Does competition improve individual gains?

Guest scott essery

36 members have voted

1. 1. Does competition improve individual gains?

• YES - Competition increases enthusiasm, drive and gains
    • NO - Competition is a means to an end, separate from training
    • DONT KNOW

Guest 115-1005574997

Should we only compete if we stand a chance of winning?

Does competition rekindle the training desires and even if you dont win, your personal progress would be far better than normal?

I can't speak from experience in grip comps, I have never been in one. If I did enter a grip contest I would probably take dead last. In other individual sports I have competed knowing I couldn't take 1st place, but I still had a great time competing and I learned a lot from people more experienced. In a grip comp I probably wouldn't enter if there wasn't a chance for me to place well, unless I was really ahead of the curve in one or 2 events. In that case I would do it just to get my performance in those lifts "official".

Also, in re-reading Scott's above comment, I think it is fair to say that you would probably want to go back to the same contest and do better next time. "Show improvement", if you will.

I think that the majority of people shy away from competition because they are scared of doing badly or not coming up to standard.  If you go to any of David Horne’s competitions it is blatantly obvious that this is not an issue - it doesn't matter if you come first or last, you gain the same amount of respect and encouragement from all competitors (even close rivals).  

Competition often results in new enthusiasm and interest in a sport.  There where a number of people that came along to David's competition having never attempted a pinch lift and left with new goals and aspirations (mainly geared around doing well at the Iron Grip Championship that will be held in the summer).  This has got to be a good thing.

Competition is also a great opportunity to show what you can do and get something back for all those hours of hard training that you have put in.  It's all very well doing a lift in your own garage or basement but it's so much better to showcase your ability in front of witnesses with cameras. It's also often the case that with a crowd of people there to cheer you on you will end up producing personal bests in some events.

Next Sunday I'll be competing in my first arm wrestling competition.  There's a good chance I'm going to get beaten quite badly, but I'm still excited about it.  For me it's a great chance to learn about the sport, actually meet the people that do it and hopefully come back with a new found enthusiasm that will keep me going back for more.

If there is a grip championship near you I can thoroughly recommend competing - support your sport :).

Do we have any other British Grippage members that plan to compete in this summers Iron Grip Championship?

Should you only enter if you think you can win ? No I don’t think so.. On Saturday at the grip endurance championships a friend of mine (Ian Farrish) Who had no experience in gripping (but is a hardcore weightlifter) came last, Did he decide that because of this he would give up gripping, NO... he is now starting to train in gripping for the grip championships later this year so I think that anyone who fancies a go at the sport should try whether they will win or not!!

Guest 115-1005574997

Jim

I must say that is THE best explantion why one should compete and THE reason I compete.

After suffering a few minor but confidence denting injuries before christmas, the enthusiasm and drive I obtained from just attending the competition is huge.  It has rekindled my pasion for the sport and just want to beat those old PB's!! :)

It has also open my mind to other avenues of the sport and nail bending is the next griping challenge.  I just cant wait! :)

Do I compete only if I have a chance of winning .. are you kidding .. when you know you're going up against people like Jason Horne then winning becomes a distant dream and I can only hope to not finish too far down the field.  Now don't think I'm a defeatist 'cos I'm not .. I give my all in competition . I'm just a realist and some of the guys (and girls) who compete in David's competitions are true grip monsters.  I compete because I enjoy it .. I did my first comp last year and it rekindled all of what I love about lifting .. even just being around people like David Horne, Michael Daly, Jim Wylie etc. is so inspirational you can't help but be fired up.  An added bonus is more often than not at these competitions you see world records being broken and lifts taking place that you can only dream about.  To see David Horne MASH that 520lb PDA gripper was staggering.  I would urge everyone .. no matter what your level of development to have a go in competiton, be proud of whatever placing you get 'cos at least you had the guts to get up there and do it in front of people ... I guarantee it will light a fire under your a## that will be hard to put out.  I for one can't wait for this years Iron Grip .. I've got a feeling it will be bigger and better than last years.

Cheers

Ian

I know when I do compete for the first time I will not be near the top.  That's ok.  My main point for participating would be to meet others who have similar interests, and learn as much as possible from them.  I would hope to leave with a greater appreciation for the sport and those who participate, as well as an increased passion in myself.