Can You Use Your Thumb?

turtlefiend

I was wondering, is it acceptable, after you get the gripper almost closed, to use your thumb? Like, stretch it across to the outside (arm, leg, appendage) and use the thumb to pull it towards yourself. Even if it is acceptable, would you want to? I dunno.

I just got all of my grippers in the mail. I got the guide, sport, trainer, 1, 2, 3 and 4.

I'm new. Help, please God someone help.

Yes,I just read about this in mossman's workout report.

"jedd pointed out to me that when i got to close a gripper, my thumb is sticking outwards, almost straight out, instead of being wrapped around like it should be...."

Edited by gerryg

So you're saying that not only can you do it, but you should? Just crush the bastard any way you can?

Looks like you spent some money too, haha :yikes.

Don't worry tho, I'm not some rich kid, i worked to buy all the stuff myself. I learned of training for grip strength reading articles on bodybuilding.com.

Welcome aboard, turtlefiend. You might want to read the GripBoard FAQ: http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=5420

I'd also recommend buying Mastery of Hand Strength by John Brookfield. It's a must-read, for sure. :D

Also, there's TONS of knowledge to be gained by searching for something that interests you in grip training, and reading back through the OLD threads... they go way back to 2001, and there's lots of good reading to do. :phone

Welcome aboard, turtlefiend.  You might want to read the GripBoard FAQ: http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=5420

I'd also recommend buying Mastery of Hand Strength by John Brookfield.  It's a must-read, for sure. :D

Also, there's TONS of knowledge to be gained by searching for something that interests you in grip training, and reading back through the OLD threads... they go way back to 2001, and there's lots of good reading to do. :phone

Yeah, Mastery of Hand Strength is a good book. I have that and The Gripmaster's Manual. I got MoHS for free from a guy online who had an extra copy, but I would have bought it sooner or later, it has a lot of very helpful excercise and even some sample routines.

Thanks for the help. I've read a lot about gripping, but I'm sure a lot of it will come with experience.

welcome aboard new guys. close the gripper however you want. theres no rules. lol

btw,turtlefeind,what made you choose that screen name?

Edited by king crusher

Is there a table of contents of MoHS and the other grip books to look at somewhere to see what it covers? Is it just grippers or does it encompass the blobing and card tearing, etc...

welcome aboard new guys. close the gripper however you want. theres no rules. lol

btw,turtlefeind,what made you choose that screen name?

I watched ninja turtles the other day. There's Raph, a little too Raph. Wonderful.

Sorry if, you were expecting something like, I raise turtles to fight in a no holds barred, once a millenium match of turtular fury. It's lame, I know.

Edited by turtlefiend

Is there a table of contents of MoHS and the other grip books to look at somewhere to see what it covers? Is it just grippers or does it encompass the blobing and card tearing, etc...

Dude, MOHS covers past and present gripmasters, basics of what grip strength is, Building: Crushing grip, pinching grip, Block weights, thick handled dumbells, and various other exercises, such as weight plate curls, wrist rollers, etc. There's also notes on manual labor and strength from that, training goals, and feats that are world class (such as John Brookfield crushing a potato).

GET THIS BOOK! It's a great read. :phone

btw... you can get it on Amazon.com, as well.

Edited by ryaneverk2

• 2 weeks later...

Also be sure to check out Godfrey's site at Eric Godfrey

An excellent source of information there. Good for you for getting into grip, best of luck with your training!

Also be sure to check out Godfrey's site at Eric Godfrey

An excellent source of information there. Good for you for getting into grip, best of luck with your training!

I'm really glad you put this link up. I had no idea what a pony clamp was. I like the site.

The site is still up - it just got over-visited for its bandwidth allotment.

Bookmark it and hit it back in a couple of days or so, bro.

-Jedd-

Sorry if, you were expecting something like, I raise turtles to fight in a no holds barred, once a millenium match of turtular fury.  It's lame, I know.

Well, I WAS expecting something like that.

Thanks for squashing all my expectations. :cry

Sorry if, you were expecting something like, I raise turtles to fight in a no holds barred, once a millenium match of turtular fury.  It's lame, I know.

Well, I WAS expecting something like that.

Thanks for squashing all my expectations. :cry

Sorry.

• 2 years later...
Help, please God someone help.

lol, i'd hate to see how you act if it was an emergency :yikes

I just had to post something in this two year old thread... this is maybe the first thread to had me laughing out loud while reading it. Maybe it's not funny to others, but for some reason, here @ work at almost noon on a saturday, with nothing to do honestly, just viewing old posts.. I came across this. The way this fellow asks for help, with that las sentence on the original post, is just downright hilarious in my opinion... And philthy's comment is exactly what I thought when I read it as well. Oh man, what a way to ask for help.. you'd think he's in a life or death situation or something, like someone's life depends on it... not only a question of using your thumb or not when crushing the gripper, heh. NOTE: this is by no means anything bad about the author of the post, if it sounds this way, then I apologize in advance, my english skills aren't the best and I can be mis-interpreted sometimes. I just thought it sounded very very funny :)