Breaking A File

foggymountainmuscle

I have a strongman performance coming up and one of my stunts I will attempt to break a file. I say attempt because I have not done it before and I'm not going to spend an extra 10 bucks on a test run when I'm sure I'll be able to get it anyway. After hearing about Rick Walker's experience with file breaking a long time ago I was wondering if any of you have any tips for ensuring my safety and the safety of the crowd. What is a sufficient cover for the center of the file so no metal filemints fly out? When the thing snaps what should I do to make sure I don'tinjury myself from the great drop in resistance? I'm pretty excited about this and I can't wait to see the crowd's reaction to a gunshot snap when this baby goes!

EXPLODE all over that sucker!! Maybe you should wrap it to avoid flying debris?

Foggy, a word of advice, no strongman would ever attempt a feat for the first time in front of an audience. You just don't know what might happen.

As far as the file goes, I would use good leather and wrap both ends where there is little if any exposed in the middle. That should protect you from flying pieces or jagged edges. Are you planning to bend it across your thigh like you did the spike?

hey foggy this is a tricky stunt a file can break in a sliver just like a sharp razor or flat with no sharp pieces the only thing that comes to mind is go to a hydraulic hose place that makes or repairs hoses they sell a nylon sleeve that protects the hose it is like nylon and will stop any flying and sharp slivers good luck in you show :flame

I would definetly wear some eye protection (glasses or googles) because with one sliver to the eye and the show will be over and all those watching will associate our strength hobby with danger, thus giving it bad PR. The worst of it will be the injury to your eye that could be catostrophic. I being an EMT since 94 and doing my OJT at the Baltimore Shock Trauma Center I have seen more eye injuries that could have been prevented than those freak accidents by far. Protect yourself and protect your audience by having a safe distance between your stunt and them. I have to agree with MikeP I would never want to try a stunt without at least trying one practice run, plus do you know what specific brand and type file your going to use.

At a minimum you could lose face if you accidently got a hold of some super file that just doesn't yield to your strength. Worse would be the possible injury.

I would say good luck but there is no such thing as magic luck.

The real definition of LUCK is when preparation meets opportunity!

I broke a file in the workshop once by hitting it against an anvil. The effect is pretty much like what happens when a large carbon steel knife or sword blade is broken. You get some very sharp edges along the breakand possibly fragments. I would suggest the entire file is wrapped in something so that you don't get cut up. And like Gator just said, wear eye protection!

If at all possible please get someone to video this :)

Edited by Martin

From a paramedic and an old shop student, I'd:

Wrap the entire thing

Wear eye protection

Possibly work at a right angle to the crowd (side view)

DO a trial run and make sure you can make it happen without something bad.

Good luck, get some video and post it.

I did plan on wrapping the whole thing but I was more wondering what would be enough. I was going to bend it across my shin, I do not want to bend it across my thigh; in fact this metal is not going to come in direct contact with anything but some good leather wrapping. The file is a 10" flat Mill File single cut bastard. Now I know I shouldn't be doing something new on the stage, but I am confident I can bust this thing. I know this is a dicy stunt but I want to take great measures to insure the safety of everyone watching.

Well use that foggymountainmuscle and bust that tool so it can go into file 13 aka: (The Trash Can). I couldn't resist the play on words. Hopefully you will be able to get some video of pics of this cool sounding show of strength.

I would still use the eye protection, besides if you play up the need to wear eye protection it will make it seem a little more dangerous and serious. Plus if anybody especially younger viewers see this and go home to try it (because if you say don't try this at home-this is like an invitation or challenge for them to try it no matter how dangerous it seems) maybe they will wear the eye protection because that was part of the act.

People love serious danger as long as they are not the one in it! I think it is a throw back from the days of watching gladiators hack it other down, like seeing a battle to the death or war of flesh without having to be the one feeling the blade or file that file could work to. :)

Well we are rooting for you and got our fingers crosses that all goes well. :D

• 5 weeks later...

Just curious, Foggy, how did your strongman show go?

Mike