Reverse Curls And Rectangular Fixes

austinslater

Is anyone doing much of either one of these lifts? If so what are some of your prs, training tips etc. Ive been doing reverse curls for a couple of wks as I got bored with hammer curls and Im planning on making the switch to the rectangular fix with a 2" bar and working up to a max. This is a great lift for guys looking to keep some balance when pushing crush for example. Looking forward to your thoughts . . .

Austin

I don't understand what you mean by rectangular fix Austin. What is it and what muscles does it hit?

Also if you get tired with normal hammer curls you can try:

thick dumbell hammer curls

preacher bench hammer curls

incline bench hammer curls

one arm EZ bar hammer curls (this is a killer)

kettlebell hammer curls

plate hammer curls

odd shape hammer curls

the rectangular fix as I understand it is basicly a reverse curl but you only curl up to 90 degrees and pause for 1-2 seconds before lowering it. Its an oldtime strongman lift. Hope this helps!

Sounds like a good exercise for armwrestling!

Austin, I've done both in the past. I have recently started messing around with the Apollon's Axle reverse curl again. I did 103X1 yesterday. That's about the same as with an Olympic bar for me (105X1). I'm weak. But if I can stick to it for a little while I'm sure it would go up a bit. I really enjoy the feel of them I just tend to drift away from them because they take time that could be spent eating ice cream. :D

The best 2" bar rectangular fix I've done was 81 pounds about a year and a half ago in a USAWA Record Day contest. My best on an Olympic bar is 95.

I know you've performed these in the recent past, what are you capable of now?

Hi Austin,

Reverse curl with a thick bar is an excellent exercise for the grip and forearms , try it with thumbs around and thumbs off .You get a different workout.

My best with 2 inch bar is 70 kg , 154 lbs and on an olympic bar 165 lbs.

Austin,

I did reverse curls for about two years, I learnt of them from Bruce Lee's training book. He advocates the 2 second pause on the way up and the way down, inhale on the upward, exhale on the downward etc. What he also said was that you should maintain a very light weight to condition the muscles as this type of exercise can really cramp you up (personal experience).

I did these in combination with Zottoman curls and would recommend anyone to do this combo as a way of seriously putting weight and strength on the top of their forearms.

Digz./