he might shatter.

Edited by ClayEdgin

Great report. Congrats to the win Clay and well done everyone.

A great trip to sunny Chatsworth!

10 events is a lot. We began at about 10am, and finished up around 5pm--so everyone was pretty well spent after a full day of gripping.

Kevin ran a really fun event, with refreshments and great awards for the winners--both individual events and overall.

Some notes: Mike Corlet (sp)/Hubgeezer: This guy is a force to be reckoned with...the most unassuming competitor, Mike took notes on every event and lifter. He has lost what looks to be about 40 lbs since last year's contest at Venice Beach, and I hardly recognized him. He's got a unique way of trying the implements during competition: He would attempt a particular weight on either the RT or the Hub, with his left hand...he would slip, slip, slip, slip, slip...then go to his right hand (just before the clock would run out on him) and HIGH PULL the weight. Very strange approach, but Mike quietly cruised past the other lifters in several events, most notably the Hub (no shocker here).

Also, Jeff/Human Machine possesses frightening intensity: He'd work himself into an absolute frenzy before his attempts, and go at his attempt as if there simply WAS nothing else...I was a bit concerned on more than one occassion that he'd miss a pull and run over and chew my face off, or Kevin's foot, or ...you get the point. Nicest guy in-between events, but a fury come platform time.

Kevin/Handgripperman also performed well, missing the gripper event by .5 seconds to Clay. He and the other young stud animals were doing plenty of feats in between attempts, events, and all throughout the day. Tearing phonebooks, bending bolts and nails, and whatever else they could get their hands on. I think that if Kevin can sit still next contest and use that energy on his attempts--the results will reflect the change.

Dan/Mloaf was looking huge in an Xsmall t-shirt, and proved himself in a number of events, the 3.5 inch DB DL being a memorable one for me. We were not allowed a thumbless grip on any of the implements, but Dan still used his big wrists to take his thumb out of the equation. He wasn't thrilled with his performance, but he did very well.

I'm pleased with how I did, and losing to Clay isn't all that bad...the final event (500 lb TrapBar hold) was a fun one, and all competitors took their attempt before me. Kevin M ran over to the scoring table to see what I'd need to win the contest, as Clay and I were only separated by a few hundred points...

He made some calculations, and then called out: "Zach, you need to hold the bar for 3 minutes and 18 seconds to win."

Yeah. Sure.

I could have done it easily, but instead I dropped the bar at 30 seconds or so. Didn't want to make Clay feel bad for coming all the way from Salinas just to take second place.

I'm happy with my 195 pinch, and think 200 might have gone had I not made some poor choices with my attempts. Several of the events were VERY deceiving, as Clay mentioned--and the difference between what one could lift (on the pinch block, for instance) and NOT lift was very small...just a 2.5 lb jump could mean a big miss.

Thanks to Kevin for a great time and great venue--the Power Palace has everything one needs to make serious gains in PL/Oly Lifting and Strongman--lots of Strongman implements and grip stuff, sleds, logs, etc. If you're in So Cal and need a place to train--Chatsworth should be your destination.

SoCal will be sorry to lose Clay to New Mexico, but hopefully the contests will compel his occassional return to us.

And as usual it was great to see my grip buddies and to make some new ones. It's fun to talk shop with others who share the same obscure interest, and don't have to pretend that they know/care what you're talking about.

Hey Fellas, I just wanted to say that I had a great time. Thanks Kevin M for putting on such a great contest. Everyone was very supportive even though the competition was fierce. I don't know about you guys but my lower arms are toast.

Hope to see everyone again soon!

Jeff

Also, Jeff/Human Machine possesses frightening intensity:  He'd work himself into an absolute frenzy before his attempts, and go at his attempt as if there simply WAS nothing else...I was a bit concerned on more than one occassion that he'd miss a pull and run over and chew my face off, or Kevin's foot, or ...you get the point.  Nicest guy in-between events, but a fury come platform time. 

Hey Zach, I was so hungry by the 4th event that I really was thinking of biting your face off. At one point I looked over at you and you turned into a giant turkey leg. Your lucky you had those almonds and rice cakes.

It was great seeing you man.

Jeff

Sounds like a great time guys. I vow to sign up and compete next year. I don't mind getting my ass kicked by most if not all.