Levering With A Nail?

MeatPlow

Has anyone tried to rig something up so one could lever with something more close to the size of the stock that one will be bending with? Like a nail or stock, or maybe even all thread? Would there be any benefit to this over a thicker handled object like a sledge? I know this may sound crazy but I was just thinking about it. Maybe a Weaver Nail lift?!!!

yes i tried this and the smaller stuff is easier to hold a grip on but hurts your hand more so i switched back to a sledge hammer or a broom stick harder to grip but you can do more lifts without pain

Dan,

Was the pain the same level of pain one feels while doing a max bend? How long did you do this?

no bending a nail i have no pain unless i do a lot of volume becauls i use wraps but if what your getting at is if you train leavering with small stuff and can stand the pain you will do a lot better at nail yes you will get better at it along with doing regular bends :D ps i did this for a couple weeks until i got a sledge i used all thread with weights

I think I seen this idea first on Benders website, no pictures but he did mention attaching an eyebolt to a pin or chain with weights added. He was basically saying that at the small nail like diameter of the bolt of course makes it much harder to grasp but could help both strengthen and toughen the hands for bending.

My suggestion on this would be wither buy a 5/16" or even a bit larger diameter bolt at a long length and cut the threaded section off. I purchased some 1/4" fully threaded carriage bolts early in my bending and found they were little to no challenge with wraps on so I started finishing a bending session with bending one bare-handed to toughen the skin and basically get rid of them. Again their not to much challenge as far as yield strength goes but they do require a little re-adjusting and mental discipline or stupidity what ever you want to call it to get past the pain imposed on your paws to bend them.

You need to keep in mind that when bending your hands are around the wraps that usualy are around 1inch to 1.5inches thick, so you really aren't gripping something as small as a nail. Try levering with a 1inch pipe.

You need to keep in mind that when bending your  hands are around the wraps that usualy are around 1inch to 1.5inches  thick, so you really aren't gripping something as small as a nail.  Try levering with a 1inch pipe.

Patrick that was a good insight to the obvious that I wasn't even considering. Sharp eye and keen common sense on this post for sure.

So a 1" pipe or you could really go for the realism effect and actually wrap your eyebolt with the same thickness of wrap you normally use to bend. To keep the wrap on you would have to secure it good with something like claps on the very ends with enough space to give you the normal length you use in bending. Even though it may slip, of course that can and does happen often in bending but of course you just grip tighter to keep the nail from moving around. Either way this could add a different dimension to your training and variety is the key to keeping it interesting and experimenting with things makes it all the more fun. :)

Check out :

http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/shenandoah/Grunt/Grippage.html

The leverage machine shown could be rigged up with some kinda eyebolt. For extra realism wrap the eyebolt like you would a nail.

good page martin a lot of good stuff :D

I've slid a carriage bolt through the hole at the top of IM's loading pin to help with my bending, I just hold the bolt parallel to the ground and lift, i feel its helped some. JMO - Kevin

You need to keep in mind that when bending your  hands are around the wraps that usualy are around 1inch to 1.5inches  thick, so you really aren't gripping something as small as a nail.  Try levering with a 1inch pipe.

my thoughts exactly.

I used a 5/16" eye bolt for a while. Loaded up about 30 pounds and did very-small-range-of-motion levering. I liked it, and I still think it's a good technqiue. But, at the same time, you should probably just be bending.

I have also wrapped the nail with two wraps of a wash-cloth. The point is to toughen the hands, so over padding defeats the point, while under-padding is only viable with light weights. Unless you like bone brusies. I personaly, do not.