How Much Is The Last Part Of The #3?

Dude

How much would you say is left in the last 1/2 of the #3? Like roughly how many pounds of the gripper are in this last bit, or the difficulty in this last 1/2 inch? That's what I can get it to but that last part seems like a big hurdle to overcome.

I have no idea of what the poundage is. But the last part is the part where most people have their trouble. Otherwise we wouldn't routinely see people sweep a #3 to parallel and then hit a brick wall.

I would say the majority of the difficulty comes in the last 1/2" or so on the #3. As with almost every other gripper on the planet.

Put it in a choker and demystify the close. That's worth repeating to yourself. Many times. Put it in a choker and work on closing it from parallel handles. Then go on to wider attempts. First beat the close. Then you've begun to beat the gripper.

Even if you put it in a choker and cheat it closed with the other hand, fight for a negative just to feel the pressure it exerts against the hand. And enjoy the pain. It will be your friend when others come and go. :shifty

• Like 1

I believe that last 1/2 inch is refered to as the hard part. :laugh

From what I have read on the net every quarter inch on the 3 is equal to about 25 pounds. Assuming a 3 that closes at 280 pounds.

The resistance is on a progressive curve. As we get closer to closing it the harder it is doe to the compression of the spring. So the last 1 /4 "

is way harder than say the first 1/4".

Yea I remember when I first got it I choked it down to parallel. Couldn't move it, the thing felt like a freaking piece of pavement. But that was when I could do the #2 for 1 and now I can get an easy 10.

I think if I had a more powerful sweep I could get even closer. How do you guys work on the intensity of sweep, just overcrushes and being intense when doing the gripper?

Also, I see sometimes people use those large washers to choke the grippers down. Can you tell me what size those are? Or what the diameter on the inside they are? Thanks.

Hi Dude.

I/2 inch to close is 1/16 of inch each weeks= 8 weeks or less.

Providing you are doing partial negative with the the next gripper up.

Use thumb ruler and make down 1/16 at a time. Its very easy to make.

Use bandaid and make 1/16 at a time. Its a plan without a plan you get confused and wasting time and this way you can measure your progress.

I think if I had a more powerful sweep I could get even closer. How do you guys work on the intensity of sweep, just overcrushes and being intense when doing the gripper?

The sweep is the beginning of the gripper movement NOT the end.

You work on it by doing no sets, TNS's and cheat closes fighting it out all the way... things like that.

Yea I figured a fast and hard sweep would help "jump" past the last bit to full shut. I tried Brookfield's "Gripper On A String" workout and man thats hard, if someone could do that with a #3 then they have some remarkable "grab and grip" strength as I would dub it.

Yea I figured a fast and hard sweep would help "jump" past the last bit to full shut.

Try working with a gripper that's hard BUT you can either close with some difficulty or come close to closing.

Then, cheat it shut and hold it for as long as possible. As the gripper starts to open up again DON'T LET IT... fight it out, actually, fight to try to close it again! Fight it!! :angry: Once you can't and it opens up again fully - switch hands and work the other hand. :D

Just keep doing negatives with something above what you are training for, and your progression will take place faster than you expected. Granted I haven't touched my #2 in awhile but I am now on 278lbs on the Ivanko. The last time I squeezed the #2 it was with complete ease; I am waiting till I hit 300lbs on the Ivanko before I try my #3 again as well as my HG300.

Is there a gripper that fits between a PDA262 and a IM#3? How about the .275 BB SuperMaster?

Is there a gripper that fits between a PDA262 and a IM#3? How about the .275 BB SuperMaster?

That will work.

T!

How much would you say is left in the last 1/2 of the #3? Like roughly how many pounds of the gripper are in this last bit, or the difficulty in this last 1/2 inch? That's what I can get it to but that last part seems like a big hurdle to overcome.

ALL.....

Yea I figured a fast and hard sweep would help "jump" past the last bit to full shut. I tried Brookfield's "Gripper On A String" workout and man thats hard, if someone could do that with a #3 then they have some remarkable "grab and grip" strength as I would dub it.

Dude

Sybersnot's advice really helped me. Just go for it now.

This may sound strange, but don't take the #3 so seriously- in your mind. Ten reps with a #2, I think, is enough to just get the #3 over with and move on down the road. Go there. Someone had a thread about waiting 3-5 minutes between sets of intensity, and I think it makes a big difference too.

tspinillo

Much thanks for the advice, but last night I got angry and decided to just squeeze the thing within a hairs breath of salvation (steadied), before pushing back to @half a cm. There can be no going back.

