Aggrivated Elbow

foggymountainmuscle

The day before yesterday I was doing some bending. I put some kinks into two pieces that I never got. I always back away once I know the steel won't yield because I don't want to get injured. I had some minor left elbow and wrist pain, reaccuring injuries that don't usually flare up. I gave it a contrast bath and it was fine. Yesterday I was doing some lower body stuff. I think loading and unloading the 100lbs. plates aggrivated the injury... it felt worse than it did the day before. Now here is today, I can feel a mild pain while not doing anything, something pretty rare. I did some light work to act as active recovery, which amoung thins included bending an easy nail, which turned out not to be so easy! I've done a few contrast baths, I'm icing it and the pain is not going away. The icing and heating seem to make it feel worse, it seems all I'm getting is pain, pain, pain. I have never had that happen before. I need some new ideas and I need help!

I recently developed some tendonitis in my right elbow which has put my bending on hold for a bit. I talked to the athletic trainer on campus and she said the best thing to do for it is to rest it. I asked her what if I don't want to rest it and she said the best thing to do would be to use anti-inflammatories and to ice it, but to expect a long recovery. Naproxin Sodium works best for me and those IcyHot patches seem to help as well. Good luck.

I have what sounds like the same thing now. I've not bent since Monday and it hurts when I do regular lifts. I put ice on it for a while, then at night I load it up with Tiger Balm. so Far every day is better, I'm not going to bend again until Sun. Take some rest "hard I know". keep the Ice on it. Good Luck.

Okay it feels much better now. This injury is in the process of healing, but in the past I have been problem free for weeks. The reason I was so worried because it hurt bad and I have a strongman performance comming up, one week from now. I hope this is enough short term recovery time.

Okay it feels much better now.  This injury is in the process of healing, but in the past I have been problem free for weeks.  The reason I was so worried because it hurt bad and I have a strongman performance comming up, one week from now.  I hope this is enough short term recovery time.

go get an elbow support made of stretch band in side near your elbow put one of those 50 cent hothands from wallmart they last for 10 hours use it while you lift and leave it on afterwards it will keep your elbow warmed up i use them whenever i feel a pain coming on :upsidedwn

Foggy one tip on icing which has been circulating on the net for a while has really helped my elbow tendonitis:

Take a styrofoam cup and fill it 3/4 full and freeze it. Then rip the cup down so the ice is exposed and use this to directly apply the ice directly to the area for 5 mins. Try to get 3 sessions in a day.

I went the whole physio route -ultrasound etc. didn't help as much as the direct ice did. In the past I always used some kind of protection(towel or some kindof wrap) for the ice -and had no luck with it. Direct exposure was the key for me.

Jon@han

Icing never really helped me (if not done with contrast baths).

Heat, however, always does. What I do is take a heating pad/bottle et al, and heat the area up progressivly, until it almost burns. I do this for about 30-60 minutes, and a couple of times a day. You should work up a sweat doing this, as it would be so hot that your whole body temperature rises, even though it's only a limited area that is being heated up.

Also good to do before you workout, which should also include maximizing blood flow to the area.

I've just recently done this with a back injury, which I thought would be much worse than it has been, so it really works wonders.

I get tendonitits flare-ups from time to time and have had for about 18 years, what works very well for me is Ibuprofen taken 2-3x daily, along with tricep-ext performed 1-armed - with very light weight 15-20lbs for about 20 reps x2-3 sets--2-3x daily...This goes against common logic and everything I learned in school (I work as a therapist assistant in a hosp). However it works very effectively for some people, this tech was taught to me by John Ware (held record for big 3 total at 1 time)...Anyhow the ibuprofen helps with inflamation and the tri ext increases blood flow to the area which in some folks speeds up healing, in other people it only increases pain and inflamation and I will say it again, it dont work for everyone...........I also do 4-5 sets of warm-ups before bench press, OH, tri specific te......Give it a try and let me know if it helps.........Brett

Alright guys here's what I have been doing. I've been resting up over Easter break and I really think I'm getting better. Down at school I did alot of contrast baths and just nagual, I could get myself to inches away from burning my skin. Indirect ice exposure doesn't do much for me, but a thin plastic bag doesn't seem to insulate much. Tricept extensions and shot rotation have been my active rehab. The main thing I have been doing is putting on icy hot over the problem areas. I run my arm under cold water after I'm done in the shower (REALLY cold). I have not taken any anti inflamitories, because I do not like to reduce the inflamitory response, I want it to really heal.

Here's my game plan. I was planing on taking some Naproxin Sodium an hour before the performance and make sure I have a good warmup right before, but I was wondering, should I have a few doses of Naproxin Sodium under my belt? I think I'm good to go but I also think it's nieve to put the breaks on the inflamitory response one hour before show time after a whole week.

Can elbow pain be avoided by better bending technique or is it just part of the trade?

My elbow pain was bad enough to f*&% up my lifting. That sucks because I love to do both!

Mike,

I have a weak right elbow which means that I know that if I put some big stress on it like a contest or just a meeting it WILL hurt the next days.

So what to do?

What I tried twice and what helped me twice was the following:

I simply took 2 Ibus about 1 hour before the contest or meeting.

Thats all.

Either no pain or just a slight irritation the next day.

Hope that helps.

I found that the same thing that works for kerbjr works for me. I do some light one arm tricep extensions, 3 sets of 15 or so reps. I first used it when I was a gymnast and got some pretty bad tendonitis, and found it works really well now. Whenever I feel a twing start happening I do it for about a week and it goes away before it gets worse.