Hitting another goal!

Rick Walker

I hit another goal of mine tonight.  I finally pinched 2-35s.  Left hand I held them for about 4 seconds.  The right I pinched and cleared the ground-maybe for 2 seconds or less-but it still came off the ground!

Both thumbs are pretty tore up at the base.  But, I figure they will toughen up eventually.

Finished with pliers, plate-wrist curl (25-8s), and soft ball hold.

Rick Walker :hehe

Good job Rick ! Have you fully deadlifted the plates ? Pinching 2 35's plates was a great step for me too. I'm now doing farmer's walk (not a long walk) with 2 35's and I hope to pinch 2 45's in june or close.

Once again, congratulations  :D

Thanks guys.  Tou-I fully deadlifted them with my left hand, but I think I was a little short with the right.  They just slipped out and crashed to the floor but I was stoked that I even cleared the floor with them.

Does anyone else notice that the edges of the plates really tear up your skin?  Or is that just my "girly"  ??? hands!

Look forward to getting the 2-45s by Jan 2003.

Rick Walker :hehe

My hands are rough but I still tear my skin on the edge of the plates when I do pinch. Maybe that little hands are a factor here. If I want a solid hold on the 2 35's, I have to put ALL the fingers' surface on the plates. So, the skin between the thumb and the index is always fully stretched and ... it always rip. But hey, you can't pinch without losing some skin. Resisting to the pain is one of the first thing to learn for a grip trainer.

David Horne mentionned in an old post that he sometimes places a towel over the plates when he performs plates pinching. It surely can help for the skin tearing but it adds a lot of difficulty to the lift. Maybe that placing a thin rubber sheet over the pinching surface would prevent skin tearing but, in order to be honest with yourself, no other equipement but chalk is allowed on the pinch.

Train hard and deal with the pain.

Guest danreeves

Has anyone tried pinching those galvanized looking plates you can commonly buy at Wal-MArt or Academy? They're sort of a grey/silver color and the finish on them seems very slick. I tried pinching 3 10's at the gym where I lift, was no problem. Tried three of the galvanized plate and it seemed way harder to hang on to them.

In the box at Wal Mart, they are very slippy becuase there is a little bit of oil between them to prevent finish scraping. I pinched two 35 and it was way more difficult than York plates. Those discs are cheap and I might get some to train at home. If I do, I'll scrape the silver finish to have a rough surface.