Bracing

jomcgui

Tonight I bent a yellow for the first time. Nevfer was even close before yesterday. Used a baseballl style grip at about waist level to kink the yellow about 20 degrees.finished it off with a double overhand. Now I think I braced my hand on hips or leg. Is this allowed? reading the ironmind rules it seems it would be okay as long as the nail is not braced by itself against another body part.

If you are talking about IM cert, I don't believe that would pass. The hands aren't to touch anything other than the chest. Are you talking about when you kinked it with "the baseball grip"?

Yes I think I may have braced a little agaist the thigh with the bottom of the fist. But on a double overhandtouching the chest with hands on chest area is okay?

I doesn't matter because you got stronger. Just keep at it and you'll be killin yellows like coathangers.

Worry about rules when your bending Reds and Barstard stock.

-HH

I doesn't matter because you got stronger.  Just keep at it and you'll be killin yellows like coathangers.

Worry about rules when your bending Reds and Barstard stock.

-HH

HAMMERHEAD,

Great post!

Congrats jomcgui on the warping of that Yellow Coward of a Nail. I agree with my bender brother HAMMERHEAD. Technique is constantly being tweaked until you get comfortable in conquering your bending material. Just keep experimenting with your styles DO - DU or whatever feels right for you. It's easy to get caught up in the paper race for a certification but that will come when you decide that’s a goal you want to achieve if not don't worry. The paper will soon fade and the loose its luster but you'll still be amusing yourself, family and friends with your feats of strength. I mean this whole niche of strength training really is the pursuit of the ultimate show off and that’s one of the many facets that make it so fun.

So go have fun and keep working towards your ultimate show off!

Alright, figured i'd ask. This board definitly helps. Besides the new grip, wrapping in leather and nylon also helped, thanks to some posts I read earlier.

When I'm at a piece I can't bend with my normal style I also brace a hand on my thigh and then kink it over my thumb, usually then I can finish it normal style, so I think, while it may not pass as a cert it definately helps on the climb and should be used.

It sux when one cannot bend something even when one is using bracing methods.. :cry:angry: