Overtraining

Guest omniexist

When the progressive part of progressive weight training

(or grip work) stops, you have either reached your

ultimate potential of have become stale. If regression

happens, you are overtraining.

I must have reached my potential, sad, lonely, plateau

that it is...

Doing too much and too frequently.  This is my definition - it seems that lots of people want to "do it all" in four or more grip workouts per week!  

Roark is correct.  If you are regressing, then you are overtraining.  You must be making positive gains through a series of workouts, and change workouts when the gains cease to happen.

I say - two workouts per week.  One light and one heavy.

There is one other way to tell if you are overtraining ... pain. Usually if you persist in your overtraining at some point something will begin to hurt to such an extent that further training is no longer an option. For me it was my radial nerve. This painful condition required a full three months to clear up. Be smarter than I was, listen to the advice outlined above. Snott is right.

-Mike M.

Guest kINGPIN

In weight training an easy way it to record daily your resting heart rate when you wake up and if it is higher then normal then the chances are that you are overtraining.  I cannot imagine that something as small as the hands have the same effect so I would use lack of progression as the main indicator aswell as pain although the 2nd can be linked to bad form and other such variables.