Poor Show

Lyle

on Friday I went to buy a dozen more G5's and upon leaving the store I met two of my work buddies in the Ambulance, they of course asked what the bolts were for so I told them about wrapping them and bending them, lo and behold they wanted a demo, so they get me this old hospital towel which has been bleached to death. I wrapped the best I could and proceeded with a max effort, then the freakin' bolt rips through the towel like butter and does everything but puncture my hand.

now I'm pissed so I rewrap and try again "same result", after about 4 more tries "I learn Fast" the bolt is bent about 30' and I'm played out the towel is wrecked and these guys are still impressed with a 30' bend. weird

If only I would've had proper pads.

That's just a classic case of Murphy's Law, but being friends and apparently intelligent chaps since they didn't see the need to bend a perfectly good bolt (like we do) they surely realized the towel was the limiting factor. Good for you for your efforts and since these guys work with you was this the very first time they saw you bend something? Well don't worry you will get another chance next time with appropriate wraps and they'll probably say something like "Oh we knew you could do it Lyle it was just that damn ragged towel, we never doubted you" whether they did or not they'll never tell. :blush

I did something very similar with one of my civilians counselors; no I didn't wrap him up in a towel and try to bend him. :laugh I have only told him of my bending addiction and showed him one day with a 60d in my office but I only had dish towel and something that should have been over in 30 seconds or less ended up taking almost two minutes because the nail point kept poking through the towel into my hand. The grace of God was with me and the fear of embarrassment so finally warped it into a U and threw it to him. I almost lost enough cool points I could have bankrupted my ego. :yikes

Edited by GatorGrip

Lyle,

Interesting story.  Nice bend for the situation.

Iam curious did either of the guys ask to try

to bend the bolts?

yeah they both tried but didn't do anything with it, I find most people who don't lift or bend really don't know how to mentally push themselves, they seem to always give up too easily.

LUCKY YOU DIDN'T RUN THAT THING RIGHT THROUGH YOUR HAND DAMAGING YOUR NERVE AND TENDON IN YOUR HAND THAT FORCE IS HARD TO STOP WHEN YOU ARE INTO A BEND YOU SAW MY HAND WHEN MY WRAP TORE IT STUCK IN 1/2 INCH :cry

First time I went to buy bolts, I told the guys what I used them for. They wanted a demo too, and I had to use a slick washcloth as a single wrap. Every time I go to the store now, I bring my proper wraps just in case. Live and learn!

yeah they both tried but didn't do anything with it, I find most people who don't lift or bend really don't know how to mentally push themselves, they seem to always give up too easily.

I notice lots of untrained people have their inverse stretch reflex kick in rather easily. (That's the reflex that makes you go completely limp in the middle of an intense effort that you body feels could be potentially damaging.) I imagine most of us here wished ours would have kicked in before one of our not uncommon minor bending injuries.

First time I went to buy bolts, I told the guys what I used them for.  They wanted a demo too, and I had to use a slick washcloth as a single wrap. Every time I go to the store now, I bring my proper wraps just in case.  Live and learn!

Haha, you're ready for anything and anyone. :laugh