Index Finger Question

twig

When I bend I use either a DO or Folding style (I'm not sure which, but it looks v similar to the pictures I've seen of the Holles method). My index fingers touch each other at the centre of the bar, and are slightly higher, and further forward than the rest of my fingers.

OK, here's the question: recently I've noticed that after a bending session, my index fingers have been hurting as if the tendons are inflamed, does anyone have any advice as to what I may be doing wrong?

P.s. If you can't visualise my hands in the starting position, let me know and I'll try and sort out posting a picture.

If you are using the DO method then there is usually a space between the index fingers, DU (double underhand style is where you pinkies are either touching or very close.

To really give you a better picture and explanation I highly recommend to read David Morton & Greg Amidon's article for a wealth of information by the experts also if your preferred bending method is DO then Eric Milfeld's ebook MAXIMIZED BENDING is a lexicon of immense value that will no doubt save you wasted time, effort and most of all needless pain.

Maximized Bending

http://www.DIESELCREW.com/articles/gregdavebend.pdf

Now Go Get Bent! TWIG :D

I think what you described is pretty normal. You are using your fingers as a fulcrum and they are flexing during the bend. Work with volume to strengthen your hands and wrists and gradually increase the bars you are doing. You can get to a bigger bar faster by not taking that advice, but you do risk injury. It is hard not to shoot for big bends when you probably can get them. I think Sean Dockery has a tag line about slow steady progress....

Greg