Training For # 3

showrmshldrs230

While doing deadlifts and shrugs, would it be beneficial to use a mixed grip? I am training to get the #3 with my right hand. I figure that a mixed grip will allow me to progress faster because my left hand is always slowing me down in a double overhand grip.

Beneficial to gripping or to DL? (mixed grip) I personally can't do grippers and DL the same day, or if I need to (because of time) I use wraps on the DL.

While doing deadlifts and shrugs, would it be beneficial to use a mixed grip?  I am training to get the #3 with my right hand.  I figure that a mixed grip will allow me to progress faster because my left hand is always slowing me down in a double overhand grip.

are you using straps?? if so stop!!!!!

No, I do not use straps. While deadlifting, the only thing that holds me back is my grip. When I do double overhand deadlifting and shrugging, my left hand is always the first to give out. Logically, that means my left hand grip strength has to catch up to my right hand strength in order to progress in my weight training. I don't necessarily care about my left hand strength because I'm trying to close a CoC # 3 with my right hand. I was wondering if a mixed grip would allow my right hand to progress without my left hand slowing me down.

If your left hand's weakness is holding you back in the deadlift, I would think you would care about its strength level. If you have two good hands, it just makes sense to me to develop both of them to their potential. Short, frequent extra work for your left hand will help it more quickly catch up.

I have found one hand hangs from a chinning bar for time to be a valuable exercise. It's a good one to motivate you to get the weaker hand up to the same level of strength/endurance as the dominant one. Once you can hang for 30 seconds, hold additional weight in your other hand.

Using the Trainer and/or #1 gripper for 3, 2 or 1 finger crushes and negatives both regular and reverse grip are also good for making sure there is parity between digits on both hands.

More immediately, learn to use a hook grip for your left hand (or both hands). You'll instantly be able to hang on to the bar, but start with 60-75% of your normal top set to get used to it, then work up to your max over a few workouts.