#1 CoC

Guest Nards

i was in the same predicament as you about a year ago.  because i was short on money i went ahead and ordered the #1.  i figured i'd make better strength gains than with the trainer.  the best thing i found to help with the close was doing timed holds by forcing the handles shut.  when the handles started to separted i squeezed harder, trying to force them back together.  this along with grip work in other areas (pinching, supporting, etc.) had me closing the gripper in about a month.  from there it's on to the #2 and 3 :D

Forget the chins and work deadlifts and farmer's walk. Very hard on the deads. Lot of singles. heavy weights on farmer's for short distance. You have to toughen your hands. And get the Trainer. 1/4 can be a very long time working to close it. Everybody here knows my struggle with short gap on the #3.

Guest kINGPIN

Check the posts on gripper tecnique and just work hard on them.  The one will go down very quickly once you apply proper form and you hand will increase in strength dramaticly at first and slow down as you progress.

Welcome to the board. :)

If you can, try to "cheat" it shut (that is, press it against your leg and close it) then try to hold it closed for as long as you can.  This is called a "negative".  Fight it all the way out!  Painful, isn't it?  That's why "grip training" is so much fun!!  :D

I dunno.... the #1 was a breeze for me - closed it right out of the bag.  It was the #2 and then the #3 I had to work on to close them.

• 3 weeks later...
:) I can now close it completely 3 times in a row,then,on rep #4 it's about 1/8 inch, then I stop,cuz I heard here that if you're not closing it-put it down 'til next time. Sometimes I'll hold it closed,but even that only lasts about 8-10 seconds. The funny thing is is that I have a rather large muscle belly to my forearms and well defined muscles,yet I'm comparatively weak to everyone here. My best deadlift is 340 for 5,too ???