A New Black Log #43

Tom Black

Now, no one wonders why they call you Frightener of steel. Excellent workout report Tom, as usual.

I once worked in a hardware store and one of my regular customers always bought very cheap tools . One day, he told me that these low prices tools were as tough as the lifetime warranty ones. I grabbed a pair of those cheap pliers and squeeze it strong. The handles almost touched. I then made a 1" bend in a 3/8 key, a tough one. You should have see the face of the guy. He never bought those cheap tools anymore.

Could I bend a wrench, never in 100 years.

Good job Tom. !

Guest woody36

Tom,

I rolled another frying pan yesterday,thicker than

the other two i did.I was wondering what type of pan

in your opinion would be the hardest to roll (material wise)

given the same diameters?

I ask because i have my eye on a stainless steel one

that looks like it could be a challenge (maybe too much of one

)

Any idea?

Best regards

Ray.

Ha, you guys are cracking me up!  Tom von Blackmann!  Joe, I guess you’ve been waiting 2 months to say that, since I did that workout in December.  Tou, I realize now I should have mentioned the brand name of the wrench, which in light of your comments is significant.  It was a box wrench made by Allen (7/16"), the same company who invented the Allen wrench.  It was “top shelf” stuff, but I was attracted to it because of the dimensions looked good for bending.  Speaking of Frightening steel, last week I was bored after my regular workout and decided to try one of those 12”x3/8” spikes (120-penny nail?).  I bent the thing a full 3”, which is my best ever.    Upon analysis of the angle of the bend, it is to the “sticking point” so if I can get beyond there I should be able to finish it into a U shape.  I compared it to many other bends that I’ve not finished (like a piece of 7”x5/16” cold rolled that must not be quite as hard as the Ironmind red) and it had the exact same angle of bend.

Woody, I don’t have a clue on the frying pans.  That sounds like a real expensive hobby, even more than bending high quality wrenches.

I hope no one new stumbles on this board today, I think they will think we are insane- frying pans, 12" spikes and wrench bending!

Tom - I have been wondering about the idea of a "sticking point" of a bend. Do you think the sticking point exists within you or the steel? Personally, I feel that it is a position or area in the range on motion that I am weaker at (ie. it exists within me/the bender). What do you think?

mike m.

Good question.  I have a friend who is a materials scientist and I posed this question to him once.  It was after the observation that some of my tough uncompleted bends were basically at the same angle.   His answer basically was that it really was a characteristic of the steel.  He said that steel bends non-linearly, that is, as it is bent more it is harder to bend (this is because one side of the steel is compressing, the other stretching).  You might not feel this when you bend steel because it actually does get hotter, which compensates for the non-linearity, in my opinion.  When scientists bend steel to test it they do not bend it nearly as fast as I do and thus the force needed increases until a certain point.  He said that this point probably corresponded to my “sticking point.”    Of course, that said, I also think there is a certain loss of leverage precisely at the point that I’m talking about, so you could say it is me as well, but not a mental thing, just a physical reality of the leverage at that point.

Geez, that’s a really technical answer.  Back in Engineering school you would have to go and get a beer after talking like that!   :p

Tom

Did you manage to bend the two 60D nails taped together that David sent you?

I saw David bend two together on Tuesday night.  The amount of effort required made for quite a terrifying spectacle.

No, I have not tried.  Actually, I've been keeping it quiet that David sent them too me! Since I only have the one set I’m going to try them when I am sure I am at my peak.  I’ve been taking off of bending since December, so I’m probably am not at my peak now.   I did do a test bend (just a half inch and then bent it back) of one of the single nails of the same type as the double and it bent very easy.  But two is a totally different animal.   I’m going to send David some straight grade 5 bolts so that he could compare the strength of the two to the strength of the bolt.  The 12” spike I did over my leg (I should have mentioned that, but it’s the only way I know to bend something that long) doesn’t seem to effect the minor injuries that slowed down my bending last year.

Tom & Woody:

Tom, this morning I loaded my Inch replica handle with

75 pounds on one end and tried to lever it up as you are

doing. I have a failure and you have my respect.

Woody, congrats on the frying pan roll-ups (sounds like

a snack treat, doesn't it?). I can only imagine having

that level of finger strength. Even the non-stick surface

type don't help me get past the sticking point...

Question for both of you: After bending a piece of rod into a 'U' shape, how much more difficult is it to try to get the

rod back to straight? 25% harder or what?

Guest woody36

Tom,

Could you please find a link to the type of wrench

you bent,so i could find something similar.

Inspired by your wrench attempt,i just bent a spanner

10mm wide x4mm depth.

I had warped this spanner on a previous occasion,but had

the same problem you had with the springy steel.

ps: This was a cheap spanner!

Guest woody36

Joe, I think rolling frying pans as little to do with finger

strength,it's more of a stunt than a feat (i don't have

strong hands)

Regarding straightening steel,i should do it,but don't.

When i bend something it's normally a personal best for

that particular piece of steel,so i end up keeping them as

trophies,and as i never use a warm up for my bending i

never have spare steel.

Joe,

Try 50 pounds on the Inch replica first, loaded as a “club.”   That might help you get the feel for the lift.  If you can do that and it is very difficult you may also get a better feel for what 70 pounds is like over the head (I did this strict up and over my head, as will be described in the next Log).  In regard to straightening steel, once it is bent into a U they never quite go back to straight.  Usually, they end up in a ½” kink.  I rarely do this, but if you immediately try to bend it back to break it the nail naturally goes back to the “sticking point” with slightly less effort than the original bend.  Depending on the steel, it gets easier and easier and then it breaks.  The difference between each bend, on cold rolled steel for example, is only about 10%.  Thus it drops 10% each time (That’s if you don’t stop, which is hard because strong steel can wear you out).  On the cheap carriage bolts, however, the steel strength drop precipitously, maybe 30% per bend, and I’ve broken them on the second time I pulled them apart.  

Woody,

McMaster Carr is the ultimate in tools on the web.  They list box wrenches, but with no brand name.  Based on the price they are top quality.   I think at this stage I should be looking for the cheaper tools, since I would like to completely bend a wrench and not cost $9.56 a pop like on the McMaster Carr site for the size I bent.  The tag read: “3/8”x7/16” Box End Wrench.”  Searching “Allen wrench” is almost a noise word search on the web, I can’t find their web site.

By the way, McMaster Carr also sells very high quality sledgehammers.  I am told that they are similar to what Slim uses, but I don’t have one to compare.  A knowledgeable friend of mine said that Slim’s hammers looked like “Nevada Hammers,”  but there again, I cannot find reference to this type of hammer anywhere.

Guest woody36

Tom,

Thankyou for the link, what you refer too has a box

wrench,i would call a ring spanner.

And i have no idea what a Nevada hammer is!

Thanks again.