Much thanks for the advice, but last night I got angry and decided to just squeeze the thing within a hairs breath of salvation (steadied)...

Anger, when properly channeled, can be of great benefit. Especially on the grippers.

Remember this: the gripper is NOT YOUR FRIEND. It doesn't care whether or not you can close it. And it doesn't care whether or not you get stronger (or weaker).

Some of the best gripper workouts I've ever had came from the fact I wanted to kill the gripper. I would chest crush it, two-hand negative close it, cheat it shut using whatever method I could find and then muster all my power to try to keep it closed or near closed as possible.

DON'T WORK WITH A GRIPPER YOU CAN MASTER. Work with one that is slightly beyond your mastery. Throw everything into trying to close it!

And one more thing... don't worry about undue pressure on your hands. That's what you want. You WANT that incredible pressure on your hands! :ohmy

O.K., class is over. :D

Hell yes. That is all I needed to hear.

Glad I can be of some service! Anything else, don't be afraid to ask - that's why we're here!! :D

Here's another tip I'm sure is mentioned elsewhere on the board.

When you are getting to that last inch or less, try cheat (chest) closing the gripper and holding it shut with just enough pressure/help from the other hand.

Gauge this by letting the gripper open just slightly, and adjust. Do this as often as you can to make sure you are not helping too much with the other hand. This should result in a series of "mini-clicks".

Do this for as long as you find productive, usually within the 10-20 second range.

I find that this is a great complement to regular negatives, and a good morale booster (it's almost as if you have closed the gripper already :D ).

You can get a good idea about how much extra force is necessary to close a gripper for a given "last handle spread increment", say 1/2", by estimating:

1) f1 = force to close using a hypothetical " target" spread, say 3.1" for the #3

2) f2 = force to close using a handle spread of 2.6"

3) subtracting: deltaF = f1 - f2

Torsion spring theory says FTC is approximately proportional to sweep angle (and thus handle spread), so we should expect deltaF to be approximately constant.

For the CoC#3, assume hypothetical values for the gripper parameters to be:

Handle spread = 3.1"

Depth (handle "set" along wire leg from coil center) = .74"

Handle length = 3.75"

Handle diameter = .75"

Wire diameter = .283"

Coil inside diameter = .9"

These assumed values give an approximate FTC of ~ 285lbs, which is what we know as the CoC target. The above parameters are only reasonably assumed and close to actual measured values on a #3 I once owned. I do not know exactly what the manufacturing values are. However, the above values are close enough for the following experiment.

I ran the numbers and got the following values, keeping all the parameters constant except handle spread:

Handle Spread FTC deltaF

3.1" 285

2.6" 235 50

2.1" 188 47

1.6" 141 47

1.1" 96 45

0.6" 52 44

The deltaF values are nearly constant and supports theory.

So, to give my opinion for an answer to Dude:

The last 1/2" might require you to develop your crushing strength by another 50lbs at the crushing angle of your hand for this stage. This is almost the same as crushing the first 1/2" on a 3.1" spread gripper, HOWEVER that extra 50lbs will feel like a ton since you are starting at 235lbs! Also, hand angles between bones are different for starting and finsishing stages, so a "feel test" might be deceptive. Recall, perhaps, how hard it was to get that extra 50lbs bench press from an already tough current max.

To conpensanate the force variance potential energy is great at the 1/2 and creating by pi x force=potentenial spike. To create a spike potential similiar to defeat the last 1/2. potential evergy +5 x potentail energy of 30 pounds.

5/30x1/1=6 times the force necessary to defeat the last 1/2. however decrease or deflect the energy spike with another small force of 5 pounds then minus30-5=25

Defecting the potentail envergy with another potentail creating a negative spike of the potentail of the #3 gripper.

Huh? whatever that means. I just know that it's harder. Crunch all the numbers you want, in the end either you can close it or you can't.

my .02

Huh? whatever that means. I just know that it's harder. Crunch all the numbers you want, in the end either you can close it or you can't.

my .02

Iam close I can do the BBSM which is modified with the J.A.G on that is a poundage of 255+7=262 pounders, slowly increase the wieght over time little by little. 262 pound force minus 280=18 pound left to go. Simple math.