Wrist pain

Jett

Ive been interested in general strength for a little over a year now. I first started with high school gymanastics and for a while now have been interested in weight lifting. Gymnastics is gonna start again soon and I wanted to learn about working my forearms towards an iron cross when I came across this page.

My question is about my wrists. Gymnastics, weight training and grip training can really take a toll on your wrists of course, but, Im worried about what the long term effects could be. Most of the time my wrists dont hurt that much but sometimes after a workout they sometimes bother me. Im just wondering if this is normal. Should I try to lay off or try not putting much force on them, or possibly wrap them or use some sort of support for them while working out? Any advice would be great.

... Great forum, Ive read a lot of the posts here and I am looking forward to a good vice grip. Gettin my COC Trainer tommorow, :D.

I don't know as much as most of the guys on this board (they make me look like I've got wet noodle hands), but here's my list for wrists: plate curls, levering (front & back), wrist roller & maybe holding something vertical and turning 90 degrees either way. The most important thing though is to train hands/forearms just as seriously as someone else would train bench press or squats, etc.

Have you talked to your school's doctor about your condition?  Ask somebody about it, and if it really bothers you, go see a doctor.

You might be putting undue strain from your workouts, and that's why it bothers you after your workouts.  Pain is NOT natural (duh), and is a warning indicator that something is wrong.  PLEASE.... have it checked out.  It might be nothing serious.... then again, it could be something.

I'M NOT A DOCTOR - but if I were to take a guess from what you describe, I would say wrist strain.  Take it easy for a few days.  Rest can do wonders!!  :)

Guest kINGPIN

SOunds to me like overtraining in the wrist area.  If you do gymnastics, weights and grip work then that is a lot of stresss on the wrists.

Lets as that you;

Train your back once a week

Gymnastics once a week

And grip work once a week

....(I can imagine that you do more then this in one or more areas) going by this you are training hard 3 times a week.  As I said, I am sure that you do more then this so that is a #### of a lot of training.  Slow it down, take a break and then try to abbreviate things a little.

A lot of this may be wrong but this is just my opinion based on the info you gave us.

Welcome to the board Jett and good luck with the COC's! :)

Thanks for the feedback...

Yeah, I probobly am putting too much stress on my body in general. Im tryin to chage some of my habits such as when typing not rest my wrists on the desk, things like that. Im also trying to do better form and keep my wrists from taking any un-nessasary pressure. It doesnt feel that bad, but, your joints are one of the most important things to protect on your body, 'cause one injury to them can have you screwed for a long time.

Bad thing though is that gymnastics is a full time thing, after school 3 hours on weekdays, and another 3 hours on saturdays in the morning. Practice is hard enough as it is so I probobly wont do much grip training or weight training, maybe once a week after an easy practice.

Just ripped my COC Trainer out of the package and smashed it closed many many times already. I knew I should have ordered the #1, oh well. Still quite a challenge compaired to the one i was using before, one of those "heavy duty" ones, :hehe.

Well, train hard! :D