Round Vs. Square Fbbc Stock

rolf

Short and sweet: Which one is tougher, the round or square FBBC stock?

Rolle

If you're comparing same-size diameter stock, square will be WAY harder to manage. I can do round stock like butter, but once it gets to the 1/4" square I'm stopped cold. I think someone posted here that some of the 1/4" square was comparable to IM Red Nail in strength, so that should speak volumes about how tough the stuff is!

VeGripper

QUOTE(climber511 @ Feb 5 2005, 01:55 PM)

1/4" Square CRS is wicked, nasty, ugly stuff meant to be bent only by strong guys. I finally kinked a piece just enough to see it but what I had was harder than a Red when I tested it.

Gator, with all things being equal, a piece of square stock is approximately equal to a round piece of stock 1/16" thicker in diameter. So, a 1/4" square equals a 5/16" round in terms of difficulty.  But in addition to this, the square makes for much more painful bending.

As you see my friend I had the same questions regarding that tough 1/4" CRS Square stock, which was answered by the experts. I also believe Franky said it was a good in betweener from the G8 and the Red Nail so that right there says tough with a capital "T". Don't let the small diameter fool you there is power in the Square.

NOW GO GET BENT! my friend. :laugh

I think Beatty gets that square stuff from some dude way down south, think his name is Lucifer or something...Brett

As an added not I did however give it a slight bend recently, but nothing close to having any way in hell to do a crush down.

I have only found one thing so far in reletively the same diameter that is as tough and unyeilding. That is this Super 60 penny nail I got a hold of, thank God I didn't buy but a pound of these coffin spikes because they look like they are going to sit for a while.

Thanks, guys! Now I know where to get my next load of stock. Granted, most of it will be round it seems... :tongue

Any advice on what size would be in the neighbourhood of the IM green (my first warm-up bend nowadays)?

Rolle

Iron Mind Nail Diameters and Lengths (all are Round CRS Stock ) included are the supposed pounds of pressure require to bend them (Yield Strengths)

WHITE Nail (110 lb) = 6" segment of 3/16" Round Steel CR

GREEN Nail (160 lb) = 5" segment of 3/16" Round Steel CR

YELLOW Nail (210 lb) = 7" segment of 1/4" Round Steel CR

BLUE Nail (260 lb) = 6" segment of 1/4" Round Steel CR

RED Nail (385+ lb) = 7" segment of 5/16" Round Steel CR

I think Beatty gets that square stuff from some dude way down south, think his name is Lucifer or something...Brett

Okay... No matter how cheesy that was, you got a good chuckle out of me. :laugh