All Bolts Are Not The Same

DAN PRAYDIS

:whacked today after reading all the posts i figured i would bend one last time before i got to deep into kta program . i dug out some grade 5 bolts 6 inches in length wrapped one and put on a good song i hit it hard 3 times hard i thought i felt it start to bend ? no go rolled it on the table and not even a wobble . so i rested up and dug out a red nail wrapped it hit it hard and felt it bend by this time i was to tired to finish it off but what the heck is going on . i got these bolts from a good supplier and they are hard but why should a 1/4 inch bolt be harder than a red nail anyone know :help

I don't have a good answer for you DAN but I know I have some 60d nails that I have not yet bent. I can now bend a 5/16" HRS in short lengths of 4.5 and 4.0 and Grade 5s but can't even slightly kink this one brand of 60s.

These rare bolts and nails don't play by the rules of progression that we have set up for sure. They will be bent though I am sure of that- Just another challenge to keep it fresh and fun. Better yet bend a regular bolt Dan and give the crazy strong one to your son.

If he bends it say:"Yep a chip of the old block".

If he can't say what you can't bend a little Grade 5 "You mean this ole man beats the young gun"

He will probably get a hernia trying to bend that damn thing to save face.:laugh

Just kidding Dan Jr. now you know what pops game is now if you suddenly find yourself stuck on something usually fairly easy for you. You got to admit it could have been funny. Try it on one of your friends, especially if he is real cocky-everyone needs a little humility sometimes. ;)

Its a little more rare in the graded bolts I think. 60d's vary like crazy cause there is no standard, other than a head and a point :) Most of your G5 and G8's are pretty consistent. G2 vary alot cause they're like 60ds, just a head and some threads. For the most part though, most 60ds I have found are hard, no good to make nails that bend too easy, when most people use 60d's for nailing big timber that is.

Interesting post Dan, I'd really be interested in hearing more from people who have done Reds and Graded Bolts for comparison, I know the G8 I bent the other night floored me, and I can't imagine a 7" X 5/16 CRS being"much" harder? Although the stuff I got from John Beatty must be made from some secret unbendable substance he calls Steel.

The more I try harder stock the more I'm impressed with people who bend this stuff. :bow