Threaded Steel

jarow

At Home Depot, while they do have regular round and square steel, they have even more threaded steel. Has anyone ever tried to bend this stuff?

I'm assuming it would be easier than the same diameter smooth stock, but how much?

At Home Depot, while they do have regular round and square steel, they have even more threaded steel.    Has anyone ever tried to bend this stuff?

I'm assuming it would be easier than the same diameter smooth stock, but how much?

jarow here is a great resource on a fellow members website in this yield strength list there is some threaded steel pieces for you to look at. Check out the rest of his site it has some useful information on both grippers and bending even looping demonstration clip of double over-hand (Hammer Man Style), double under-hand (Spike Bending Style) and verticle style.

http://home.insight.rr.com/strongman/bending.html

click the little white page for Yield Strengths : left page is sorted by lengths

right page is sorted by progressive yeild strengths

Another thing I have been meaning to mention. Get out of that Home Depot and find a local steel supplier. You are paying probably 3 to 4 times for those small lengths as you would from a steel or welding supply store for 4 times as much steel. I buy my steel from Alaska Steel here in Fairbanks and everything is more expensive here than in the lower 48 and I still get like a 20 foot length (cut to 4 5 foots pieces for easy transport) of say 1/4" CRS-cold rolled steel what all the ironmind nails are made of for like 3 bucks and some change max. If you going to bend volume you need to check this option out. Plus you can get HRS hot rolled steel that will be in between the different CRS stocks both round and square some even carry the diagonal stock but it is harder to come by.

Take Care My Friend

Thanks a ton for the tip. I picked up some stuff from a local steel supplier today: got 36' x 3/16" round CRS, 24' x 3/16" square CRS, 24' x 1/4" round CRS, and 12' x 1/4" square CRS (for sometime in the future)...and it was all just $18. I probably would've had to pay $100 or something for that much from Home Depot.

Thanks a ton for the tip.  I picked up some stuff from a local steel supplier today:  got 36' x 3/16" round CRS, 24' x 3/16" square CRS, 24' x 1/4" round CRS, and 12' x 1/4" square CRS (for sometime in the future)...and it was all just $18.  I probably would've had to pay $100 or something for that much from Home Depot.

Super! now you have enough steel to bend for a week or so -Ha Ha :laugh

Sounds like you got all the right stuff for some progressive bending of course you already know the lengths for the Ironmind Nails of CRS like a 7" x 1/4" is equal to Yellow , 6"x 1/4" is equal to a Blue and a 7"x 5/16th is basically a Red Nail. Now steel can vary to some degree but for the most part your steel supplier bought stock cut into thos lengths will equal to the same diameter IM Nails which are the just cut lengths of steel stock and not actual nails at all. If you are bending all the CRS 5/16" stuff fast and furiously then maybe you would want to invest in the IM Red Nails and an IM Bending Wrap or Pad because you could be very close to certifying on the Red Nail and as the rules state you can only use the IM wrap which is a thin slippery cordura material . In the mean time don't waste your money on a IM Bag O Nails because as you see you can buy allot of steel locally for that IM price.

One last thing that 1/4" CRS Square is a whole different animal. In fact I can bend HRS 5/16" down to 4.5" and 4" lengths and Grade 5 bolts but can barely kink that 1/4" CRS Square so it is an animal. I have heard one person say that they had some and it was harder than the actual Red Nail 5/16" CRS, I have heard others say that it is a good transition from the bolts to the Red. Not to scare you but I bite off more than I could chew of that same stock and being hell bent on well bending the hell out of it at all costs ended up hurts my left wrist pretty bad, when I hear a little pop in the left wrist I still kept going absolutely idiotic I admit. So for the last two weeks neither my hands or the steel have seen any action. :(

"There is a difference between pushing yourself to the edge and getting shoved off by an out off control ego" :pinch

GatorGrip

Edited by GatorGrip

handgripperman just hurt his thumb bending a long bar of threaded steel. He said he kinked it to 90 easily enough and then braced one end on his chest while he pulled on the other end with both hands. The steel broke and before he could stop his hands, he smashed his thumb knuckle on the threaded bar. I saw the pic on his webcam and it ain't pretty. But he recovers pretty dang quickly from just about anything, so I imagine he's at full strength already.

Hopefully this will be enough to last me for quite some time...I got 60 60D timber ties too. Today's workout for me is just getting all this stuff cut down to size :ohmy

I didn't even bother getting any 5/16" yet because I think it will be a while before I'll have built up enough base strength and technique to start moving on to stuff like that. If the 1/4" square CRS is harder than even 5/16" round, then I definitely won't be hitting it for a while - wasn't really planning on it anyway. It looks like it'll be a beast, but eventually I will slay that dragon and destroy the stuff!

My mom looked at me really funny when I walked in the door today with my hand full of steel. Between bending, kettlebells, and grippers, I've gotten into some pretty obscure things at this point - at least from the point of view of people who don't do strength training or anything. I think she's glad I'm going back up to school this weekend when spring break ends. :)

I was kind of worried about threaded stuff breaking too easily, and in the end I didn't get any of it now that I've found this new and cheaper source...so at least I'll avoid that way of getting injured.